ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What different gearbox mounts are available?

Renault Clio 172 Cup
So my car is making a lovely crunching noise when changing into second gear at high revs or when I'm driving in second gear at high revs and suddenly let off the accelerator it will also make the noise. Reading into the problem it sounds like the gearbox or engine mounts. So my question is what parts do I need to replace, just the gearbox or just the engine mounts, or both of them? Is there a standard renault replacement part or should I buy an uprated part?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks, Chris.

Renault Clio 172 Cup
Poly bush dog bone mount would be my first thing to change, only about £40

Is that one of the engine mounts? Where's the best place to buy then from? And do you know if they are all the same, so would a 172 or 182 fit a 172 cup. I've got a 172 cup.

LY FF182
Got mine from eBay, they come up on here a lot, or ktec, powerflex, demon Tweeks.. List goes on. It's the rear gearbox mount and it stops a lot of fore and aft movement from the engine meaning better gear changes. You want a ph2 twisted mount (ph1 is straight)

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/230867703578
http://www.k-tecracing.com/show_product.asp?id=1485&appid=2

just a couple examples for you :)

Evol engineering also do a replacement mount that's suppose to be good, does the same job

Renault Clio 172 Cup
Thanks mate appreciate your help! So those that you linked me to are the same rear gearbox mount that you think I should try replacing first? How many mounts are on the gearbox? On the second link you sent, the ktec one, do all 3 pictures make up the one mount that I need? Thanks.

LY FF182
One pic is the purple bush in the mount, one is purple bush as you get it and the other black bush as you get it, black is stiffer thanpurple. Yeah I'd definitely change that first.

The engine and box have upper mount drivers side, upper box mount under the battery, a support at the front and the dogbone at the back

Renault Clio 172 Cup
Thanks! So if I purchase that item from ktec i will get either the black or purple bush and the twisted metal mount both for £42?

LY FF182
The twisted metal bit is off your car, you have to knock the standard rubber out and press the new bush in. You either order black or purple, black is stiffer and slightly more expensive