ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What model?

mk2 ph1 1.2 8v (crap)
New to the forum so hello to everyone, iv just been talking to mark fish (if anyone is firmillar with his work) and my clio hasunt got what it takes to tune up :( im looking for something with abit of puntch to it i was told to get 200bhp im lookin at a cup i cant insure one of them as i only have 1 years no claims and am only 18. So maby i shud look at abit less hp what shud i go for if i wanna get around 160-70 bhp after tuneing maby more. i cud go up to 5 grand for the standard car.

Cheers for your help guys.

Last edited:
  mk2 ph1 1.2 8v (crap)
unless its possible to do what i intend'ed to do in the first place, but instead of a 172 engine maby a 1.6 and tune that? swap the engine ecu and gearbox for standard 1.6 parts

Trophy No. 440
Sorry but I'm confused now. If you can't insure a cup how are you going to insure something that has been modded to 160 - 170 bhp or more?

mk2 ph1 1.2 8v (crap)
the biggest factor with the 172 engine is everything needs changeing, are the parts from the 1.6 the same as the 1.2 ie drive shafts fuel pumps and so on?

The 1.6 uses different ECU programming egine gearbox driveshafts alos in yoru car uses different brakes (you can keep your old ones). Its a lot of money best get a 172 transplant.

However not telling insurance is a big mistake IMO don't ever do this if you cannot afford the premium don't do it.

G_T_M_2 said:
dam why did i have to get a taste for 200bhp at 18, i hate insurance......:mad:
Get your car to handle (FK coilovers are very good if correctly set up) then some good brakes very good stickly tyres and learn how to realy drive the car it thats makes up for at least 300hp deficit on back roads and the race track.
I've timed my car aginst TVR's and 260hp hot hatches and mines standard and I'm quicker on a track as I can drive the car much better and my cars standard now. Better suspension and it would be even quicker again.
Also strip the car for any extra weight makes a big difference.
Otherwise get a valver or an RSI mk1 clio there 135 and 110hp or so and on insurance can be quite cheap.