ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What have you ordered? *Detailing*

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Baby on the way sends things the other way. I'm now selling off the 'non essentials'. I hate it!

but so far it's keeping the Mrs happy and she's soon spending it

Thanks to Matthew and for the surprise;

epymuze9.jpg

Not a 320d
Re: What have you ordered?

I'll leave the sponges for other people to use. To be fair swirls and marring is inevitable it's just the severity that matters.

I myself have had swirls ect... nothing LP wouldn't take out to be honest, everyone gets them.

The BH soft clay is awesome, was very impressed with it to be honest. I added a tiny spot of BTBM to aid lubrication.

I know that post if from 2011 but I wouldnt use a wash mitt every again having used silicone free sponges. I wouldnt use the dodo one though. Just the Zymol and the opti mitt or Schmitt.

Ive used them for years now and kept paintwork pristine with them, much better than sheeps fur mitts.

Re: What have you ordered?

I know that post if from 2011 but I wouldnt use a wash mitt every again having used silicone free sponges. I wouldnt use the dodo one though. Just the Zymol and the opti mitt or Schmitt.

Ive used them for years now and kept paintwork pristine with them, much better than sheeps fur mitts.

I disagree. The CarPro mitt is 100 times better.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
The Carpro one is the best on the market if looked after but not cheap as you know. The Dodo sponge I was very impressed with.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
AF lather
AF Revive
AF Finale
AF Tripple
AF Oblitarate
AF Citrus Power
MF applicator pad
IronX
Dodo Juice clay bar
Chem guys white pad
Cheap £3 wash mitt of the bad for s**tty jobs.

All spread over a period of time so now I'm all ready to get the clean on sometime while I'm off for a week this month, cant wait! Been a while since I have put the DA or even any decontamination methods onto a car so I'm very excited to get it done as I'm already happy with the shine on the car so should look amazing. Will have to try get some decent pics of the car shortly after as I only have a few crap ones outside my house :)

Edit- Will be buying a mitt soon actually seeing the above reminded me, not a fan of the current cheap jobbie. Any recommendations without spending too much? Cheers.

I-Music 1.5 DCi 86
In the last 7 days:

• Meguiars G220 V2 polisher
  • 2 Menzerna Compounding Pads
  • 2 Menzerna Polishing Pads 2 Menzerna Finishing Pads Menzerna Fast Gloss (FG500)
  • Menzerna Intensive Polish (IP2100)
  • Menzerna Super Finish (PF4000)
  • Menzerna Final Finish (PF4500)
  • IronX
  • Poorboy's wheel sealant
  • Microfibre cutting pads
  • Microfibre finishing pads
  • Meguiars APC 1Gal
  • Various bottles & spray/foam heads
  • 303 Aerospace protectant/dressing
  • 10 Eurow shagpile MF towels
  • Micro Restore MF wash
  • Valet Pro wheel brush
  • Wolf's Nano Glass
  • Wolf's Hard Body
  • Foam & wool pad conditioning brush
  • 30mm sanding block & 2500 grit discs
  • 100ml touch up paint
  • Touch up picks
  • Various fine touch up brushes
  • Rayon glass polishing disc
  • Carpro CeriGlass kit
  • Dual 500W halogen work lights

That along with a couple of other detailing unrelated items for the car means it's been an expensive week :eek: This is the most I've ever spent on detailing gear in one go, but I'm taking the car off the road for one week (next) during which it will live in the garage on axle stands with as much exterior trim removed as possible, getting only its second major detail since new. My first holiday since New Year's Day and I'm spending the first week of it working on the car. Addicted much? :D

Golf GT & A4 Avant
I'm sure you just say it to argue with Kev and JD. lol

give it a go diluted, think you'll still be impressed if version 1 is anything to go by.

Not a 320d
Yeah but it wont produce the same level of beading. Weather permitting I could be applying up to 50 layers in the following 12 months. Plus it will hide minor defects.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
For those wanting some autofinesse products, ordering direct from them with your mobile device through their shop there is a 10% discount code

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Think dave means place and order by using your phone, god knows what difference it makes though??

Golf GT & A4 Avant
You lot are so lazy! have a look yourself

log onto Autofinesse website through your mobile phone or device, NOT PC
enter their shop, ensure it is on the new mobile page, not the desktop site.
Once in the 'mobile' shop it will show you the discount code for 10% off, but can only be used on their mobile shop, not the desktop site.

Mk3 1.4 clio
Because yellow Dave some n#b sprayed grey paint near my car, so I use t cut to remove it. I will ask your permission next time Dave. Lol

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Calm down mate I asked a simple question, if you'd asked advice, and not permission, we all would have said that the black die in tcut doesn't last, tcut is very harsh and will need refining afterwards, and that strong clay removes paint and overspray, without causing as much damage to the paint.

not quite sure where the need for the attitude has come from, but it was a serious question asked to help you, as maybe some on here already have experience with this type of thing. Search and you will see it was raised last night.

if you don't like it and feel the need for such comments, you will go far!

