ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What mods have you regretted/changed and why? The best upgrades...

182>FRS>VX220 now 350Z
What have you done to your car and then regretted or changed and why..... Also, info relating to your other modifications may be beneficial to try and build up a picture of the best upgrades/modifications for you and your car....could be a good resource for others thinking of spending their hard earned. :)

Apex springs- made the car look much better and improved handling due to lower CofG but made the ride a little hard due to spring rate and killed one of my oe 182 dampers. oh well

GAZ coilovers- I regretted these for the simple reason that they didnt perform as well as I wanted them to and its basically my fault for being a cheapskate lol. Buy them if you want your car to look 'slammed' but not if you like the idea of refined ride and outstanding handling....for that you will need Leda's ;)

Performance Friction 97 pads- simply awesome braking performance but the trade offs were too severe for me! The dust was quite honestly evil and the noise...well, tbh it didnt bother me all that much but still these pads should be reserved for track cars imho.

Ferodo DS2500 pads- much better ahhhhh :D

Stripping the car's interior- was, and still is a good idea in theory but it doesnt make a nice car to drive on the motorway for hours....regret? hmmm not really i guess, just make sure i have some paracetamol with me for the headache after lol.

Bucket seats- In my mind these are a necessary upgrade for any clio driver, they improve the driving position no end! However, spend as much as you can as the cheap ones aren't comfy and are no way near the lightest available.

Harnesses- for me these aren't a regret but be warned as they aren't for the intolerent/lazy people :rasp: ;)

Cams- the more i think about it the more i wish i hadnt had these installed....the labour cost is high and although my car does pull well and made good power i'm not sure i could justify the cost in the future. Plus the piper's tick like a motherfucker :quiet: lol. Also this is the only modification that i cannot really remove easily for resale :(

Cant think of anything else for the moment but here is a list of what i consider the best (most worthwhile and cost effective) upgrades;

-Induction kit (might lose or gain a few bhp who knows...end of the day it will sound nicer :D )
-AngelWorks Stage1 Inlet manifold (stock ones can be improved on substantially)
-SMT6 (costly but worth it to make sure your car runs safely and picks up a few bhp. Had no experience of ECU upgrades from BBT and the likes but i personally am not a fan of 'off-the-shelf' maps)
-Bucket seats (yes the stock ones are nice and comfy but the driving position sucks!)
-Weight saving (for the hardcore but definately worthwhile imo)
-Good quality suspension (Leda, Bilstein, H&R)
-DS2500's (improvement over standard for sure)
-Different wheels (for looks if you dislike the stock 182 rims but more importantly to significantly reduce the brake fade which occurs with oe rims.)
-Exhaust (must have really as the stock one IS crap and WILL fall apart)

Right thats it i think (all off the top of my head), i appear to have rabbled on for long enough....hope this is helpfull to somebody lol.

:D

clio 200 F4Rt
i am yet to modify my 182 cup, luckily i have all this great info to go on tho, hence why the Leda's are toip of the list, along with 4 pots and a new set of wheels!!

i got a set of cobra Evolutions waiting to go in! oh, and a stack dash!

Good -
Ledas, AWT cams, cable throttle body, AWT manifold - loads of torque and smooth power

May change -
Viper (not sure how good this is may get an open ITG now I have had my battery moved and make a heat shield)

You can live with it but-
OMEX (not for the faint hearted on a car with 2 years warrenty, poor cold start, christmas tree dash, but you cant have the cable throttle without it or throttle bodies....)

I hate it but cant change-
Steering wheel and seats (I need 4 seats)

I want but cant afford-
LSD and shorter ratio gear box, another 10bhp

182>FRS>VX220 now 350Z
Nice one fmp_ :D

Mark, I was hoping you would share your opinions on your mods.... I really want cable throttle but cant afford to go omex etc now that i have spent out on the mods i already have. If the package you have now was available a year or so ago then I would have gone the same route as you. Also, I agree with your comment regarding the Viper!

Gary G said:
Nice one fmp_ :D

Mark, I was hoping you would share your opinions on your mods.... I really want cable throttle but cant afford to go omex etc now that i have spent out on the mods i already have. If the package you have now was available a year or so ago then I would have gone the same route as you. Also, I agree with your comment regarding the Viper!

