ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What do people spend on their cars ?

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
It gets whatever it needs.
And then some😂😂😂
Reading through the comments in this thread has reaffirmed that cars are money pits, a depreciating asset.

I'm well aware that I am on a car enthusiast forum and I was a car enthusiast for quite some years, however how many people actually see a car as a tool rather than a toy? Also; there are alot cheaper ways to go much faster than a car, why not go down that route and save yourself thousands of pounds?
I bought my Clio because I wanted to have some fun without having to be travelling at ballistic speeds. Power and speed can be addictive, I guess I'm old enough to be sensible about it without resorting to volvo ownership yet😂.

iimushroomzii

Toilet roll king
  Transit Connect.
Apart from fuel, insurance and tax I've spent less than a fiver on mine in the past year on a new indicator bulb 🤣

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Btw; I've asked the question that I have because I'm curious about peoples mindsets and why they do, what they do. I am looking for a conversation, not a battle.

We all like living lol. I'm not quite sure what your point is with that one?

I enjoy corners too, but obviously theres more fun to be had and more talent required to corner fast on a bike vs a car. Agree or disagree?

I get the power ranger thing. These people that dress up as power rangers to ride on the road are daft 😂. You're bugged if you need the toilet.

Radio wouldn't bother me tbh. I haven't listened to a radio in years.
Get both and have the best of both worlds.
In my experience there is a lot less to go wrong on a bike which is a bonus and the ride is more of an occasion that driving a car will ever be

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Just sell it lol. Seems to be a saga that car?.
Believe me its crossed my mind but I cant accept defeat, except the belts it's only cost me in parts as I'm determined to do everything else myself. It's as much a project to get it up to a good standard as it is a car to drive.

CBR1000RR Fireblade
It’s all about statistics. Unfortunately bikes are way too dangerous! I am pretty sure by “I like living” is referred to that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Source?

I've been riding bikes for over 20 years and I'm still alive. So are my biking pals.

I do understand the sentiment of your post, but I struggle to grasp the mindset.

Why pay all that money for a depreciating consumable (a car is a consumable, not an asset) when it could be invested or used to clear debt saving you even more money in interest?

I especially those that modify daily driver vehicles, hence my discussion point.

RuskiWeldFab

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172, RS4 B7
Source?

I've been riding bikes for over 20 years and I'm still alive. So are my biking pals.

I do understand the sentiment of your post, but I struggle to grasp the mindset.

Why pay all that money for a depreciating consumable (a car is a consumable, not an asset) when it could be invested or used to clear debt saving you even more money in interest?

I especially those that modify daily driver vehicles, hence my discussion point.

Honestly think you registered on the wrong forum

Ps. Personal experience. Know (knew) too many great guys and girls who sadly are no longer with us or wheelchair bound. Not for me thanks. I sincerely hope that nothing ever happens to anyone you Bike with or anyone who bikes or drives in general. But unfortunately statistics is there
5b56763fc26d6911027eb76d56dfb01b.jpg

Last edited:

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Reading through the comments in this thread has reaffirmed that cars are money pits, a depreciating asset.

I'm well aware that I am on a car enthusiast forum and I was a car enthusiast for quite some years, however how many people actually see a car as a tool rather than a toy? Also; there are alot cheaper ways to go much faster than a car, why not go down that route and save yourself thousands of pounds?

Some of my cars have been tools, others have been passion projects. Ultimately, those cars are a hobby, so don't need to make sense financially, or even objectively. Something doesn't have to be "the best" for a person to have an emotional attachment to it.

The best things in life rarely make objective sense.

CBR1000RR Fireblade
Honestly think you registered on the wrong forum

Ps. Personal experience. Know (knew) too many great guys and girls who sadly are no longer with us or wheelchair bound. Not for me thanks. I sincerely hope that nothing ever happens to anyone you Bike with or anyone who bikes or drives in general. But unfortunately statistics is there View attachment 1446187

No, I'm in the right place. I've been active on this forum and other car forums for many years.

