ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What I need to start?

Clio 172
Ive always had an interest in photography. Mainly of cars...but never really got into it. Id like to take it up as a hobby and just wondered what ind of prices im looking at for equipment. Where is the best place to start. Best way to learn etc etc. I really have no idea what im doing and only have a crappy point and press camera at the moment.

Please could you include websites for tutorials, equipment etc

Thanks in advance Ben.

Tutorials - The stickied threads at the top of here are worth a look for a start.

Equipment - Go to Jessops and have a play with some entry level Digital SLRs, find the one that you like best within your budget, and you're onto a good but humble start.

1.2 Dynamique billabong
If you are wanting to learn more about automotive photography then this book is ace.

3258099057_5a3022caeb.png

http://www.howtodigitallyphotographcars.com/

i bought mine from here.

http://aphrohead.com/Product.aspx?pid=9477961

1.2 Dynamique billabong
  Mk2 ph1 clio
The EOS 10D is a good starter camera, although you could pick up the 20D for around about £200 which is 8.2mp.

I have a 300D which is the same 6.3mp as the 10D and there is a difference in quality.

Until i got my 1D Mkii i have been using a 20D and it's produced some cracking photos for me!

LoW clio Sh*t...&..
Just buy everything as a whole mate. You will not be able to have a clue what lens you were buying anyway. So as the guys have said, tutorials and a bit of research will go a long way.
I used a D40 as a starter kit and I'm still using it now. D40 should be a good starter kit for you mate.

Clio 172
Tutorials are just confusing me at the moment lol

Am defo thinking about the d40 but struggling to find a set for a decent price

1.2 Dynamique billabong
^ ^

Buy that book i suggested it goes right from the basics alway to rigs and studio lighting for cars. its great.

Also i wouldnt recommend getting a bridge camera like that fuji you are much better of with a DSLR

Cupra
Be aware that the 10D will not accept EF-S lenses from Canon. Most of the cheaper (consumer) lenses designed for Canon digital SLRs are EF-S which means that you will have to use the EF range instead.

Not a disaster but something to be aware of.

Ian

Focus TDCi
Hey Ben. Next time we're out at a meet (which should be end of this month if I make it!) you can borrow my camera and have a mess with it for a bit if you like? I'll try and run you through the basics as best as I can.

Also, I have the Understanding Exposure book which Mace has linked to if you want to borrow that for a while. As long as it comes back pristine I don't mind. :)

If you're eager to get something before then, all of the Nikon and Canon entry level dslrs are a great starting point (Nikon D40, D3000, D5000, D60 etc, Canon 1000D, 350D, 400D etc), although if you really get into it, you may find them a bit limiting. I use a 450D and although there are a few things I wish it had, on the whole it's a very capable camera.

I'd probably agree with a few comments above about looking at secondhand cameras which are higher in the range, like the Canon 10D, 20D, 30D and I guess the D50, D70s and D80 on the Nikon side. Whatever you buy though, make sure you try it first.

1.2 Dynamique billabong
Be aware that the 10D will not accept EF-S lenses from Canon. Most of the cheaper (consumer) lenses designed for Canon digital SLRs are EF-S which means that you will have to use the EF range instead.

Not a disaster but something to be aware of.

this is true and as the 20d and 10d are so similar in price you may be better going for the 20d as its noise controller is better too. having said that you dont loose out too much by not having EF-S fitment, most EF-s lenses tend to be the canon kit lenses which are all that great to start with. yes it was a little annoying as i wanted a cheap wide angle lens and it ment i couldnt get the canon 18-55mm and i didnt want to spend £300+ on the sigma 10-20mm. there are way round it though in the end i picked up a cosina 19-35mm F3.5-4.5 lens for £40 off ebay and it does the job just fine. i used it for all the pics here http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=459326

Clio 172
Cheers Guys and thanks alot. Cheers Ian think ill have a hold but would be scared of breaking it lol so if you could run me through the basics that'd be great. And ill keep your book in a plastic wallet to make sure its prestine :)