ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

what do they do in a service

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
I Change:

Oil
Oil Filter
Air Filter
Fuel Filter
Spark Plugs
Brake Fluid (Optional)
Power Steering Fluid (Optional)

Iv probably missed some stuff off but im too tired to think atm

Lotus Elise
cabin filter also.

And generally check the car over and advise the customer if anything is on its way out.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Depends on the "garage" really - most are just oil and filters.

Clio 1.2/Lotus Metro
Depends on the "garage" really - most are just oil and filters.

Like MicKPM said depends what garage, our place a minor service is just oil and oil filter, don't even do the air filter.

I tend to change oil, air oil and fuel filters. every other service the cabin filter and just check the rest of the car over for faults

Megane 225 F1
I'm not saying you should use K-tec (I'm not saying you shouldn't either) but here is the page of their services.

Depends what your car needs.

Has it had its cambelt changed? When was it last serviced?

172 cup
its had its cambelt done , last service was in febuary. only done 5000 miles since . plugs were done at 35000 now on 48000. so i will just change oil and filters i prefer to do it my self if poss as most of it is just swapping parts .

Megane 225 F1
In that case an oil and oil filter change should be fine. Look over the car and check the coolant as well.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Alot of modern Renaults also need other items looking at during a "service" to such as throttle body's require cleaning, airboxes de-oiling, EGR valves and intercoolers cleaning out, etc. Proberbly the most important part of any "Service" in my opinion though is the visual inspection process; In my workshop that includes the vehicles brakes (discs/drums and all friction material is measured), wheels & tyres (Condition and tread depth is measured), Suspension/Steering/Running gear (All bushes, boots and ball joints are checked for play), along with other essentials such as the exhaust, hydraulics, pipework, etc...

A full written report is also given stating what was found and recommended should any work be required - "Oil and Filters" is not a full service!

ITB'd MK1
for a 12k service (most basic one) I will change oil, oil filter, air filter and cabin filter. Looking for engine oil leaks while i'm there. Then an inspection of the condition of the brakes for excessive or uneven wear, and corrosion of the hydraulic lines. Condition of the suspension - looking for leaks and broken springs, worn balljoints and damaged bushes. Then a quick check of the exhaust for corrosion, cracks, blowing joins and condition of the hangers. Then a once over with some basic lubrication of battery terminals, bonnet catch

Then depending on specific knowledge of the weak points of a car other visual checks. for instance clios are very bad for broken CV boot clips, most fords are bad for worn front suspension arm bushes causing excessive camber.....etc

Further requirements are normally highlighted by a diagnostics check, and advice on any action needed can be given based on this and the mileage of the car.

Leave blocks of wood down the back of engines, screws left in the scuttle panel and test driven at 100 mph from cold around the local industrial estate (witnessed by best mate) or is that just my own experiences of a main dealer?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Leave blocks of wood down the back of engines, screws left in the scuttle panel and test driven at 100 mph from cold around the local industrial estate (witnessed by best mate) or is that just my own experiences of a main dealer?

Yes that's also what all decent garages do along with changing your mirror/seat positions, alter all your radio presets to something pumping out tunes with +160bpm tracks, set the bass to +9 and trebble to -4 (You need a bit I guess) then send the "young-un" to the chippy at lunch time with the windows down. I once found a Snap-On 1/2inch drive flexi-rachet in one customers scuttle area... thats now mine :lol:

2004 182FF

My dad got his 08 GTi back from the dealers once with 3.8m and 14mpg average on the trip computer. Believe me, 14mpg is possible but you have to driving the f**king nuts off it.

He got the service free.

Did you complain about it?

Astra SRI/ Hornet
i always put descrete marks on oil filters etc and never once found a garage that hasnt done it properly. had an extra 34 miles on my 205gti when i got it back from an mot though. he did say i love these cars and admitted it straight away so let him off as he fixed a few things for nothing.