ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What colour is it

Some help please people.When i got my clio i was told the colour was williams blue,my mate says its monaco blue,the paint code is 455,what colour is it?:confused:

Lionel Richie

Ben H

ClioSport Member

Williams No.123
04 December 2001
3822 Posts

Williams: The original homologation special, 400 RHD cars, numbered individually and made in late 1993. Basically, Renaultsport took advantage of FIA Rallying rules that allowed engine capacity of up to 2.0 litres when a car was homologated (at the time, they were using the 1764cc Clio 16V as the homologation car). In order to do this, they had to make 2500 road-going 2.0 Clio examples. The car was named the Williams to celebrate the Nigel Mansel/Williams/Renault F1 victories, although it was basically untouched by Williams F1 Engineering Ltd. Nevertheless, Frank Williams and Damon Hill are among the Clio Williams more famous owners.

The original edition was based on the Phase1 Clio 16V, with the various modifications basically concentrated on making the best hot hatch of the day an even more fitting home for the new Group A/N rallying 2.0 F7R engine. The Willy also wore that unmistakable trademark 449 Sports Blue bodywork and gold/silver rimmed Speeline wheels, with wider tracks filling the 16Vs already pumped-up arches and sporting a larger rear lip spoiler.

The distinguishing features over the Williams 2 and 3 are the Phase1 exterior/interior trim ("retro" would be kind;)), lack of sunroof/electric mirrors/ABS/basic sound system. None of the three editions have any mechanical differences worth mentioning.

Williams 2: Such was the amazing public and press reception for the original Williams (see http://www.cliosport.net/articles/williams-2.asphttp://www.cliosport.net/articles/williams-2.asp), that Renault produced a second batch of Willies in 1994: much to the anger of the original Williams owners. Still, with numbers of RHD cars at less than 400, these are again very rare. These were also Phase2 cars, which in line with the general Clio range are smoother-looking and more soundproofed cars - see elsewhere for details. The Willy 2 gained some of the refinements of the Clio 16V lost on the original Williams, such as electric mirrors. Still no sunroof or ABS and still 449 Sports Blue in colour.

Williams 3: Renault again gave in to the pressure and produced a final edition in 1995. These cars were again limited to under 400 RHD examples and were Phase2 models. They are distinguished by their Monaco Blue pearlescent paintwork (shared with the Clio 16V), which is a lighter colour than the 449 Sports Blue. These final editions came with an electric sunroof as standard, with ABS as standard (I think, or at least a very popular option).

My opinion is that none of these cars is generally in better condition as a group than the other. I looked at all three when buying mine and thought that they were about the same, with the Willy 3 in fact being the catergory of high milers. To some extent at least, its the look and your view that decides your favourite: Willy as the raw rally homologation special, Willy 2 the best of both worlds and Willy 3 as the refined final edition.

Ultimately, theyre very similar in looks and are identical under the skin - and as "the Best Hot Hatch Ever", thats just as well!

i think you must have monaco blue

Anyone else got a clio with a paint code 455? There must be someone else out there.The guy across the streets friend has a williams 2 and there is just a slight difference in colour when they are parked next to each other.

Willy 1s & 2s were 449 Sports Blue (Bleu Sport) same as the 16vs and the Willy 3 was Monaco Blue cant remember the code thou!!