ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What have you ordered? *Detailing*

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Where did you find 1l of Tardis? Can only find dodgy eBay sellers of it or from retailers in 5l

Impressive order none the less

I've always been an advocate of buying it properly. Sadly this is a case of do as I say, not as I do, as I no longer detail the car more than once a year.

So yes, ebay jobbie :s

107 Track Car & C4
Just bought some AutoGlym Wheel Cleaner & Tyre Dressing, along with some Dodo Juice 'Light Fantastic' wax, Microfibre cloth's and towels :)

Titanium 182
Auto Finesse - Revive Trim Dressing
Auto Finesse - Satin Tyre Dressing
Gtechniq C6 - Matte Dash
CarPro - Iron X 500ml
Gtechniq - L1 Leather Guard
Foam Wax Applicator x 4

Recently lost faith in autofinesse, bought almost all their products only to find out most of it is rebottled. And marked up by 100% great marketing. Angelwax were caught pouring wax into autofinesse pots too.

Plus at waxstock James was more interested in counting his cash rather than answer some questions to me about their 'new' snow foam, he asked me to wait and I just walked away

Sorry you feel this way, however i think you may find your mistaken on who may or may not produce any product for us. We don't make every product our selfs nor do we allude to the fact we do, what we do do is have input on the formulation of every product from ground up and what we offer is the expertise in the use and application of such products, however if your really that interested you could always come see us and you might be surprised just how much we do do our selfs, despite petty rumor.

If I ignored you it certainly was not intentional, i had 4 staff all jumping up and down at me to get them more change so they could serve people, any of them could and would have answered your question or if you wanted to wait id have had a chat with you.

I value all of our customers, but i don't appreciate people who spread un supported rumor.

James B

Sorry you feel this way, however i think you may find your mistaken on who may or may not produce any product for us. We don't make every product our selfs nor do we allude to the fact we do, what we do do is have input on the formulation of every product from ground up and what we offer is the expertise in the use and application of such products, however if your really that interested you could always come see us and you might be surprised just how much we do do our selfs, despite petty rumor.

If I ignored you it certainly was not intentional, i had 4 staff all jumping up and down at me to get them more change so they could serve people, any of them could and would have answered your question or if you wanted to wait id have had a chat with you.

I value all of our customers, but i don't appreciate people who spread un supported rumor.

James B

Good man for stepping up and speaking out.

Are all your products unique to AF? Or do some get rebranded from your suppliers to other companies?

They are ours and from our suppliers they are only supplied to us, however that don't stop them being replicated by other companies, by other suppliers.

Honestly our intentions are not to mislead people or make out we are something we aren't, we are a detailing company, thats what i do, what we do, the products are something we have developed through our experience in the service side for over 14 years now, we have worked with two other brands in the past (one is one of the biggest names in car care) to help with product development, but what we wanted to produce a full range of our own that had input from proper detailers, and was our way, unconstrained, we only want products that work, and we only work with local companies, I could drive to anyone who formulates for us or any of the manufactures and be home in time for tea :) (hence the comment above is a bit daft) .

So what do we offer? good products tried tested and that actually work, customer service that provides someone on the end of the phone who not only knows about the products but also uses them in a professional sense everyday.

James B

Clio 182, Astra Sri
Replied to your pm on detailing world James.

Sincere apologies for coming across the way i did. Just venting some anger lol.

Your right, they are rumours. People like me should find the facts before losing faith and slating others. I'll live and learn I guess.

I may have doubted some products but I simply still can't fault them haha

Top work

All is well in the crazy land of car wax then :)

Gally: It is indeed, things often get said that are not really true, and assumptions are often banded as fact.

JB: I honestly didn't mean to offend if i told you to hold on a moment, the offer still stands if you want to come to our factory, il talk snow foam to you for as long as you want.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
I did at one point wonder if Dom opposite had some involvement as the products coming out seemed straight on the money, but in fairness you did hand me samples to try out, some of which were pre release and not the final product once I actually bought bottles proving product development that most won't see. But I've continued to buy more of the range and always been pleased with their performance

You've always come across as quite honest and upfront right from the start. But you've hit the ground running with the good product range and some will always doubt that. The fact that you came on and put your case forward I think counts for a lot

They are ours and from our suppliers they are only supplied to us, however that don't stop them being replicated by other companies, by other suppliers.