Sorry to hear about the passing of people you knew. I know of 2 people that have died in some sort of motorcycle incident and both were misbehaving when it happened.

I can't assume anything but I have to ask; do the statistics you have posted include track day incidents? (Ie non road riding?)

After all the fun is to be had on track and not on a public highway?

Same logic applies to bikes why waste your money on them when you could clear debt.

You've missed my point entirely.

Some of my cars have been tools, others have been passion projects. Ultimately, those cars are a hobby, so don't need to make sense financially, or even objectively. Something doesn't have to be "the best" for a person to have an emotional attachment to it.

The best things in life rarely make objective sense.

I agree whole heartedly. I had an old zx10r that I loved to bits and it was never "the best" but again; I think you've missed my point there.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Bikes and cars are completely different. Why is this being discussed here? Most people want to be able to go for a drive without getting pisswet through and freezing cold. Especially at this time of the year.

RuskiWeldFab

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172, RS4 B7
@Gouldy hope you didn’t take it the wrong way when I said you are in the wrong forum.
Statistic is a statistic. You can’t expect everyone to only ride on tracks once or twice a month... or not to misbehave.

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Source?

because it’s only money.. i’m cautious with money but we all end up in a box

CBR1000RR Fireblade
@Gouldy hope you didn’t take it the wrong way when I said you are in the wrong forum.
Statistic is a statistic. You can’t expect everyone to only ride on tracks once or twice a month... or not to misbehave.

Absolutely not, I appreciate your input. Thats the idea of a discussion.

You have a valid point however you could apply that logic to any method of transport, anyone at any given point could misbehave with a vehicle?

I've also just read through the department of transports latest road incident report;

Screenshot_20191231-094356_Drive.jpg
Screenshot_20191231-094330_Drive.jpg

Statistically you're more like to be killed as a pedestrian than you are riding a motorcycle on the road. Using that logic, does that mean that you're not going to walk down the pavement again or cross the road because it's too dangerous?

because it’s only money.. i’m cautious with money but we all end up in a box

I don't understand the concept of wasting money. It's very hard to earn so why would you throw it away?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
No real argument ref pedestrian Vs motorcyclist.

I'm buying some glaze today. That's £15-£20 in the car find. Jeez.

CBR1000RR Fireblade
No real argument ref pedestrian Vs motorcyclist.

I'm buying some glaze today. That's £15-£20 in the car find. Jeez.

It's a very valid and relevant point. There is no arguement because you cannot argue with statistics/ facts.

CBR1000RR Fireblade
Anyway; gone slightly off topic here.

So; cars are money pits. I don't get why people throw money at cars even though I did it myself when I was young and naive.

My current daily driver has cost me £0 in 7 months of owning it. I hope this continues for the remainder of my ownership.

thecrim22

ClioSport Club Member
  various
plus it save us spending it all on drugs and hookers.

ive got 8cars sat on my driveway just now all are fully road legal, why have so many? why not. do i drive them all? hardly ever as im usually working or driving the work van. so again why do i have them and why do i spend so much money on "objects" that sit around? because like most others on sites like this i enjoy it, i enjoy cars, and when i get the chance i enjoy driving them, although the increase in police presence in our neck of the woods has taken the enjoyment out of driving and even at legal speeds!

mainly we're here for a good time not a long time so why the hell not, @Gouldy if you're into bikes then fine i have friends and family that are bike people some are both bikes and cars one of my best mates is into both and spends a fortune on bikes and cars. why? because he enjoys it as we all do.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
It's a very valid and relevant point. There is no arguement because you cannot argue with statistics/ facts.

Just to put this to bed, @imprezaworks is bang on, more pedestrians than bikes hence the figure you posted as a total looks higher for pedestrians, but proportionately motorcyclists are at a higher risk than all other road users (except cyclists).

