ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fastcar Clio 172 Air Filter Test

Ph1
Only problem with this test is it shows how good certain kits are bolted to a stock motor not how good these kits are full stop.

When you throw mapping into the equation results would probably be different again especially on the kits where the graph is showing rough which would maybe point to them actually flowing better even tho they look like they perform worse?

VaVa
Its a known fact that the ph2 boxes are worse than ph1 boxes, ph1 clios with a standard ph1 box on make more on the rollers than a ph2 with a ph2 box, also the best performing ph2 172 and 182 at our RR day both had ph1/V6's boxes. Dunno why your arguing tbh, I guess you have a Maxogen and are just angry you wasted £250+ ? Everyone knows the ph1/V6 box is better in general than the ph2 boxes, why didnt the cup racers use a ph2 box if the V6 one they used was so bad?

When I see proof, I'll believe it. "Every one knows" and "known fact" mean nothing in Cliosport land. I've heard them all before. They used to say the same about the vipers... then the BMC's.. then whatever else became flavour of the month.

What I have seen is a statement from a race engineer saying that the Maxogen is an excellent piece of kit and that you would be lucky to get to within 70% of it by picking pits out of the Renault parts bin.

And no, I don't have a Maxogen. I do have a brain that is not easily washed, however ;)

clio 172 cup
Just goes to show, you dont always get more gains with more money. Good old renault one step ahead.

phase 1 Clio 172
My experience over all the cars i've owned is usually a power/torque loss with an ik due to heat soak, but much more induction noise. I bought a viper kit to try it and although it sounded quite good clogged very quickly. Once i put the standard airbox back on the increase in power and torque was very noticable!

hmh

Renault Clio RS 172 ph1
The only replacement filter tried in this test was Pipercross performance filter. Can the same conclusion be done for other replacement filters of well-known companies? I'm for K&N for example.
Anyone knows K&N part number for Clio 172 ph1? (I found E-9131, not sure 100% though)

Clio Sport 172
:mad: just spent £200 inc delivery on a pipercross viper Induction kit, Has anyone got any first hand experience of this kit its 02 model 172. Cheers

I think most people on here recommend standard or the JMS induction set up I think. Don't know if you have to be a full member to access the traders section to see their one though.

Clio 172 Cup
K-Tec recommended I replace my Pipercross IK with a PH1 airbox & one of their replacement filters - not sure if it will make a power difference but I for one am not a fan of the noise the bl**dy thing makes!!! Anybody got a Ph1 Airbox for sale as K-Tec didn't have any :dapprove:

Qashcow
^ ive got a dyno chart before with piperx and after with v6 but had matched inlets fitted too so its a false example

E39 M5, Clio 2
Gentlemen
Excuse my ignorance but can someone explain to me the following:-
How come a clio 172 produce 173HP or 174HP @ the wheel, where is the 15% power loss from gearbox and other stuff

CBR1000RR Fireblade
i made the mistake on my track car of buying and testing 5 different filters. it was expensive but meh.....

1. k and n panel filter
2. k and n open cone filter
3. HKS mushroom filter
4. pipercross open cone filter
5. BMC CDA

the BMC was the best, especially with the newmans cam shafts. IIRC the TU5J4 engine made 137.1hp @ wheels.

on other cars i have had since for cost vs performance the standard air box with a panel filter and a DIY cold feed to a fog light recess has worked just aswell

Clio 172
never in a million years will this be a true representation of what actual happens on the road, all this test shows is what happens to a certain car with various air filters, whilst on the rollers, pretty pointless in my opinion...............

Clio 182
OK we had Renault club dyno day and here is my result. Clio RS 182 with 165.000km (>100.000 miles). Custom fi 60mm exhaust, to small (50mm!) cat, maped with Fastchip generic 182 map. First run is with stock airbox (+Pipercross filter) and second with JMS V6 airbox (+Pipercross filter). V6 airbox does give few (around 3) HP from 4500 RPM and few Nm (2-3) all over the graph. Not much but is better than stock.

