ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

just picked up 172 cup and love it!

172 Cup
I had a 182 FF about 5 years ago and loved it but always wondered what the raw, luxury free 172 cup would be like! After the 182 i got a golf r32, nice but something was missing, i then thought ok back to small hot hatch and got a nice mini cooper s, which dont get me wrong was alot of fun, then costs became a problem so i went and forked out on a 123d, anyway i jut got made redundant so wanted to have a nice car and get it for a decent price. So I have just gone and got me a 172 cup, 53 plate with 58000 miles for 3795, whith full dealer history and in mint condition, except a slight bit of kurbing but oh well! Anyway i just drove to birmingham to get it and on the way back i could not stop smiling, it has such a tranquil and relaxed feel at sensible speeds and driving style but when you come onto that slip road onto the motorway and floor it in 2nd, its like the big finale at a concert or gig! It roars and keeps on roaring and pulling and is like nothing iv experienced. It feels so different to the 182, from what i remember, it also feels kind of more solid and just in great condition. Obviously the driver involvement is 10x that of the BMW and to be honest i just could not stop smiling and chuckling to myself.

I know we have got 197s, 200s, R26's etc but lets just take a minute and remember how good these 172 cups really are!

Ok, it has no ABS, CC, Xenon lights, seats are rubbish and it is all a bit tacky, but it can only be described as a little boy that is rebelling against his posh parents! Its great, its wonderful and its a real car, and the colour is oh so look at me! Compared to my 182 in black, it just looks so cool!

Im sure you will agree, and some wont but I would go as far to say it is one of the best little hot hatches that a real driver could buy!

Clio 1970000000
Well said. Glad you're enjoying it. A lot of people overlook the fun factor, but obviously not the CS lot as we are driving rattling sheds that put big smiles on our faces.

PH2 172
I really miss my 172 cup really tempted to get another. I sold mine for a 197 F1 and that was aload of rubbish so gave that back to garage and got stitched up so low funds meant i was stuck with a saxo VTS but its nothing like my 172 cup :(. Love them

Clio 1970000000
I really miss my 172 cup really tempted to get another. I sold mine for a 197 F1 and that was aload of rubbish so gave that back to garage and got stitched up so low funds meant i was stuck with a saxo VTS but its nothing like my 172 cup :(. Love them

What was wrong with the 197?

PH2 172
Nothing just the 1 i brought i had it for 6 months and it was int he garage getting repaired at least once every 2 weeks electrics kept going window going up and down on there own brakes kept scoring there was rust on the boot wen they repaired it it was left with ovaspray over the whole car and runs in the paint and i had a liquid yellow 1 so looked very poor job shame though was a nice motor

Renaultsport 220T
Welcome back to clio ownership. Perfect description of what makes these little hot hatches special too.
:)

PH2 172
Wow. that's a shame. You must have bought a Friday afternoon car.

Yep i think so buddy was a shame was nice car just couldnt handle driving it 1 hour to the garage every time to get it fixed and it being stuck there for a week and stuck in a 1.2 loan car :(

Golf MK7,GSX-R600 L4
Nail on the head with that JimmyBS ... I've been shot of my cup 3 months now and although the Z4 is a different beast i dare to say its not as much fun as the cup ... even after 5 years of owning the cup it still made me chuckle to myself when i floored it in 2nd off a roundabout lol .... somehow i think i may be going back to one at some point in the future!

Astra SRI/ Hornet
Yep addictive little cars, had 1 for 2 years and still enjoyed it as much at the end. Find a tight twisty and bumpy back road and it will rock your world.

MG B roadster/172 cup
I'm picking one a 172 cup on monday 3750 65k, with k-tec stealth exhaust, eibach springs and koni dampers, i am excited but have managed to calm down a bit, then somebody reminds me how much fun its going to be! I think its going to be a long weekend...

Focus ST
I'll be swapping them with my mate Fossie for his turini's if i get the car :D

The ad says it comes with another set of wheels, hopefully they'll be turinis

172 Cup, Ibiza Cupra

Jesus , I never noticed that exhaust!
media

172 Cup, Ibiza Cupra
I might pop round to the garage after work and tell the guy to get it sorted. Saying that, it probably has the Chav appeal.

Focus ST
Holy cow that's a terrible exhaust!!

Update, going to see the silver 172 cup tonight... the 182 wheels have just been refurbed so i'll swap them for turinis... get it lowered, carbon splitter aswell

if i get it

172 Cup
Tupps still changing your cars more than your kegs as usual eh?

Give me a shout and let me know what the other wheels are :) x

Focus ST
Just rang, the car only comes with the 182 rims as they've just been refurbed... i'll swap them with fossie if i get it

The car is at peterlee, had the phase 1 5 month man, thats AGES for me

172 Cup
The 123d is to say the least pretty good fun...it has so much torque and when driven properly it can keep up with the best hot hatches out there!!

Il post some pics of my 172 cup a bit later, one thing wrong is the wheels are scuffed fairly badly but tbh its not a huge problem, it drives great, its going to take me a while to get my confidence back in it though as im so used to the secure feel of the BMW, when i drove this over the bumps and round the twistyzzz today at some speed i literally s**t myself haha, i felt like i was 19 again, it was great! Lots of fun to be had!!!