ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What made you choose your Rs or Clio ?

Iceberg 172
I wanted something small (for inner city parking) and fast, and that handled well, and that was cheap.

I've run allsorts recently for various reasons; an Alfa 155, an Impreza, a Celica and a Vauxhall Zafira :quiet: (family battle bus) but now that the wife's got a bigger car I got a free choice.

Another big factor was Evo magazine's opinion - I'm old enough to have witnessed Peugeot decline from King of the Hot Hatches and Renaultsport have taken up the mantle. That a Trophy did so well in Evo's eCOTY against some expensive exotica speaks volumes.

OK I know it's French, cheap and flimsy, but hey Alfa Romeo's are my first love so this Clio feels well built! :rolleyes:;)

Bottom line is that you just can't touch it for the money - price, insurance, economy, performance, handling and looks. It's got the lot. :star:

Doesn't make the noises of a carb-fed Alfasud flat though, but no modern car ever will :)

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Cheap to run and quick and i didnt want a CTR. oh and i loved RB

ive aways like renaults when i was at school i then got a weekend job at our local stealer mum an dad decided mum needed a small car of her own an we got a really good deal on our 2002 mk2 ph2 1.2 expression when i eventualy passed my test it became mine i then decided i wanted newer better an a/c so i bought a 2005 dynamique still only 1.2 as this was insured in my own name i got the urge to upgrade i looked at a corsa test drove a yaris liked it but got poorly treated an joke finance offers from toyota went back to renault test drove a dci106 mk3 loved it at this point thought i had to have one an compomised on a brand new dci86(being cheap to run an to remap when i had enough driving exp) with all the toys i wanted nothing came close 2nd hand so i had to have new :D

clio trophy No56
TROPHY rules, goes around corners like nothing ive ever driven, last of the old school hot hatches, and so on....

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Was literally about to buy a 240bhp Ibiza Cupra for cheaper but saw the Clio with Recaros on autotrader...

Newer, lower miles, just had to have it :eek:

330Ci (Fail)Sport
1. Had a mk1 and a mk2 ph1, enjoyed both those clios but wanted more power and handling but with a better interior so a ph2 172 seemed a good option.

2. For my price range it had everything: good power, handling, comfortable, looks good (esp in monaco), not too old and reasonably economical for a hot hatch.

3. Was the "sensible" choice money wise - compared to 328Ci, Golf GTi 1.8T (and cost of mods to make it look and go good), MX5 (and turbo).

4. Fitted nicely in my clio sized space on the drive.

320d
My clio was my only choice at the time for me. I needed a cheap to insure and run 1st car.

Out of the small cars it was the best looking, nicest interior, reasonabely nippy for a 1.2.

Next year its going to be either a ph-quick or 182FF. Going to a sport seems like natural progression, I love the look of them, the noise, the way they go etc.

Oh and also I don't want to leave CS because its a realy good forum and half of the members live in warrington which is 15 mins from me. Hence why NW meets are the best in the country.

I bought a Mk2 ph1 RXE about 4 years ago because I wanted something quicker than my 1.3 fiesta, but couldnt afford a hot hatch. I had a look around and didnt want to go down the VTR route, and I couldnt find a good S1 106 Rallye, found the RXE by accident, drove it, liked it, bought it. Then I discovered cliosport.net learnt a lot about cars that I would never have learnt if I hadnt found this place, also learnt what tastefull modding is, then I fell in love with RenaultSports after test driving a 182! So after a slight break I have bought a 197 Cup in white, because imo thats the best looking version, and its amazing to drive

Clio GT 120 EDC
I looked at many cars like the 206,Corsa but in the distance, Renault was calling me lol.

I got my first Clio Extreme 2 1.2 new on a 53 reg after my mate bought his 53 reg Megane after Bristol trade centre fooked me up on a Corsa. Went to my local dealer to look at a 03 reg Billabong but it was cheaper to have the Extreme brand new.

Then i seen a brand new 172 cup in the showroom and always promised myself i would own a RS one day.