At least I am seeing it at its worst in terms of the cold start.

I would like to drive a fly by wire 182 to see the difference, now I have got used to the cable throttle, I dont think I would regret going the OMEX/cable throttle route though.

182>FRS>VX220 now 350Z
haha....NO! :p Come on dude, want honest opinions on your mods? Flywheel etc worth it?

Trophy #473
cutting my passanger door hinges off to fit lambo doors..... fu*king stupid idea.

rest im happy with.

rmccardal i'm particularly interested in what you think of the lightened flywheel as its a relatively cheap mod.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Its not a RenaultSport model but do i still get to take part? :)

K-Tec Relocated Induction Kit - love this, once you hit 3500rpm on full throttle it starts roaring, car revs a lot easyer and idles better when cold (revs used to jump about) picks up better when you floor it and pulls a little harder also look better under the bonnet and when your just driving about town normal you cant hear it. Makes a nice sucking whooosh noise when you rev it too :D

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
WOW YOU GUYS SPENDING ALL THAT MONEY WHEN YOU SHOULD JUST PUT THROTTLEBODIES ON A STD ENGINE......

Good mpg, good cold start, smooth (if the mapper is anygood), lots of power and the option of a lot more....

ENGINE

Saved me a few bob, best route given (STB) is:-

182 manifold
Decat
Exhaust
Maxogen (not connected but feed directed into it) or ITG replacement
R-sport or BBtunging ECU

190bhp and good mpg/no fairly light dash/no poor cold start and a hell of a lot less money...!

SUSPENSION

Road - KONI and sportlines or H&R's (if you want to splash out)
Track - Ledas or Bilstein if you want the best.

BRAKES

Road - Std discs and DS2500 pads
Track - Std discs and DS3000 or PF97 pads
Hardcore - 4 pots but not worth the money as they are not needed.

ESSENTIAL GET THE BRAIDED HOSES AND UPRATED FLUID AND BLEED THE BRAKES PROPERLY AND ALSO AFTER EVERY TRACKDAY.

Just my 2p's worth......

Last edited by a moderator:
  Lionel Richie
Gary, you could've saved yourself alot of typing there and just said "i'm gay, and i prefer polishing my car to driving it"

;)

EK9 + Mfactory gearing..
worst mod: 17's what a waste of time & £, most annoying mod: k-tec catback, never got it to sit straight, quickshift was good for a time but the car feels so much better without it, pf97 pads..awsome. love all the engine work but the best mod has been the kw (v2) coilovers. same as Gary for the cable throttle didnt really know about it at the time. i may do it this year or get a tb setup, i didnt 'just' want tb's i wanted to squeeze more from the engine before just bolting something on. want but cant yet (due to getting hitched & house ownership lol) :tb's, lsd, or evo/dc5..

Megane225FF
Had a full s/s exhaust with decat, shocked me with the noise at 1st, then got used to it.. it actually lost power low down the rev range, ran it for 5 months before I took it to GDI - Ben did the inlet manifold, Andy put on the SMT6, totally transformed the power of the car, miles more torque lower down, loads of power higher up. Best mods so far :D :D
Never regretted eibach pro's for the handling, much better on a full fat than the std springs IMO.. shame it doesn't lower the ride height enough..

Audi A6 (S3 on order)
wrong wrong wrong wrong ..... wrong wrong wrong wrong

wrong

wrong .... you're wroonnggg.

wrong

;)

EVOgone said:
WOW YOU GUYS SPENDING ALL THAT MONEY WHEN YOU SHOULD JUST PUT THROTTLEBODIES ON A STD ENGINE......

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
rmccardal said:
wrong wrong wrong wrong ..... wrong wrong wrong wrong

wrong

wrong .... you're wroonnggg.

wrong

;)

Glad you have realised it.....the first and biggest hurdle is admission well done........the amount of wrongs seems to fit the amount of mods you regret.

When you getting the TB's then.

182>FRS>VX220 now 350Z
lol, come on you two. End of the day its Ross's money and he can spend it on whatever he likes.