But what was interesting is that my friends' 182 FF with only decat, Miltek and same generic map from Fastchip got 189 hp and 220 Nm! :cool: Decat is my next project. :D
So here it is, stock airbox vs JMS V6 airbox:
clio-rs-182-dyno_2800842_17372375_zoom_18677770.jpg

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
the safer bet is to run a performance filter in the stock airbox, not the original one as it's not washable. too bad k&n apollo, BMC CDA and maxogen weren't in the test as they're also very popular

172 Sport
To add to this little thread...

I spent 4 hours yesterday smoothing my standard airbox, I drilled it today (on the cold side) and re-smoothed the box. I fitted an ITG panel filter too.

Got it all back together and got all excited and went for a drive, HUGELY down on low end power. It feels terrible to drive down low, sounds epic and is certainly quicker at the top end.

Imo a waste of time, I wish I had of never bothered and had of just thrown the ITG in.

Clio RS 172 /Trafic
When I bought my 172 it had a cone filter fitted and yes it sounded awesome but the performance wasn't what it should have been due to heat soak. I bought a 172 airbox from Renault and fitted a greenstuff cotton air filter element. The engine became quieter from the induction side and the acceleration improved at all levels. So I agree with the conclusions of this test.

ph2 172
When I bought my 172 it had a cone filter fitted and yes it sounded awesome but the performance wasn't what it should have been due to heat soak. I bought a 172 airbox from Renault and fitted a greenstuff cotton air filter element. The engine became quieter from the induction side and the acceleration improved at all levels. So I agree with the conclusions of this test.

This is what i am hoping for as i'm am replacing the viper on the 172 i recently bought.
Just a point to make on standard airbox's, back in the 90's when i always had mk3 XR3i's there were no replacements for the airbox only panel filters such as K&N and Pipercross but one mod we used to do was drill holes in the airbox to allow more air in. iirc; one magazine did a comparsion test and a drilled air box with performance filter was an improvement over undrilled with same filter. Would that be an option or does that not work on a more modern efi intake system??

clio / mondeo 2.2
hey just wanted to say having been involved with two different car publications on my previous cars for performance tests both magazines lied about the products that were being tested to show the products in a good light!! so good to read a 'true' article!!

Clio 172 sport
i had the power tech induction and it sounds mental but i just put a itg panel filter in the airbox and im convinced it pulls and go's better

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
I have a stock box and K&N filter in mine currently. Been in since I bought it. When I had my first 182 back in 2004 I had a BMC CDA and as above it sounded superb - real throaty voice and you could hear it sucking the air in. However, it was definitely missing something low down and the standard filter felt much smoother.

I replaced it and left it for a few months then decided to try the BMC again. That noise... :eek:

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
In my V6 the noise is unreal with a big air filter so I'm going to take it off my V6 and pop it on the clio for the day to see how it sounds

The filter on the left is a standard air filter and the Ramair is an Vw R32 filter

2v0d76g.gif

128.gif

I noticed no difference at all when I put my cone Filter on ( I did leave the standard cold air feed on).

The only time I've felt a difference is when it's was really hot outside and that was only once so was probably in my head.

BG182ff,explod Focus
Has there been an experiments done by anyone where they have tried using a cyclonic filtration system on the intake?

I know HGV tractor units use them on the exhaust system to remove particulates and Dyson seem to work quite well.

The biggest problem I can see is the physical size needed to flow enough air into an engine but if it could be made small enough it would mean an (almost) filter-less intake system.

Twingo Dynamique
Forgive me for possibly "tainting" a very 172/182 dominant thread.... but what about all (hopefully) 75hp of my 1.2 16v campus? :p will a panel filter increase my noise? /improve it? :) or is an IK the only way with such a small engine?

Am i also right in thinking that with a more powerful engine, the power gains to be had a greater... i.e. one would expect a modification to increase the power of an engine by a percentage rather than by a specific number of horses across all engines..?

evo 6rs/clio 172
just bought a clio 172
Looked under the bonnet and just has a paper filter
I only want to replace it with a panel filter
Which is best out of k&n, ktr, green, itg etc please
Don't want to loose power but would like it a bit louder through the induction
Thanks

Mec 350 slk manual
I have the ktr panel filter in mine and been good but thinking of the ktr induction kit been reading the reviews