ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

WHAT induction

lookin for more advice people.

thinkin of gettin induction kit,is it advisable? or just change the standard filter? lookin for somethin that will make a noise,just to warn people of daa power that lurks under the bonnet:devilish:

dont want to change the exhaust.....................yet!

cheers.

R

rich[182]

Your in the same boat as me and I still dont know what to do, not even got the damn car yet but still pondering on what to do. Everyones telling me I have 2 options for modding the induction, 1 being just get a replacement panel filter which may give extra 2-3bhp with better throttle response but no change in induction noise, 2nd being to ONLY get a sealed box induction kit such as a BMC CDA (approx £175)or Pipercross Viper (£246) which can give between 7-10bhp in theory but may require fuelling checking to see if its not running too lean (I think) both will be noisier with the BMC loudest.

I just dont know if I want to spend that ammount of £ on a air filter and not sure also if the warranty would be void, also the hastle of removing it before it ever went to dealer for service or warranty work once fitted, still cant decide whether its worth the hastle or money

My main thing is I WANT SOME ROAR & NOISE ON THROTTLE

I do know k-tecracing.com and hillpower.co.uk are currently working on some new kits

Ah,Rich172

i aint got my 172cup yet either.

just want to hear a bit of induction noise.(dont want to scare small children and animals.haha).

dont wanna spend 2 much either and as u say changin a whole kit every service or garage visit would be a nightmare.

well i got about 11 weeks to decide,but want to get everything sorted. (im a clio maniac.lol)

Mk2 Golf GTI

just get a regular pipercross induction kit and get a relocation kit so that it is at the front of the bay in front of the grill. i know k-tec do a relocation for the 1.2 16v but not sure about the 172/Cup. pipercross sound nice and better than K&N IMO

Try pulling the pipe out that leads into the bottom of the air box on the right hand side. Does exactly the same thing as drilling your airbox, and is in the perfect place to get cold air because it is shielded by the battery. I have had mine like this for about 4 months and it IS more responsive, and have had no ill effects. I have also got a cold air feed pipe leading into the area so the box sucks on the cold stuff. The pipe itself doesnt do much it just leads to a resonator box that stores a bit of cold air with which to pull away, but youll find it makes no difference. The best bit is the ROAR, with an added bit of go especially at the top end, and when your car goes in for some work just stuff the pipe back in and nobodys the wiser warranty wise.:cool:.

It works, try it! Ps the pipe is quite hard to pull out but pull hard, you wont break it!!

R

rich[182]

Cup-pa, sounds a top idea, does the standard airbox have its own cold air feed anyway ? how does it get its air feed/supply ? is the pipe that leads to the resonator box a different pipe than the cold air feed pipe ? presumably if left connected the air filter simply sucks the air from this "reservoir" whereas yours is now sucking from a 2nd air feed ie your new feed pipe ?

I like the idea of that its easily and quickly reversible, Are you using standard panel filter as well ?

Mk2 Golf GTI

would be good in addition to a replacement panel filter. is it the same for the 1.2 16v?

Dont know all the tech details, just that it sounds brilliant and seems to be more responsive. I dont think there is another cold air feed, and to make clear exactly what ive done - ive pulled the pipe out, got a clothes peg, and clipped it to the aperture of the hole, pulled the pipe back and rested it in the V part of the peg so that there is about an inch gap, therefore the pipe is still aimed directly at the hole, only with the gap to allow extra air in. The extra cold air feed pipe ive put in is probably only about an inch in diameter, and pokes out between the front grill slats, at which point ive attached a wider duct. This pipe then just rests in the general area of the gap ive created, which is all thats needed because on the 172 / cup youll find its like a little sealed off chamber shielded from the engine heat by the battery!! Try it, my son.:D

Alfa Mito 155TB

Oops sorry to burst the bubble on green elements...i have been running one for about 6 weeks now...tonight it was great when outside temperature was about 12oc.it sounds like a better noise...

Now for the power increase...none is noticable even with optimax, bp sul, esso sul, fina sul and normal unleaded...

I am so unwhelmed by it, tomorrow I am putting the normal paper element in...to be honest the reason i am doing that is because tonight it seamed to struggle to get past 130mph on a downhill private airfield...i will re-try with the paper element...and i have read the guff about 25% more airflow on the box...I some how feel it has affected the fueling and made it weak.

Alfa Mito 155TB

today i did a 600 mile journey so i had plenty of time on dual carriageways and motorways to test performance when warmed thru fully and i am sure there was no carbon left on the valves...the car is a 172 with 15000s on the clock....I think the enclosed induction kits and re-fuelling with new exhaust is the answer for all.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Got a Viper and love it... :D

Sounds superb, looks good, cars quicker and doesnt lose power and/or bog down like an open cone can.

Volvo S60 T5

I got a K&N K57i Induction kit on mine, It sounds lovely a nice deep sound, performance wise I noticed a lot of difference from standard and to top it off I got the kit new for £64.00 off ebay.

One drawback is that you tend to put ya foot down more for that lovely sound it makes so you use a bit more fuel but HEY WHO CARES!:)

Elise/VX220/R26

Ive got a piper X on mine. Sounds like a cossie. Picks up speed better in 2nd gear and above but other than that no massive change in performance.