Honestly our intentions are not to mislead people or make out we are something we aren't, we are a detailing company, thats what i do, what we do, the products are something we have developed through our experience in the service side for over 14 years now, we have worked with two other brands in the past (one is one of the biggest names in car care) to help with product development, but what we wanted to produce a full range of our own that had input from proper detailers, and was our way, unconstrained, we only want products that work, and we only work with local companies, I could drive to anyone who formulates for us or any of the manufactures and be home in time for tea :) (hence the comment above is a bit daft) .

So what do we offer? good products tried tested and that actually work, customer service that provides someone on the end of the phone who not only knows about the products but also uses them in a professional sense everyday.

James B

I have no issue with the products. Safe to say Mercury is the best metal polish I've used.

And I'm glad to hear it is rumors. Although unfortunately that's not always the case. You'll know yourself from seeing work and products from other detailers that it can be a mine field.

Clio 182, Astra Sri
I've overreacted with the whole thing and I apologise.

Definitely feel honoured with the invitation. Gonna have to work out when and how I can make it :)

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Maybe one day there will be a governing body although you're still protected with trading standards, the detailing industry has a will of it's own.

To be fair all people are doing is running a business. It's up to the customer to do the research I guess. It's certainly an eye opener... and a money saver.

I guess people get peeved at companies buying products that are made by someone else and rebranded to suit themselves. Especially when you realise just how many companies have the same products for sale.

Casing point (not a different company, but the same product labelled differently) look at GTechniq. I swear by C4. But being the same as C5 and C1...? To protect the customer, understandable.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Feels nice to discuss these things out-with the confines and shackles of DW.

I think these posts might have lasted about 30 seconds on DW.

Clio 182, Astra Sri
I agree, it actually makes more sense to discuss these things elsewhere first tbh. It spirals out of control on DW

Tempted to sell my af collection to fund the pro bulk range now I've seen it on af site, hmmmmm

Maybe one day there will be a governing body although you're still protected with trading standards, the detailing industry has a will of it's own.

To be fair all people are doing is running a business. It's up to the customer to do the research I guess. It's certainly an eye opener... and a money saver.

I guess people get peeved at companies buying products that are made by someone else and rebranded to suit themselves. Especially when you realise just how many companies have the same products for sale.

I see what your saying but also see it from another point of view (from a business perspective) sometimes a company will out source a product to accompany a line, (for example (just a made up one) if a company make good coatings and want a compatible shampoo and are not really geared up or don't have the resources to produce a shampoo does it really matter if they made it or someone else? not really, the end customer is happy that they are able to buy a shampoo that has been tried and tested to be effective with the coating on there car without adverse affect.

Another example, in the case of our accessories, altho we have recently started to have these produced for us to our spec and design, not all of them are (only Duel, Waxmate & the wash mit are, and we are working on others, but it ties up alot of capital due to MOQs) however i want to be able to supply our customers with a decent drying towel, a microfiber cloth, applicators etc etc as the right tools can go along way in the effectiveness of a product, its also useful for the customer to be able to purchase all they need to use the products directly rather than having to go somewhere else for other bits, lets face it no one like delivery charges at the best of times, the point is its not always how people see it, and not all companies and suppliers are trying to swindle you, some are honest.... honest :)

I am a massive fan of the AF range, but I have tried other brands and thought, hang on a minute, I know that from somewhere!

Mercury being one of them.

Metal polishes and glass cleaners, in all honesty there is not a lot of different ingredient in them to make a good one, slight difference with ours is it has a little bit of metal protectant in it where as im not aware of many other pastes that do?

We did have two products knocked off by someone else, Tough Coat being one of them, but its not quite the same ;)

I did at one point wonder if Dom opposite had some involvement as the products coming out seemed straight on the money, but in fairness you did hand me samples to try out, some of which were pre release and not the final product once I actually bought bottles proving product development that most won't see. But I've continued to buy more of the range and always been pleased with their performance

You've always come across as quite honest and upfront right from the start. But you've hit the ground running with the good product range and some will always doubt that. The fact that you came on and put your case forward I think counts for a lot

Thanks Dave, it would have been easy for me if they would have done ay :)

I see what your saying but also see it from another point of view (from a business perspective) sometimes a company will out source a product to accompany a line, (for example (just a made up one) if a company make good coatings and want a compatible shampoo and are not really geared up or don't have the resources to produce a shampoo does it really matter if they made it or someone else? not really, the end customer is happy that they are able to buy a shampoo that has been tried and tested to be effective with the coating on there car without adverse affect.