Agree with braided hoses also!

Fred, if only you realised what i was like before 182 ownership ;) lol....i cleaned my cars all the time, sometimes even twice a week! When I first got the clio it went unwashed for months and months as I was too busy driving it!! :D

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
Gary G said:
lol, come on you two. End of the day its Ross's money and he can spend it on whatever he likes.

Agree with braided hoses also!

Fred, if only you realised what i was like before 182 ownership ;) lol....i cleaned my cars all the time, sometimes even twice a week! When I first got the clio it went unwashed for months and months as I was too busy driving it!! :D

Remember your car from the Oulton Park Renault day...Sounded very nice..oh but it was very polished..;-)

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider
just a note about cold start on the Omex, there is a fix for this...

I am just waiting for some info from Omex to cure it,

Andy

Audi A6 (S3 on order)
Not planning to. Ben is going to make a new manifold for me soon which will take power way up over any other na 172/182 (inc those running TB's).

EVOgone said:
When you getting the TB's then.

EVOgone said:

Good mpg, good cold start, smooth (if the mapper is anygood), lots of power and the option of a lot more....

ENGINE

Saved me a few bob, best route given (STB) is:-

182 manifold
Decat
Exhaust
Maxogen (not connected but feed directed into it) or ITG replacement
R-sport or BBtunging ECU

190bhp and good mpg/no fairly light dash/no poor cold start and a hell of a lot less money...!

SUSPENSION

Road - KONI and sportlines or H&R's (if you want to splash out)
Track - Ledas or Bilstein if you want the best.

BRAKES

Road - Std discs and DS2500 pads
Track - Std discs and DS3000 or PF97 pads
Hardcore - 4 pots but not worth the money as they are not needed.

ESSENTIAL GET THE BRAIDED HOSES AND UPRATED FLUID AND BLEED THE BRAKES PROPERLY AND ALSO AFTER EVERY TRACKDAY.

Just my 2p's worth......

"What mods have you regretted/changed and why? The best upgrades..."

I think Gary was asking people to give opinions on what mods they have made to there own cars. Sticking to the subject helps provide the forum users with an informative useful forum. Your BS is getting a bit tedious. :boring:

Clio 182
My worst ever mod has to be my Lexus lights stayed on for 2 days now in the wheely bin. What was I thinking ????

I've got an ITG Pannel filter, Cams, Manifold matched and SMT6 upgrade. Everything else standard. I saw great gains (201 BHP) and it totally changed the car, I don't regret any of them but they all came at a cost, but a worthy upgrade if, like me u plan to keep the car for a long time and plan to do further mods.

Audi A3 TDI 170 B.E.
Fitted GAZ coilover to my 172 and as soon as they where on it didn't feel as if they where doing the job better than the STD set-up, Felt like they where too hard or too soft with no control over the rebound damping didn't which didn't help. Would go for Leda's etc. if/when dampers blow out.
Also had 17" OZ Supperleggers which looked good, as put 15" back on and that was a no no. Would put 17" on again but not worth spending the extra money for that 1" step in wheels size. (car was used mainly for motorway miles so didn't miss the handling)

Lionel Richie
i regret getting a penis reduction, it means i feel less adequate with myself and end up arguing on here!

E91 M Sport
Naturally all my mods are good, or I wouldn't have done them ;)

But if I had to list them in preference, this would be the order:

Upgrade Stereo - yup, this sounds chavtastic, but I love music, and the setup I have is clearer and nearer true 'hifi' than almost any other I've heard (Becker H/U, Focal Comps, RE10 Sub + bits). Whether I'm on the motorway or hacking down a B-road, a good tune never goes amiss!

Momo 320mm Steering Wheel - this isn't really a nicety, its necessity. Not only is the standard wheel so large that it looks and feels crap, but making the wheel smaller effectively makes the steering quicker. Momo's feel great on track or on the motorway and the Millenium Evo 2 matches the interior pretty well too.

Ferrodo DS2500 Pads - I couldn't stop properly before, now I can. Says it all really.