ROSPA sum it up nicely in their road casualty report;

“Although motorcyclists only account for 1% of total road traffic, they account for around 18% of deaths on the road. Along with pedal cyclists and pedestrians, motorcyclists are vulnerable road users, as they have a higher crash and injury rate than vehicle occupants because they do not benefit from all the protective features, such as seat belts, airbags and other impact protection features.”

Regarding what people spend their money on, I couldn’t care less as long as they’ve earned their money and not stolen it.

People spend on other people. People spend on houses. People spend on cars. People spend on cats / dogs / snakes. People spend on tattoos. People spend on drugs. People spend on live, laugh, love stencils. Etc.

What you think is wasting money, isn’t what others may think is wasting money. Although we’re probably universally aligned that spending on live, laugh, love s**t is an indicator of insanity.

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
My old 182 cost me 1k to buy then probably spent 7k ish on it factoring parts and labor. Also was spending around £500 a month on fuel.

My old Civic was £400 then probably spent another 5-6k restoring it.

Dread to think the total spent on all my cars over the past 11 years.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
I always tell people I dont spend my money on fags, beer and blow anymore so I pummel money into my cars and buying parts to hoard away.

My mrs once lost it with me because I bought 7 cup spoilers for £200. Little did she know that I made over double selling them to friends of friends in France and the Netherlands. Same with when a box full of unbroken 172 ECU brackets turned up that are now sat in the garage🤷‍♂️😂 I'm a firm believer in having multiple hobbies but one you can make money on is the best! Yeah I might spend thousands on cars and not get the full return but what return would you get out of smoking or getting tattoos, other than not being able to breathe or thinking you look like a hard c**t.

Spend your money while you're alive, because once you're gone you cant do f**k all

CBR1000RR Fireblade
Just to put this to bed, @imprezaworks is bang on, more pedestrians than bikes hence the figure you posted as a total looks higher for pedestrians, but proportionately motorcyclists are at a higher risk than all other road users (except cyclists).

ROSPA sum it up nicely in their road casualty report;

“Although motorcyclists only account for 1% of total road traffic, they account for around 18% of deaths on the road. Along with pedal cyclists and pedestrians, motorcyclists are vulnerable road users, as they have a higher crash and injury rate than vehicle occupants because they do not benefit from all the protective features, such as seat belts, airbags and other impact protection features.”

Regarding what people spend their money on, I couldn’t care less as long as they’ve earned their money and not stolen it.

People spend on other people. People spend on houses. People spend on cars. People spend on cats / dogs / snakes. People spend on tattoos. People spend on drugs. People spend on live, laugh, love stencils. Etc.

What you think is wasting money, isn’t what others may think is wasting money. Although we’re probably universally aligned that spending on live, laugh, love s**t is an indicator of insanity.

Whilst I agree fully. The way the original statistics were put forward to me, did not reflect how many bikes were on the road vs how many other vehicles. Hence my response using the exact same mindset but quoting a different report.

What I see as wasting money will differ to someone else's waste of money. There was no way I was going to attempt to convince a car enthusiast forum that cars and modifying cars was a waste of money...... I was however intrigued by the mindset of people that, and this is not aimed at anyone in particular, spend a fortune on cars, car payments and modifying cars when they still owe thousands on their mortgage for example.

As I mentioned In my previous post; i was looking for a discussion point. Nothing more.

I struggle to understand why people would lease an m4 for example, when there's a massive finance agreement attached to it and all they do is drive it too and from work? Why've you done that, So you can get to work faster? 🤷‍♂️

I mentioned bikes because obviously I'm a biker and have been for years. Bikes are the ultimate boy racer toy. Why would you not buy a cheap runaround, buy a bike that was faster than 95% of the cars out there for well under £5k and say invest all the money left over pay down the mortgage etc?

That's my mindset on the topic, I was curious of others mindset's.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Also; I some mong that has "live, laugh, love" tatoo'd on their ribs. Ridiculous.