Another example, in the case of our accessories, altho we have recently started to have these produced for us to our spec and design, not all of them are (only Duel, Waxmate & the wash mit are, and we are working on others, but it ties up alot of capital due to MOQs) however i want to be able to supply our customers with a decent drying towel, a microfiber cloth, applicators etc etc as the right tools can go along way in the effectiveness of a product, its also useful for the customer to be able to purchase all they need to use the products directly rather than having to go somewhere else for other bits, lets face it no one like delivery charges at the best of times, the point is its not always how people see it, and not all companies and suppliers are trying to swindle you, some are honest.... honest :)

I hear exactly what you're saying. And you are a business at the end of the day.

But you can't deny that customers are going to feel hard done by and peeved if they find out a company rebrands a product they buy in, and increases the price.

It may happen all the time, but people will react badly to it, regardless of the ease of buying mitts, polishes, QDs, sealants, waxes, etc from one company.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I kinda agree. I at a loss to think of a product off the top of my head that I buy in a supermarket but people see it as undehand. Especially when the company you are buying from are actually selling to other people to brand there own products.

I mentioned to JD before that me and Craig couldn't 4-5 possibilities of other "Tough Coats" on the market. It also dilutes your brand and product, feels less "special" if you will.

We know there are mark ups on products but in a lot of cases they actually make and build the products from the ground.

Back OT, it's begun again. I blame Dave for selling Glasur.

4f7b410a-e75c-61b9.jpg

Metal polishes and glass cleaners, in all honesty there is not a lot of different ingredient in them to make a good one, slight difference with ours is it has a little bit of metal protectant in it where as im not aware of many other pastes that do?

The way the one I tried finished down was identical, smelt the same, had the same consistency and even came in a matte metal tin!

I can't comment on the sealant aspect of it, if there is one.

As JD has touched upon, I'm aware that buying in a product and slapping a mark-up on it is nothing new, but I don't think it's very fair to the consumer when it's sold as some all-new, never before seen product that will change the detailing game forever.

That isn't aimed at AF, but it's happening all over the place by the sounds of it!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
It's been happening for a longtime before you started detailing chappers. Just the way it is I guess. I do love Chemical Guys marketing... brilliant stuff!

AutoGlym vinyl and rubber care vs their tyre dressing. Same product, different esthers, people not in the know will buy both.

I can imagine, it's very much a trader controlled market, the consumers are at their mercy really!

Even some of the top detailers are shadowed by their suppliers.

There's so much emphasis on the products in detailing, in a way it's like Adidas taking credit for the amount of goals Messi sets up.

So, back on topic.

My aging mind is failing me. Thus far, I have ordered;

IronX 1000ml
Tardis 1000ml
CarPro Washmitt x2
Bilt Hamber mild clay
Eraser
3M yellow pad
3M yellow spot pad
3M blue pad
3M blue spot pad
Glasur
Carbon
Eurow Shagpile towels x 10
Poorboys Delux towels x 5
G3
3M glass cleaner
Prima Amigo

But I feel like I am forgetting something? Or maybe it's just the lust to buy another machine!

trim or tyre dressing? APC like G101? wheels already sealed?

applicators

Applicators! Wax ones! Damn you're good. Trim will be C4 again, didn't do grills last time so looking for some swabs. Got G101 and stronger for an oil spill in the engine bay (AutoSmart Tripple).

You using megs for tyres Jamie boy?

Yarp. Two bottles I bought when it was BOGOF in Halfords have lasted years!

Another note, anyone tried any foam stick applicators for tight areas and can give me direction? I looked at the Megs ones, but they appear to be cotton swabs, which I'm not so keen on for C4 (although will use if I have to).

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Russ (or more Milly) was using some applicator swobs in the 200 silverstone edition detail IIRC.

for a full size pot or the glasur pot, i was really suprised at how much nicer it was to use the AF waxmate applicator, bit of a gimmick and pricey maybe, but a tiny twist loads the whole applicator instead of an edge so to passes over the panel much nicer and in turn used less product. or just the finger mitts but I tend not to use them anymore, can have them for postage.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
They are foam mate, see Russ' recent thread. :)

Buy the megs 2 pack of apps or a couple of nice SV ones. ;) The ebay specials are shat for a nice wax!

Looked at the SV ones the other day, when I was ordering something not for me ;)

Weird. Could have sworn they were cotton. Cool. Will look into them.