ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What do you think this sound could be?

Clio 1.2 Extreme.
Basically about 5 months ago i noticed this grinding sound i think coming from my clutch when i drive about 45+ and take my foot off the throttle its a quite loud grinding sound very noticeable from inside of the car. Anyway i remember spinning out one day in the wet weather hit the curb knocked my tracking well out and but the sound stopped and hasn't been back since. Anyway today its come back again and its very irritating because its hard to explain and its a horrible noise, and the sound doesn't even go when i press down on the clutch. Its a 52 plate clio and when the noise started it was on 67k miles and now its on 73k i think.

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
Get car up to 50mph and have the sound making its noise, then put car into neutral and coast at similar speeds, if the noise remains, its wheel bearing.

Clio 1.2 Extreme.
Get car up to 50mph and have the sound making its noise, then put car into neutral and coast at similar speeds, if the noise remains, its wheel bearing.
Thank you mate i'll jump in my car in a minute! Any idea how much they cost to get renewed??

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
Thank you mate i'll jump in my car in a minute! Any idea how much they cost to get renewed??

Depends on the place. If I remember correctly its £30 ish for wheel bearings, then an hours labour as they need to press bearings in. so dependant on the labour charges you could get it done for £80 a side

Clio 1.2 Extreme.
Depends on the place. If I remember correctly its £30 ish for wheel bearings, then an hours labour as they need to press bearings in. so dependant on the labour charges you could get it done for £80 a side
Thank you mate hopefully it's only one side eh!

clio 172
if it was wheel bearing it wouldn't make any difference if you was on the gas or not if it was a bearing as was making a loud girding noise DONT DRIVE THE CAR in case it collapses jack the car up and see if any play in wheel...have you looked to see if break pads are ok?does it pull to 1 side when making the noise?

Clio 1.2 Extreme.
if it was wheel bearing it wouldn't make any difference if you was on the gas or not if it was a bearing as was making a loud girding noise DONT DRIVE THE CAR in case it collapses jack the car up and see if any play in wheel...have you looked to see if break pads are ok?does it pull to 1 side when making the noise?
It's strange that i've had no worrk done on my wheels apart from getting new tyres like 6 months ago and when i pressed down on the clutch the sound always used to, I've had new breaks and tracking done from 2 weeks ago so breaks should be fine and i haven't noticed it pull to one side so far

clio 172
if thats the case i would say clutch thrust bearing on its way...you normal get alot of warning with a wheel bearing will whine for ages b4 making a grinding noise like i say easy way to cheak is jack wheel up and see if and play in the wheel doesnt sound like wheel bearing to me tho

clio 172
It's strange that i've had no worrk done on my wheels apart from getting new tyres like 6 months ago and when i pressed down on the clutch the sound always used to, I've had new breaks and tracking done from 2 weeks ago so breaks should be fine and i haven't noticed it pull to one side so far
only reason i thought may pull u might of have a sticking caliper but as b4 i would say clutch thrust bearing with what you have said

Clio 1.2 Extreme.
if thats the case i would say clutch thrust bearing on its way...you normal get alot of warning with a wheel bearing will whine for ages b4 making a grinding noise like i say easy way to cheak is jack wheel up and see if and play in the wheel doesnt sound like wheel bearing to me tho
only reason i thought may pull u might of have a sticking caliper but as b4 i would say clutch thrust bearing with what you have said
Yeah at first i thought that might be the caliper sticking which probably did wear down my breaks a lot till i spun out! Knowing my luck its both! Clutch thrust bearing sounds expensive also?