ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

what floor standers

i have asked on av forums and i just seem to get overlooked on there

anyway need some ideas

love the look of tangent clarity 8's in red (i had the 4's for a day and they sounded nice in the brief time i used them)

tannoy f4's have rocketed up in price again and i dont want to pay 300 for them when only a few weeks ago they were 120 ! but supposedly they are very very good

really dont want to spend too much more than 200

as for amp i dont have one yet :) so need a suggestion for that too i have no intrest in going 5.1 or even 3.1 or 2.1 so whats the best way to go since i still want to use it with 360/tv/pc etc

Clio mk3 1.2 Extreme
Im using a marantz amp which would work fine with all the stuff you want to use it with.

As far as speakers Tannoys are good.
Check out richersounds online

Clio 172 Cup
You definitely needing floorstanders? I've got Wharfedale Diamond 9.1's wi decent stands and they're amazing!

i like floor standers as i dont want a sub i was thinking bookshelf may just be a bit lacking ?

but im open to suggestions really

Clio 172 Cup
I'd defo give the Wharfeldales a listen - you won't get better for the price - sub £200 floorstanders might give a deeper bass but they'll be compromised everywhere else.

Cambridge Audio and Marantz do some great cheapish amps as well

Mini JCW
i like floor standers as i dont want a sub i was thinking bookshelf may just be a bit lacking ?

but im open to suggestions really
Where are these going to be placed, near a wall? Or will they have plenty of breathing space?

the tangent clarity 8 's in red are £219 but the blacks are £400 !!

31a3WOzvadL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Mini JCW
they will be stood maybe 2ft from a wall (from front of the speaker )

Do you really feel you need floorstanders? As with your budget they aren't going to be great tbh - if I was to buy floorstanders I wouldnt look at spending under £700 / pair as you will be comprimising on quality and clarity (you will get greater scale but poor SQ).

Your budget is much better suited to bookshelf / standmounted speakers (theres a thread on AV forums discussing the pros / cons of bookshelfs vs floorstanders which makes an interesting read ;)), if you look for a standmounted speaker with decent freq range, couple it with a decent set of stands you will get a suprising amount of bass and low end rumble from them.

For example I run a pair of these up front:

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/3226

and they produce a better 'scale' and much tighter more accurate but also bigger low freq response then what I used to run here :

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/4944

What i'm saying is, with your budget, you would be better off getting a more adept standmounted speaker then a lower quality floorstander IMO.

I suggest something like these XTZ which have been getting a VERY goog reveiw for the price on AVF (even better then some MKs in a side by side comparison) :

http://www.xtz.se/produkt.php?allmant=true&produkt=6&eng=true

or something like :

http://www.petertyson.co.uk/ebuttonz/ebz_product_pages/monitor_audio_br2.shtml

both would be well combined with these stands :

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/443

I run them ^, well commended, very well made.

HTH

Mini JCW
what amp would you recommend

Whats your budget and will you be listening to music / watching movies / playing games through it most? Also have you budgeted for interconnects - normally reccomneded allocating 5 - 10% of your budget for these.

Mini JCW
budget 300 ish for an amp will be for tv, movies from pc, 360 and music and later date bluray player

This amp will give a great trade off between music capability and out right muscle for movie soundtracks, it was on my shortlist when I was looking earlier in the year :

http://petertyson.co.uk/ebuttonz/ebz_product_pages/yamaha_dspax763.shtml

I'd choose the above over the equivelant onkyo (ugly and unrefined) and denon offerings. Great value for the features it offers, including HDMI switching, and analog upconversion:)

Full Fat 182
I quite fancied a ful 5.1 setup inc. the sub from the XTZ range after reading the reviews.

Can't fault the Yam amp either, listened to it hooked up to your Quads bigger brother in Superfi on Sadlergate shortly before Christmas and loved it. Can't fault it for the money - definately a contender even if you don't need 5.1 dude

thats a hell of a lot of money for the full setup isnt it !

i wish i could get the 2 sups to sit uner the speakers hehe

:( but i cant :(

Full Fat 182
Tis hey. Love the look of them tho and they are meant to be a lot of gear for the money. Right time to buy too as they will be snapped up by an imported before too long plus the usual 40% markup they will slap on the price

Full Fat 182
You use your 360 through VGA then?

2 options then. Don't use the amp to do your video switching or swap your eggbox for an HDMI model. That, or go component i guess? Doens't it upscale component to 1080p too actually?...

it crushes blacker than black blacks and whiter than white whites lol so the levels below video black and above video white the detail is lot in them

this is only an issue for pc's running over hdmi as they use the wider colour space unless the video material was incorrectly mastered

after much debating
i went for a CA azur 640A V2 in black i almost got a 840A V1 but it had gone by teh time id got there

anyway now i just need to order the 93wmt's :) stands and cables

oh and maybe next month a bk xls 200 sub

Full Fat 182
I've ran a CA amp for years in my hifi and also got the matching CD player (though that's not used much anymore) and rate them really highly. I've got an old set of Mission Floor standers also and it's perfect for ipod listening and eggbox gaming. That said, i want a fully DD/DTS setup that will also do HD formats once I upgrade to bluray - that's most definately out of the window what with redundancy and all....!

just bought speaker stands and cable and connectors too

SOUNDSTYLE Z2ii stands
soundstyle_z2new_pair_1400.jpg

van damme black bi wire cable 4x2.5
V542000.jpg

and profigold 7mm spades

pga8233.JPG

i dont think he has :D
im just looking at what to mass load teh stands with so far early learning centre sand is winning lol

may try that with some lead shot

on granite plinths

Mini JCW
i dont think he has :D
im just looking at what to mass load teh stands with so far early learning centre sand is winning lol

may try that with some lead shot

on granite plinths

I never added any additional mass to the Atacamas, it's supposed to improve and define bass response and roll off - though from what i've heard the XTZ's have a decent low end response so i'd run without initially IMO (unless they are really unstable).

*Edit - i'm considering a granite plinth for my future SVS sub *

Mini JCW
well we will find out when xtz get back to me:rolleyes:

Don't bother PM'ing them on AVF as they never reply, when I was enquiring about the 26s, I e-mailed them and always got a reply within 24 hours :)

Does the 640A offer bi-amping facilities? (i can't remember tbh).

it has a pre out for a power amp but im just going to bi wire it from the same outputs if it improves it really who knows but it hardly costs anything to find out really

Mini JCW
it has a pre out for a power amp but im just going to bi wire it from the same outputs if it improves it really who knows but it hardly costs anything to find out really

As long as it offers 6th and 7th channels for extra rear surrounds, then usually it will allow bi-amping. As the XTZs are big speakers that can handle a suprising amount of power, its worthwile and it will tighten up the bass a bit.

Mini JCW
i went for a stereo amp for now bud rather than av amp as bit just sounded much better for music

Fail on my part:dapprove: ( I even looked at these amps as I was considering stereo myself at one point!).

Can't go wrong with CA amps tbh - a review is in order when its all setup though :)

I went for an Arcam AV amp as it was the best compromise between music and muscular soundtracks on films / games that I could buy in my meagre budget lol.

hehe tbh the gf keeps shouting at me every time she hears i have bought more :D

when we move i will upgrade to a av amp and just use this for music but anything is better than tv speakers :)