Mk3 1.4 clio
No sorry mate the way you replyd sounded like you was taking the piss. You could of said what are you using that for not I'll give it 2 washes before your shampoo washes out all the black dye and fillers from the T-Cut and it looks like you've never applied it then a question. Sorry for the confusion mate.

Not a 320d
You should know Dave, that people will bite if you give them a reply like that. Ive seen you do it many times ;)

Still no sign of my package from Tim at CYC.

Dont know why I bother ordering from the lazy c**t.

Mk3 1.4 clio
I see people talking about this clay stuff, could any one give me some info of what it is used for and how to use it?? Does it get rid of over spray and bit a Tarmac?? Thanks

Not a 320d
You forgot Jew this time!

Knows! Elite Car Care and i4d deserve my money. Time does not. I'm going to make every effort to avoid buying from him anymore.

I see people talking about this clay stuff, could any one give me some info of what it is used for and how to use it?? Does it get rid of over spray and bit a Tarmac?? Thanks

taken from Rich's post...

CLAYING - USE OF THE CLAY BAR

What is a clay bar, and what can it be used for

Clay isnt a polish or a compound, it is a surface preparation bar that smoothes the paint and removes contaminants, Clay is not a replacement for polishing. Its a tool for quickly and easily removing surface contamination

A clay bar is as its name suggests a bar of clay, and is usually used in conjunction with some form of lubricant (or even normal car shampoo), and basically it is used on your cars paintwork/wheels/ and even glass, to remove surface contaminants such as tree sap, tar specks, brake dust etc.

The clay is used after washing the car and before applying waxes etc.

Clay is also very effective on paint over-spray.

Do you need to use a clay bar?

No matter how much you wash and wax your car this is not enough alone to remove certain contaminants, in fact waxing over such contaminants will only seal them onto your paint.

To check if you need to clay simply was your car and dry now simply run your finger- tips across the paint surfaces, which should feel as smooth as glass, if it doesnt then your paint is being attacked by contaminants, Removing these surface contaminants (tar, acid rain spots, bug residue, paint over-spray, brake dust, hard water spots, etc.) will improve both the look and health of your cars paint.

Using clay

Using clay is easy but do follow the manufacturers instructions, if you dont you could create a mess or mark your paint.

Firstly ensure that you car is thoroughly washed and dried, as with all car cleaning try to do it in the shade, and apply to a small area at a time. Then roll your clay into ball, this warms it up and makes it more usable, then mould it into a flat surface, you then spray a small amount of the lubricant onto the panel, and then rub the clay in back and forward motion using light/medium pressure, if it becomes hard to rub then you need to use more lubricant (this is because clay is quite sticky). When you have made a few passes rub your hand over the area and it should be smooth, if it isnt then you just follow the same process again until the area becomes glass smooth, when smooth remove all the residue with a micro fibre towel (a soft cotton towel will suffice also).

When you have completed the whole car it is advisable to wash the car down to remove the lubricant, you car is now ready for glazing/sealing/waxing, etc.

Tip, when you can no longer fold the clay into a clean surface you can use it for claying your glass or even your alloys, it surprising how much dirt you can remove from your cars glass, and likewise clay is perfect for removing brake dust from your alloys (Clay is not recommended on wheels that do not have a factory clear coat or powder coat finish).

Clay safety

1. Clay does have a mild cutting action so be careful in its use.

2. If you drop you clay bar dispose of it, as dirt will engrain itself into the clay, and this will of course scratch your paint.

3. Fold your clay regularly and check the clay often, if you find raised bits remove them with you nails

4. Always Read the manufacturers instructions.

Not a 320d
You want Bilthamber IMO. Should clay during spring then before winter IMO. Twice a year. Youll get much better longevity from your wax or sealant after applying too.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Never had a problem with CYC. Only issue I find is things are always out of stock!

​Website is much nicer to navigate IMO

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Meh, I'm a grumpy old b@stard ;) Comments taken on board

For removing the paint spots, look to get a firm or hard clay rather than the softer ones as the softer clay wont pick up or remove the paint as easily. But the softer clay like that from meguiars or autoglym found in halfords are perfect for general use as Toby mentioned above, but will struggle to remove paint.

As for the tar spots, best to get a dedicated tar and glue remover, autoglym intensive tar remover, autosmart tardis, autofinesse obliTARate etc will remove these easily without effort leaving a nice clean finish to start the claying, just make sure you rinse the tar remover off properly as it seems to melt some clays.

As for CYC, I've had mixed experiences with their deliveries, initial service has always been fine, but delivery and notification can go from not quite as good as i4d and PB, to waiting days with no notification and late deliveries. It just so happens the majority of produts I use he stocks them all.