ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

what happens if the aux belt / pully fails

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
A friend called me saying his car had broken down and would not start.

I had the car delivered to my house on Sunday morning..

normal 172

clilclio.jpg

window washer jet unclipped

IMG_9920.jpg

bonnet off.... much better for access etc

IMG_9921.jpg

engine cover off

IMG_9919.jpg

checked the aux belt.. why is only half there?

IMG_9918.jpg

Pelham, coil pack, map sensor, air temp sensor, ICV sensor, TPS sensor and throttle cable removed

IMG_9922.jpg

Arch liners, sump pad, upper grill, bumper, fog light loom, T-piece slam panel, injection rail protector, wheels off and car jacked up on stands

IMG_9930.jpg

Yep defiantly only half the AUX belt..... ekk

IMG_9931.jpg

Ohhh the pulley has lost its bearings and sheared from the end-case........nice

IMG_9932.jpg

Aux belt removed..well one side of it, it looks like a piece of string lol...wonder where the other half could be? :S

IMG_9933.jpg

Oil separator and solenoid valve for the VVT removed.

IMG_9938.jpg

Coolant drained, temp sensor unclipped, loom clips and earth detached from head and removed the top alternator bracket and the lower inlet, fuel rail, injectors etc.

IMG_9939.jpg

Top suspended engine mount removed and cam belt cover (supported engine on jack)

IMG_9934.jpg

Oooooh...............found the other half of the aux belt wrapped around the inlet pulley

IMG_9935.jpg

IMG_9936.jpg

IMG_9937.jpg

IMG_9952.jpg

Now I couldn’t remove the pulleys as the belt had snapped! So they would just spin! Ahhhh! So after a lot of faffing about and tapping with a rubber mallet I got the rover cover off!

IMG_9940.jpg

IMG_9941.jpg

My ingenious way of not losing the tappets original places! Fitted each one in a money bag and labelled to each corresponding fig on the diagram.

IMG_9942.jpg

All the bolts bagged up and marked in order!

IMG_9943.jpg

Cracked the head bolts loose,

IMG_9944.jpg

Removed the head :D

IMG_9947.jpg

11 bent valves

IMG_9962.jpg

And one nicked piston

IMG_9976.jpg

And a few “before hand shots of the head ports” roll on BenR port and bowl headwork! It’s also having cams, inlet match, remap new gaskets, and a few extras :D

Watch this space

Ouch! And the muppet at Renault was convinced when I got my 172 that if the aux belt went it would most deffo not take the cam belt with it! He was convinced that it was ok and if the aux goes, the cam is protected as its incased. I might email him a link to this thread (yes, this is a service manager!)

They did do the aux belt along with the alternator after it burnt out on day 4 of ownership! grrrh!

@Mells - its well known that if the aux belt snaps it will more than likely take the cam belt with it.

@Ben_P Nice one for taking all those photos and posting this up, it goes a long way to showing people how important having the belt changes done on time is on the 1*2s

@Mells - its well known that if the aux belt snaps it will more than likely take the cam belt with it.

@Ben_P Nice one for taking all those photos and posting this up, it goes a long way to showing people how important having the belt changes done on time is on the 1*2s

I agree fella. It was trying to convince a service manager that that was the case. He was under the impression that they only need to be serviced every 18,000 miles and both belts doing at 72k (very old renault info). Apparently, they service at least 2 RS a week so he knew what he was talking about :clown:

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Jeez that did alot of damage! Had mine changed along with the cam belt at the 72k/5year service, cam pully I assume?! is still squeaking on cold mornings though :S

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
you need the locking tools to get the pullies off, check you haven't damaged the rocker cover

it came off fine in the end, no damage to head r cover

i have all the tools bar the pulley one :(

ben is lending me his to re-time it

Lots of Alfas
Nice work, he/she made a good job of that. That idler always seems to be a weak point, its a bit exposed to the elements all the way down there.

How many miles has it done??? Thats the cleanest valve cover ive ever seen, normally they start to leak oil up through the bolts.

IMG_9922.jpg

172 Race Car
Good reason there to have the aux pulleys changed and not just the aux belt like so many people have done. from my experiance (all makes and models) its 90% of the time a pulley failure not the belt. Seen that lower pulley fail many times on megane's etc. sometimes takes part of the sump with it on those

This thread should be a sticky as a warning!

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
Nice work, he/she made a good job of that. That idler always seems to be a weak point, its a bit exposed to the elements all the way down there.

How many miles has it done??? Thats the cleanest valve cover ive ever seen, normally they start to leak oil up through the bolts.

IMG_9922.jpg

69k mate, its been off before for the cambelt

:)

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
Had it done many miles since the last belt change? Glad I got my belts and pulleys done a few months back after seeing that.

I agree with Burp this should be stickied as a warning for other members.

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
im not sure of the history

but it was a very old belt, what was left of it was in a poor state (cracking when bent, very dry, could pick bits off it

Silver 172 phs1
that car looks familiar lol. nice one for doin this m8, cant went until its finished and back on the road with all the extras. cant wait to get those coilovers on on saturday aswel.