ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What car to get

190 BHP Willy 2

Right ive decided its time to get a new car, but what do I get? Ive narrowed it down to a mk1 172 or a Golf vr6 highline. Im swaying towards the golf especially with its better build quality and the fact itll hold its price better. What do you guys think?

oh i thought the interior was nasty just lots of shiny black plastic seats wernt too good either ok they are heated but didnt think they were much cop mate has one lots of torque but heavy and handle like a boat

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

mk1 172 = "yeehaa!", "Im going to wet my pants!" "Holy cr*p!!" <- actual quotes of people who have driven my std (decat zorst) mk1 172

VR6 = heavy understeering b*st*rd

Ive got a mate with a 3.0l tuned VR6 putting out 185hp on the wheels and on the track I slaughter him. In a straight line too my std mk1 172 is almost as quick...in fact over the 1/4 mile he is 0.1s quicker

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

VR6 = slllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllooooooowwwwww!!

Highline = Even worse plus its grp17??

Handling is sh*te (as are all mk3s) sound nice tho.

190 BHP Willy 2

insurance is ok.

25, 8yrs no claims, fully comp protected £612 for a vr6 highline and £692 for a 172

James,

I think it was, not a 100% sure though.

They are more a luxury hot hatch tourer, quick on the straights and will cruise at 120 all day, however dont turn into bends too sharply ;)

172 = fun all day long, but harsh sounding engine (in comparison)

VR6 = Comfy crusier with ace sounding engine but no cornering ability.

VW build quality vs Reno ................

Williams 3

Have you seen one to actually buy? Just that a friend of mine went looking for one with a reasonable amount of £ and found it quite difficult to get a gud one.

Maybe the 172 could be the easier option as newer, more around so more choice?

In terms of comfort of drive, the vr6 is very very nice and u feel v. safe and secure. The clio for the fun drive though. :)

I considered a VR6 when looking at Valvers a few years ago.

The main thing that put me off was the cost of petrol. Lets face it, you dont buy a Golf for short B-road blasts - especially not one that is famed for unbalanced handling from the heavy lump up front. So, maybe youd buy it to cruise up and down the motorway system, racking up intergalactic mileages? Er, not with 20mpg you wouldnt!

Ergo, a more economical hot hatch is probably better suited. Id say a VR6 wouldnt be noticably faster than a Valver at legal(ish) speeds, handles worse and would cost a lot more to run from day to day. I am also really fed up of hearing how VWs run forever etc - its just not true, as is reflected by personal experience and their pretty iffy ranking in customer surveys. Yeah, Renault arent brill, but at least they dont have a false image of solidity. Leave it to the Volvos and old Mercs of this world.

Id choose the Mk1 172. Bit more anonymous that a Valver or Willy, but lots of toys, able, rapid and arent yet at the age where they become money pits.

Ph1

Mk1 172 every time mate...... cheap to run goes like stink need I say more..........mind you i would say that ive got one !! ;)

Get it from a Reno dealer though.

Ph1

As for comfort I drove non stop from Dumfries in Scotland to Warwickshire non stop in summer and i felt as fresh as a daisy.......suspensions not that hard honest.