ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What car for around £4k

172 ff
Ok I have around £4k to spend on a decent car, im going to be working in Canada as of next winter, so I just need something good for between now and then, It has to be <60k Miles as i would need to sell it in 9-10 months time and get a good return.
Any recommendations as to what to look for?

ive seen a few 206 GTi's
and some ph1 172's

any others i should look at?
Cheers
Scott

182 Cup
I will probably go down in flames for this, but the MG ZR's (including 160's) didn't hold value well and can be had for £4,000. ZS's too can be had for good money - depends if you want a hatch or not.

Golf 7R
Id opt for a mint standard black 106 Gti low mileage with leather, fantastic little cars, for relatively hardly any money!

172 ff
yeah looked at them too, even the quiksilvers, like biscuit tins inside tho hard thin and plastic with only 90 or so bhp i think. got my eye on some 172s atm.
has the depreciation about done for these now? will i be able to sell one for not much loss with around 10k more on this in say 10 months time you reckon?

Meg on pistonheads £6995
buy wisely and you'll lose nothing!

i.e haggle VERY hard and buy up north, spend a day valeting and spend a long time taking absolutely brill pics. and doing detailed ad. when selling!

I flew to Aberdeen for £40 and drove home a car, saving approx a grand on prices near Northampton!

Last edited:
  FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
you could get a mint saxo vts or a 106gti for that money and you would have no probs shifting it on later

ian

Ph1 172
ph1 172 but I would say that!106 gti rather than 206 these are excellant value for money and loads of parts available I still miss my 106 rallye was a go-kart!!!

My girlfriend had a 206 GTi, we didnt like it at all, was really rattly and not that good handling, after she had a go in mine she got rid of her 206 and got a Hyundai Coupe until she found the right 172 or 182, I'd definitely get a phase 1 172, lots more fun to drive and a lot quicker too!