ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What coilovers/suspension is most rated?

Clio 172
Hi guys

Im looking into buying coilovers or shocks & springs for my PH2 172 but im not sure which ones to get

On my old cars iv had KW variant 2's but there rare to find for a clio and well over £1000.

Im obv looking for them to lower the car a little but im also after a nice ride aswell as it will be mainly road use with a budget of around £350 secondhand.

iv heard a few people rate raceland but they seem too cheap to be any good..

so your opinions would be greatly apprechiated

MK3 GTI golf 16v
with a budget of £350 you can get some nice second hand ones. raceland ones are alright but i wouldnt pick them if you could get something else

second hand id be looking for KW, H&R etc

wouldnt mind some bilstein coilies for mine. havent heard of a lot of people running them though

MK3 GTI golf 16v
second hand he could get some alright kit. maybe stretch a couple more dollars but he could get some proper coilies

i got some AP coilovers second hand for about £250, granted there not top of the range but they were very good to be honest

Clio 172
Yea im prety sure i can get a decent set of coilys for 350

Iv been offered a set or H&Rs not great condition but no leaks/ bad seals just need the rear coilover ring for 250

and some KTR fronts for 250

R53 Cooper S
iv heard a few people rate raceland but they seem too cheap to be any good..

so your opinions would be greatly apprechiated

Why people buy a car that's renowned for it's handling, then slap cheap, poor quality suspension on it is beyond me.:dead:

The only people that rate them are the children on here that are more obsessed with the 'l0wz Yo' rather than how it handles.

For road use you can't go wrong with sportlines imo.

172 cup, Impreza P1
Why people buy a car that's renowned for it's handling, then slap cheap, poor quality suspension on it is beyond me.:dead:

The only people that rate them are the children on here that are more obsessed with the 'l0wz Yo' rather than how it handles.

For road use you can't go wrong with sportlines imo.

Completely agree!

Second hand coilovers are hit or miss so be prepared for buying twice.

Id go for a set of eibach springs and an ARB.

Are you going for handling or the ride height?

Clio 172
Well i want to lower the car a little as im putting 15" 2118's on it. My main issue is the the handling and ride that they give. Alot of my area is built with country roads so i dont want to be hitting my head on the roof over every bump :)

So the suspension will be used more for fast road handling mainly B & C roads than motorways or even trackdays

Clio 172
Ah brilliant, Now do you guys recomend getting struts aswell or just keeping with my OEM struts which actually seem to ride pretty well???

If you have bumpy road I personally wouldn't even bother with Eibachs, granted they'll be comfier than coilovers but from past experience with friends the Eibachs kill shocks just like any other lowering spring.

How about try a set of 172 Cup/182 Cup springs? There slightly stiffer than th standard 172 springs so may be a slight benefit but wll only cost you around £30-40 tops, then spend the rest of your budget on a whiteline rear ARB/new shocks and geometry. Will transform the car and still be comfy/fun down the A/B roads.

Nick

172 Ph1, Lupo GTI
I've been throwing my 172 down country lanes on Pro-kit springs without any issue at all. I think its a bit too soft if you have 2 rear passengers and try driving fast as it all bottoms out, but the whining from the back slows you down before that happens.