ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What car after the Cup

Since Im not having much luck selling the Impreza, Im considering changing the Cup.

Since the wife is the main driver, Im letting her choose what to chop it in for and she has a short list of 3.................

1) Focus RS - 2.0L 212bhp FWD Turbo

2) Golf R32 - 3.2L 240bhp 4WD V6

3) Mini Cooper S - 1.6L 160bhp FWD Supercharged

Your thoughts?

didnt you read the shortlist Iain,:D why would she want to get rid of the cup for a slower car;)

and john, the subaru markets dead at the moment, aint it?? alot of top cars for sale and no serious buyers....

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC

Gotta be the Focus aout of those 3, but I wouldnt buy any of em! Not sure what id buy actually...

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Quote: Originally posted by talizman on 21 June 2004

Why would I want to trade DOWN? ;)

She wants a quicker car, not one thats weighted down with needless "luxuries"!!!!! :D
Yet all of the above are "weighted down"

Out of that list id go FRS. as its got potential. but if it was my own cash id get a 147gta

Also consider an Alfa 147 GTA (apart from the tyre bills...lol) or maybe a Leon Cupra R.

Out of your list though the RS is the only one to consider IMHO.

if it was my money, id get the r32, mainly cos it sounds sweet and will b able to get traction if it snows at any time!! i was gonna say white stuff, but then i realised i was leaving myself open to ridicule by u lot!!:p

Quote: Originally posted by Big Iain on 21 June 2004

Tom .2 of a sec matters though.
its not just the .2 of a sec, its the drivability and the fact you dont get a spongy ride;)

i drove all 3 cup, 172, 182 on the day i bought my cup...and why do you think i bought it??? cos i was happy with it!!!!!:D:D

JOHN,

go for an AUDI S3 Quattro....you wont be dissappointed!!!

its quick,

its reliable,

its got all those needless luxuries

its got good depreciation value

its just an AUDI what more!!!!

ross

DRIVABILITY IAIN....

and the fact i dont need all those needless luxuries!!!

and it felt a better car to drive, common knowledge on here mate!!!!;)

Quote: Originally posted by 172fastcup on 21 June 2004

and the fact i dont need all those needless luxuries!!!
read the post!!! ^^^^up there^^^^

drove the standard wannabe cup 182;)

and at the end of the day i made my decision and went for the CUP the real 172....:D

you sound like a guy who aint happy with is 172??? whats up do you want a 182???;)

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2

Focus RS john. You know it makes sense. And its cheaper to insure than a Cup. tehe!

Cup 172

Id get the Focus out of all those I think. Looks the best and goes very well and should hold its value better than the others.

However, if your spending 20+ grand then you could get a Cooper S Works Pack or some other conversion (BBR 275;))

[Edited by MIKE-CUP on 21 June 2004 at 10:38am]

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Quote: Originally posted by Roamer on 21 June 2004

Williams

Now youve tried the cup get the original and still the best - you know it makes sense.
Cant see it on the list. nice try.

Guys and gals,

I appreciate that the 3 cars she likes are not exactly comparable. (ie, turbo, n/a, supercharged, 4WD, FWD etc etc) but they are the 3 cars that she "likes"! :D

She has no idea of price, so thats why they are in pretty different ball parks.

Tomclio 182,

I appreicate that they are all "weighted down", but my point was that out of the 172s, Id go for the Cup every time.

With these cars, there isnt a "lightweight" version so its not an issue with them.

BossCup,

I agree, the 147GTA and Cupra R are cracking cars but shes having none of it! She hates Alfas, and wont take a 4/5 door, so they are both out Im afraid.

Roamer,

Already done the Williams thing!

I owned Williams 1 number 207 for a few years and it was one of the best cars Ive owned.

Sold it to a guy from Fife who pranged it numerous times, eventually writing it off! :( Think it has been repaired though........:confused:

Basically, the Golf is a non-starter, cos I have no intention of spending 22-23k on a bavarian tank. ;) IMO, they are bland, uninvolving and fail to set my hair on fire.

I think that after a Cup theyd be a bit of a come down in terms of driver involvement/enjoyment.

The Cooper S is a strange choice IMO and she likes its quirky looks.

Ive told her that the Cup has the Coopers scalp in performance terms so I think that is out of the running now.

The Focus, I cannot fault really. For around £18k, examples can be got now.

Some folk are still trying to sell them for £24k :eek: which is £4k over list!!!!!

Bottom line, the car must have similar performance to the Cup, and be 3 door, and good looking.

I think the Focus is leading the pack at the moment!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by 172fastcup on 21 June 2004

didnt you read the shortlist Iain,:D why would she want to get rid of the cup for a slower car;)
So why is the Cooper-S on the list?!

The R32 might sound better as far as the engine is concerned, but just the thought of owning a Golf makes me feel ill! YUK YUK YUK! (cant even bare to look at one!) Out of the list, Id get the RS and have a bit of cred.

They go as well as you need, and are easy to play around with Chips and zausts and just look better as well to get a bit more out of it.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

The Focus RS would be my choice, then the Golf, woulnt have the mini!

wouldnt have any of them...and the ford factor hanging over your head nope not for me...worse than renault for quality!!!

well i could be persuaded to buy the mini...then convert it to 200bhp:D

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

The focus RS is nice, but way overpriced for my liking, and the interior is absoloute cack.

How about an ITR

Used to have a Focus RS

I went CTR to FRS, and havent looked back, wouldnt mind changing my user name though, any ideas how:confused:

[Edited by DK-CTR on 21 June 2004 at 11:30am]

You wouldnt get dissed in an RS Focus like you would in a Mini! or a R32! At the end of the day, your not looking for the next 911 Turbo! Its a fast good looking car, and you wont find anything for this price that you cant find things to pick at. If its on your drive, all pollished it will not be embarressing!

I might even let you out of a junction! :eek:

172fastcup,

Audi S3 - Another "anonymous" car that doesnt really perform as its bhp would suggest. Bland IMHO. No offence to any owners. Less power to weight than the Cup!

Honda S2000 - Not a fan of the looks. Spectacular engine, 2.0L 237bhp, mmmmmmmmm. Expensive still.

Lotus Elise - Not for an every day commuter. Far too track orientated and un-compromising. Far too basic and uncomfortable inside too.

As for Ford build quality being worse than Renaults!...... dont you stretch your imagination too far! :p

DK-CTR,

If you want to change your name, just re-register with a new name. You have only made 5 posts so its not as if youll lose a high post count.