BMC CDA - Its debatable whether induction kits are any better (or worse) than standard airboxs. Regardless of that (assuming the CDA gives you the same power), I think its worth £150 for the cool but subtle noise it makes.

Rota Wheels - I'm not a fan of aftermarket alloys, but I took a chance with the Rota Slipstream (or more accurately, Ross told me I'd look ghey if I didn't ;)) and its really paid off. The wheels weigh half the standard weight which can't be bad, and they give it a unique look that hopefully (imo anyway) looks like a lightly tuned 182 rather than a over-wheeled shopping kart.

Cobra Suzuka Seats - Simply amazing difference. You can feel what the car is doing and concentrate on driving instead of holding on while cornering or braking. Glad I'm under-fed though; its not designed for the average westerner ;) Along with the harnesses and the low subframes, the position is perfect, although it makes you look like a 10-year old from the outside.

Gaz Coilovers - Last on my list, but I don't think they're as bad as their reputation suggests. They are hard, but that's not a bad thing unless you want a soft ride. You can make the dampers softer, but they don't feel very stable if you do. I have mine set to 8-10 clicks (out of 40-odd) from the hardest setting. I need to do a track-day or two before I draw a final conclusion on them, but recent tweaking with my camber and toe has suggested that a firm ride with good turn-in is certainly possible.

For the future?? Perhaps a nice set of Yoko Parada's for the new year, and then a Focus ST in the summer!! lol ....anyone want to make an early offer for my car? ;)

182>FRS>VX220 now 350Z
lol @ Fred.

...I just re-read my initial post and I kinda think it may come across to some that I am unhappy with my car and/or that I have wasted a load of money. First of all I have to say I was and still am very happy with my car, its a beast and I think the majority of modifications have been very worthwhile! However, I have learnt a lot along the way and the basic idea of this thread was to try and convey some of my findings and also state various observations.

Thanks primarily to GDI and AWT the tuning options available for the clio have come along way indeed! When I set about modifying my car I had a budget in mind and although obviously constrained by this; a limited number of tuning options. I never even considered the possibility that Omex would even be viable for the Clio let alone affordable. If I was to start all over I would carefully consider this route as I really want a cable throttle (nice and fast response) so no doubt I would now go with the Jenvey ETCC throttle body, Omex management, AWT manifold and cams etc.

End of the day I personally have made good and bad purchasing decisions (imo of course), not just with respect to my car but also other stuff. One good decision I made was to have all my work carried out at GDI in Cambs. (despite the 3 hour drive and the dreaded convo where Andy tells me he wants me there by 9am!! Lol). Whilst doing my research I spoke to Hill Power, BBPT, Mark Fish Motorsport and obviously GDI. I obtained quotes from each and discussed the tuning options and benefits/downsides etc etc. It was GDI I went with, not because of price but because imo they were the best people to carry out the work.

What it comes down to is customer satisfaction….my expectations were met and I am satisfied. My car is quick. See you at the track! :D

Clio 172 mk2
I'm a great believer in subtle modifications so will be adding a Sports cat to my K-tec stealth and green panel filter.....and then stopping there....the car sounds good, doesn't attract much attention, looks OE and is cheap to run:D

If I want more power I'll just buy a different car.

Audi A6 (S3 on order)
Thought that was why you left ? (never to return)

Fred2001Dynamic said:
i regret getting a penis reduction, it means i feel less adequate with myself and end up arguing on here!

Audi A6 (S3 on order)
I sprayed mine with pine fresh and have it dangling from the rear view mirror ?

they told me ..... ;)

Bad mods:
Decat - lost power, but was cheaper than a cat... come to thnik of it, it's never actually fit correctly to my magnex, std system or powerflow... avoid BB twisting decat's, utter shite... it's now split too...
Brembo Max disks - shite, lasted 4k and fade like a mofo... were good for the first few days... sending back to Brembo with a nasty note the goat blowers...

Good mods:
AWT cams & verniers - best value mod I have done even though it cost more, as it's the only thing I can honestly say has made a difference you can see and feel on the road. not got the verniers on, so untimed and mapped... can only get better.
Low temp fan switch - okay, not a mod in some people's eyes but vital to a French car in summer.