Clio 197,with megan'
At 79 years old, I run a Meglio. I have certainly spent more money than the car is worth. We all know people who spend thousands on their cars, BUT, it is their money, to do as they wish with it.Perhaps we should have a Track Day, with people who have over spent by X amount on their cars, and if we start now, we should be finished by next Xmas!.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Whilst I agree fully. The way the original statistics were put forward to me, did not reflect how many bikes were on the road vs how many other vehicles. Hence my response using the exact same mindset but quoting a different report.

What I see as wasting money will differ to someone else's waste of money. There was no way I was going to attempt to convince a car enthusiast forum that cars and modifying cars was a waste of money...... I was however intrigued by the mindset of people that, and this is not aimed at anyone in particular, spend a fortune on cars, car payments and modifying cars when they still owe thousands on their mortgage for example.

As I mentioned In my previous post; i was looking for a discussion point. Nothing more.

I struggle to understand why people would lease an m4 for example, when there's a massive finance agreement attached to it and all they do is drive it too and from work? Why've you done that, So you can get to work faster? 🤷‍♂️

I mentioned bikes because obviously I'm a biker and have been for years. Bikes are the ultimate boy racer toy. Why would you not buy a cheap runaround, buy a bike that was faster than 95% of the cars out there for well under £5k and say invest all the money left over pay down the mortgage etc?

That's my mindset on the topic, I was curious of others mindset's.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Also; I some mong that has "live, laugh, love" tatoo'd on their ribs. Ridiculous.
I agree with your lease comment, as I said before having had my 182 for nearly 4 years and no monthly payment associated to it swapping for a newer car just seems a waste of cash. However if I was lucky enough to be saving £500+ a month I'd have to ask what I was saving all that money for? I've never missed a payment on anything so what's the point in banking all that money with no intended use for it? To invest it to make more money I don't have anything to spend it on? I think if I were in that situation I'd maybe have a nice new car sat on the drive instead of an old Clio I'd spent more than its value in parts on for no apparent reason.
I don't think I've bought anything for my car in the last 6 months or so, but I know I've spent a good few ££ on running related things. Wtf is the point in spending that to go out and run 10k when I could use the car to do it in a fraction of the time? 😂 It's all relative and people enjoy doing different things. Life can take unexpected turns without warning, enjoy it while you can however you can.

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Shocking revelation, cars cost money!

I don't get this argument, people are free to spend their money on whatever they want! I spend an obscene amount on my cars and bike in maintaining, tracking, modifying and driving to and from work. I do it because I'm fortunate enough to be able to and because I enjoy it. Even my boring commute is made better by being in an M3 instead of a bag of s**t corsa.

CBR1000RR Fireblade
Shocking revelation, cars cost money!

I don't get this argument, people are free to spend their money on whatever they want! I spend an obscene amount on my cars and bike in maintaining, tracking, modifying and driving to and from work. I do it because I'm fortunate enough to be able to and because I enjoy it. Even my boring commute is made better by being in an M3 instead of a bag of s**t corsa.

I'm assuming this is directed at me?

Correct me if I'm wrong?

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
I'm assuming this is directed at me?

Correct me if I'm wrong?

More of a generic comment mate going along with the posts, not meant to be aimed directly at you?

Just a bit of a pointless discussion thats been had a million times on here.

CBR1000RR Fireblade
More of a generic comment mate going along with the posts, not meant to be aimed directly at you?

Just a bit of a pointless discussion thats been had a million times on here.

I get you. Like I said; I was just curious to know other people's mindsets was all. It was never meant to be an argument only a discussion.

Reactions: Pep

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
If you are in a position to do so then spend money on what you enjoy, what's the point in life if you are just going from one day to the next without enjoyment.

What everyone enjoys is different, if it brings you happiness then what does it matter? If i wasn't saving for a deposit then i would have a nice motor im sure. Right now it does kill me, but i'm only going to work and back most of the time and its good enough for that.

Just be careful if you go down the finance route, always best to save/buy outright if you can.

Clio 172 Cup
Not been pointless for me I have enjoyed chatting to people and hearing people’s views and experiences 🤷‍♀️