ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What made you buy a clio

MCS R56
It was the outstanding build quality and attention to detail that caught my eye. Also, £10,500 for a 172 Cup with 15 miles on the clock, couldn't say no. Sure beat the numb Type R at £12,000 with 26K on the clock!

Els

Inferno 182 Cup
Scooby was way to expensive to run and i Wanted a newer car and something cheaper to run which was still fast so sold my 02 bugeye to get a 05 inferno 182 cup

1.2 16v Dynamique
Came into some cash and it was a toss up between a Focus (don't ask me why) & the Clio, was leaning towards the Ford but the salesman was a complete pr!ck and the Renault salesman had a much better attitude...

Plus I have always had a thing for Clio's since the Mk1 came out

Black 172
I had a 1.2 dynamique and i enjoyed driving that, then i moved jobs and my boss sold his 172 to me for just over 6k 28k on the clock then (03 plate) :) and i really luv it !!

KG Exige - ex-V6 owner
It was the only car i could think of that was fast, impractical, rare, and fun. Nothing else in the price band seemed to fit the bill

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT
Fastest and newest car i could afford, thats about all i considered and still dont regret my logic! wooooo

Blue Clio 182
I have always loved clios, even from being young i said i was gunna have a clio when i'm older, my uncle had a really old one and i loved it then they have just got nicer as they years went on, my next car is gunna be a 182 and when that gets too old then my clio loving days will be over :( coz i hate the new shape, upset me a bit actually!!

Clio 172 mk2
After my Impreza I was looking for something less full on image wise, newer, better MPG but still quick.

Got my list of possibles down to CTR, Leon, Audi A3 & A4 & Clio. Found my 172 for sale privately with only 13000 on the clock so went for it....all the Audis were crap for the money I had and the CTRs were still too much.

Glad I brought it as it's been a good car for the last two years I've owned it:D

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
For me it was my wife, my Mondeo V6, and Evo magazine.

She bought me a trackday voucher, the 18 inch rubber on the Mondeo would cost a fortune, and Evo mag said the Cup could take track abuse all day long.

Smiled every day since. They got it so right.

Octavia VRS
I wanted a good handling, nippy(ish), alright looking wee hatch and my mk2 ph1 1.4 offered this.

Also learned in a mk1 1.9D!

Peddled device
Had a mint modified 205 gti 1.9 but was always having to do little repair jobs on it.

I bought a house and its value shot up/l'd read about the 172 Cup in Evo.....and for £10.5k got a new one with 9 miles on the clock :)

Peugeot 306 HDi
Was looking at 106s for a 1st car and stumbled across a MKI PhIII Clio. Better specced, better looking and more suitable for my 6'2'' frame. Sold it because I WAS going to uni in London. I pulled out and was going to go for a 1.4 Focus but settled on a Dynamique as it was cheaper to run and insure etc, relatively quick and they look great for a small car. Was looking at Expressions (cheaper) but fell in love with the car I have now. Will be sticking with it now til after Uni and it'll be getting me to Leeds and back 3 times a year (I hope).

R35 GTR
Liked the shape and price of a clio 1.2 grande, bought it after 10 minutes of looking.lol.

took the 172ph2 for a drive and paid on the stop..

Saw the turbo for sale, made an offer and paid before the test drive.:eek:

Was such a good price even though I still have major repair bills.:cool:

Last edited:
  Clio MK2 (1.2)
had to find a car fast really, as my 306 D-turbo's driveshaft was cracked a bit so part X my car n the guy didnt even bother checkin mine, nd saw my clio wit the nice interior (extreme) so said il take it, 3 days later picked it up n felt superb that i had a decent car that ad low millage, but then my frikin m8t copied me n purchased a 1.4 16v week later :(..

i needed a cheap, fun, fast and relatively modern run around. I owned a 172 a year ago, loved it, so decided to buy another one as a second car :)

RS 200
Really liked the look of the Mk2's when they first came out but at that time I was only about 14.

When I learnt to drive I soon got my first clio, a 2001 Dynamique, followed a year later to a brand new 2005 Dynamique which was eventually sold last month for the 197.
They keep getting better with each facelift I reckon.

RS Clio 172 Ph1
Fancied a Hot Hatch and the 172 seemed like the good option for the cash I had - Good looking, nippy, fun!! Still makes me grin out at 7:00am on these bright summer morns.

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique +
I was taken out around Sutton in a Mk1 1.2. The guy driving it gave it some welly and it seemed to love it and handled really well. From that moment on I wanted a Clio. A couple of years later Dunc and I moved into our house and I wanted to get a newer car. (I had a 1.4 Renault 11 at the time). I decided it was time to look for a Clio and found a lovely Mk2 Ph1 1.4 8V RT Alize with 2k on the clock.

Three years later my poor 1.4 got written off, (not my fault), and being as I loved my Clio so much I decided I wanted another one. I couldn't find another 1.4 Alize like mine so decided to go for a new 1.6 Dynamique +. I picked my car up two weeks after the 1.4 had been written off, got it for 9k brand new with 7 miles on the clock. I love it to bits and there is now way I will ever sell it! I hate the new Clio with a passion so will be waiting to see what the Twingo is like. If I like it , it will be my 2nd car.

I wasn't really after a Clio to be honest, but I had some money burning a hole in my pocket, spotted my 1.2 16v in the local paper was expecting it to be a mk2 ph1 for the money they were asking. I went round, kicked the tyres abit, I knew I wanted to buy it, but she wasn't budging on price and the cambelt was due. I left it about a week and went back round with an envelope of cash, she couldn't resist it, knocked her down about £600 all in :rasp:
That was just under a year ago, contemplating changing it but im not sure whether I can afford the running costs of a 172. May just stick some coilovers on the 1.2 and keep it for another year.

CB600FS
Spotted the Clio dCi with 18K servicing and then read Diesel Car "Small Diesel of the Year - pulls like a 2.0 petrol midrange"

Very similar to that, wanted a 182 Cup after my RT at first, couldn't justify higher fuel bill, tax, repairs, insurance for a mediumly quicker car. Went out in a mapped 80 and that sealed the deal. Picked one up private a week or 2 later, lucky really, xenons, climate control etc. I managed to haggle it from £4.5K to £3.8K, work wanted £3K more for the same spec, with staff discount - don't even look after there own!

Sy

Pajero 3.8 V6
I walked past a garage and I thought, "that looks nice". Impulse buying is ace lol.

Got a 172 wanted honda type r but dont want to spend another 2k and extra 400 for the insurance for almost the same power,chaepest fastest car on a an 02 i can find happy so far.

Ad

MK2 FRS
bought this because ive had a few before.. lol

the very first one.. like most people. VFM

Renault Clio 182
The fact that my Peugeot 106 1.1 zest was painfully slow. Ii had to upgrade and I've always liked the shape of the Clio sports, especially the 182.

I feel quite lucky. I managed to get hold of an Artic Blue 182, with Recaros and both cup packs, plus only 6100 miles on the clock.

I absolutely love it. I'm new to the forum, so HELLO to everyone. Here are some pictures:

http://s148.photobucket.com/albums/s33/Rexina182/

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
like most people on here...most entertaining car for the money.

i've always had renaults too. lol :S

1.2 Dynamique - smart looking and cheapish...before i added £1600 worth of options. bad decision.

172 Ph1 - always loved the look of them over the Ph2, and it felt so raw and angry to drive. i bought it the next day.

182 - since i couldn't afford some racing blue action when i bought the Ph1, i decided to take the plunge.

quite happy with how things have panned out now, looking back