I was looking on the internet one saturday in Sept 2008 and come across this RS for a bargin...so popped down to see it and really wanted to get rid of my jinxed clio campus 06 reg i had. Well the garage was messing me around and thought oh well will try somewhere else. Within two weeks i got her and love to bits and i wonder why i waited over 4yrs to own a RS.

Sorry for the essay lol

Sunshine Bus ph-quick
my 1st clio, because i need a car quick & it was cheap, looked nice and was a 1.4.
It kinda went on from there.. gradually built up to a full blown obsession with 449 16v's so ended up going out and buying one 3 clio's down the line...

plan was, to put some cash away for a month or two and buy myself a 172 (but a ph1) some time in Feb as a b'day prezzie to myself and to cheer myself up after the run of crap lately.. (meh) however, stuff happened a bit quicker than I'd anticipated and one came up for the right money, before I'd actually set myself on a colour and stuff.. so went and picked her up yesterday :) Its already become the most hated car I've ever owned because its yellow.. lol, love parents!

ST
my 1st clio, because i need a car quick & it was cheap, looked nice and was a 1.4.
It kinda went on from there.. gradually built up to a full blown obsession with 449 16v's so ended up going out and buying one 3 clio's down the line...

plan was, to put some cash away for a month or two and buy myself a 172 (but a ph1) some time in Feb as a b'day prezzie to myself and to cheer myself up after the run of crap lately.. (meh) however, stuff happened a bit quicker than I'd anticipated and one came up for the right money, before I'd actually set myself on a colour and stuff.. so went and picked her up yesterday :) Its already become the most hated car I've ever owned because its yellow.. lol, love parents!

Ned ;)

120d M-Sport
My mate asked me to go go for a quick spin in his 172 a couple of weeks ago, i knew the figures but it was only when he got on open road that i knew how fast it was, sadly a police van heard the car coming down the road, drove past the police and they started to do a U-Turn by then my mate had flew off away from them. When we got back i told him to let me know when he was selling, sorted the price and he dropped it off christmas eve :rasp:

Happy Days :D

Dynamique Flamer
My mate has a 182 racing blue cup which got me interested in clios. I was looking at loads of black 02 plates which were quite expensive untill i saw my red 05 plate i love it to peices!! And the way you can make subtle mods without looking like a chav!! :)

Mini Cooper S sport
Value for money.
No other hot hatch came close to the spec on the 182 for the same money.

Why did I buy my particular one? Rare colour and low miles.

Same!! A lot of car for the money, and I still think racing blue is one of the nicest colours around - and suits the 182. I was lucky to find one that was less than 6 months old with low mileage, it was like having a new car.

BG 182 FF
I chose mine cos after my first car which had no locks an you had to turn the engine off to open the boot lol, i wanted a 172 a big step up in everytin really but i cudnt get insured so i got me 1.2 clio cos it is better imo than polo's an punto of similar spec.
Plus a lad i worked with at the time sed french cars are the best sitting cars when lowered. :)
An mines black cos that was the 1 i wanted at the time no other reason really lol

clio 182
sper of the moment after spending silly amounts on my mk 6 fiesta, i drove passed a dealership saw it and thought hmmmmm never seen a clio that colour b4, went in to have a butchers and ended up comin out of there buying it :eek:p

clio sport 172, 2002
ever since i seen one piss all over my dads BMW E30 325 sport. i said to my self i'll have one one day,

got a 2002 ph2 172 in black and love it

Astra SRI/ Hornet
I bought my cup after driving a mates 182, loved the noise, performance and handling. That was nearly 2 years ago and I have never looked back.

1.5 Clio Dynamique
my 1.0 mk2 polo (previous car) had basically given up the ghost and work were getting pissed off with me taking time off because iy wouldnt get out of the drive

so off i went with my sis to look round the dealerships and there she was sat alone as a part ex in a seat garage being teased by the other seats and kia's around her

she just had to come home with me

Shed.
Got a Blue 5 door expression 1.2 16v 51 plate passed down to me. Got it cheap at the time.

Then my mum rang me up one morning at my gf's house and told me to go look at the heap of s**t i have now in the stealers, i bought it that day.