ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What is wrong with ordinary K&N/piper x kit?

My old saxo *dont laugh

had a open K&N induction kit, standard cold air feed. I loved the noise, didnt have idle problems and felt OK to drive.

But why is it such a sin on a 172? I really dont wanna pay £250ish for enclosed :( ebay the 57i K&N kits can be urs for just £90!!

please if that are that bad (BIG loss of power) persuade me against!

A SHED!
Open filters let warm air from the engine bay. Enclosed filters keep induction charge abit cooler, and thus the air is abit more dense for more power than a open filter.

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
As said above. For best value, you would be better off buying a PiperX foam panel, removing the acoustic valve, uprating the induction feed to a 70mm bore tube either to the base of the wheel arch liner or to the foglight and replacing the inlet elbow with a silicone item. This little lot can be done for £50-60.
I can't see a Viper gaining much on that lot.

If you put the battery in the boot you can have an open filter behind the headlamp.

If you do it yourself cost would be

£50 for batt box
£30 cable and connectors
£90 for ITG maxogen filter and samco hoses and alu joiner

Here is a pic of mine.

Attachments

• bay6b.jpg
    bay6b.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 91
  • boot.jpg
    boot.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 74