ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What mods have you regretted/changed and why? The best upgrades...

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
MarkM said:
"What mods have you regretted/changed and why? The best upgrades..."

I think Gary was asking people to give opinions on what mods they have made to there own cars. Sticking to the subject helps provide the forum users with an informative useful forum. Your BS is getting a bit tedious. :boring:

ENGINE

Decat Janspeed - On as same time as exhaust does rev a bit more freely.
Exhaust Magnex - Nice noise BHP prob min with above

SUSPENSION

Eibach pros - excellent fast road but not really suited to the track.

KONI and sportlines GREAT AND PERFECT FOR THE ROAD AND WORTH ABOUT 10 secs arround the ring.

BRAKES

Road - Std discs and DS2500 pads - EXCELLENT
Track - Std discs and DS3000 - EXCELLENT BUT WILL RUIN WHEELS
BRAIDED HOSES AND UPRATED FLUID - EXCELLENT AND ESSENTIAL

No regrets as of yet......

EK9 + Mfactory gearing..
any thread that saves others the time & money of experimentation and choosing the not so good mods is a good one eh.

as for TB's versus cams yes TB's are better, but even on a standard engine they still cost a hell of a lot more than a cam setup. bear in mind people like Ross have OMEX, which iirc is at least twice the cost of SMT6 and something like that is required for TB's. Cams you can get away with hacking the original ECU and having it fiddled with.

As for off shelf chips they will never be as good as the real thing and cost far to much for what they are imo.

E92 M3 Monte Carlo
TheJesus said:
as for TB's versus cams yes TB's are better, but even on a standard engine they still cost a hell of a lot more than a cam setup. bear in mind people like Ross have OMEX, which iirc is at least twice the cost of SMT6 and something like that is required for TB's. Cams you can get away with hacking the original ECU and having it fiddled with.

As for off shelf chips they will never be as good as the real thing and cost far to much for what they are imo.
throttle bodies can be run off the standard management if you've got the right equipment

Clio 182
haitch said:
any thread that saves others the time & money of experimentation and choosing the not so good mods is a good one eh.

I agree with Haitch

I think this thread is great for someone like me I do loads of reading on this site of peoples comments and experiences to decide on what to mod next. (took 17 months to decide on my first mods). Its handy to have it all in one thread.

I don't know much about tuning but I want to get envolved, so its great to see what other people have had done and whats rated and whats not. I would use this to base my next mods on no problems as the people posting I know have the knowledge and the experiences to help me make the right choice. Hence bining the lexus lights !!

E92 M3 Monte Carlo
Fred2001Dynamic said:
thats not much use!!

come on reveal all, or have i got to go up the m42 6junctions to find out???
you know more than me,i was just going off the fact that nothings impossible

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider
technically its possible..... but the amount of time and effort to do it would be expensive when there are "easier" ways.... IMO!

matty w said:
throttle bodies can be run off the standard management if you've got the right equipment

define 'run'? if by that you mean you could make a map to make the car start up then maybe, but as for actually utilising the TB's the stock ECU is not up to it... really stand alone management is the only way to have a 'proper' setup.

Dirty E91
oneeighttwo said:
I agree with Haitch

I think this thread is great for someone like me I do loads of reading on this site of peoples comments and experiences to decide on what to mod next. (took 17 months to decide on my first mods). Its handy to have it all in one thread.

I don't know much about tuning but I want to get envolved, so its great to see what other people have had done and whats rated and whats not. I would use this to base my next mods on no problems as the people posting I know have the knowledge and the experiences to help me make the right choice. Hence bining the lexus lights !!

LOL 17 months! I've had mine for about 19 months now and the only thing I've changed is the air filter!
(Do you still knock about with Des and Keith?)

Clio 182
martynh said:
LOL 17 months! I've had mine for about 19 months now and the only thing I've changed is the air filter!
(Do you still knock about with Des and Keith?)

yep sitting next to Keith right now and Des has been giving me hassle all day !! Nothing unusual there then !!!

Renault clio 1.4
puttin a big fat exhaust on my clio, while has lost me back pressure and cant do over 100,ph now and also havin a car that sounds like a evo from far away and a clio drive's past doin 30. gunna get a k-tec cat back.
the exhaust i got at the moment was from a gold GTI which i had to weld and it is blowing well bad. lol o well.

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
TheJesus said:

Think you will find that TB are not more expensive as cams (and the other bits needed) to get 210+hp.

Read this thread:- £££ for215bhp

Oh BTW TB's are not 5k and it is not a case of just putting cams in with a remap or SMT and getting well over 200bhp as you keep stating via PM. So please stop filling my Message box. My thread is informative and factual and has got a lot of input from all the right people. If you have nothing factual or constructive to post then please dont bother.....

I could post your PM's but they will just get the thread deleted and make you look silly.

Thanks

FTO GPX 2.0 V6
Good Mods

Prefer the Black Lexus rears to the MK2 Phase 1 standard rears, Angle Eyes look much better than the standard.
Powerflow custom catback zorst - Gives a very loud tone and looks a million times better.
17" Wolfrace alloys, big improvement over the standard Clio steel rims and better grip on the road.

Poor mods

Ktec ramcharger induction kit - took it off after 3/4 months due to it making the engine randomly cut out and having start problems due to not letting enough air into the engine. I do beleive that it would be a good mod for the phase 2 but not for the phase 1 with Air Con - (not enough room in the engine bay)

Vdo Dayton autochanger - doesn't have antishock and everytime I go over a bump the cd skips!!

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
im only 19/poor/with little time...so my mods might seem small to all you lot, but i like em..

induction kit - made car faster on 0 - 60 and sound gr8. word of advise to ppl like me, make sure to check your mixture; mine was burning to week when i just put the kit on, but when corrected the results were gd.

decat/backbox - i put a peco powermax (i think) on, sounds nice. my old cat also broke, so i took the insides out and made it into a decat - very gd resaults; louder, faster, smoother....

TSW Alloys - They look nice, thats bout it...

Audio - i love my music, and love it loud n bassy! setup is:

Aiwa MP3/cd head unit w/remote.
2 x 4" front speakers @ 60wrms each
2 x 6x9's (worfdale) rear shelf speakers @ 80wrms each
2 x 12" Bass Subs @ 300wrms each
Mutant 280SP Power Amp - 280wrms @ 2ohms
IPOD Dock

>> i found the mutant amp out proformed alot of the other amps around the 250/300wrms range; you can push it further and further provided you cn supply the power & keep it cool without worry of it blowing up (really gd cutouts).

i also have HID type bulbs, very blue n very bright!

im happy with all of it. thats all i can think of atm....

E91 M Sport
The Fatty said:
i also have HID type bulbs, very blue n very bright!

So many people have these now!? I keep seeing blue lights (as blue as xenons) in the distance, so you play that game of 'guess the car' because you think it must be expensive. Turns out to be some old Fiesta instead. :rasp:

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
miketheman2k said:
So many people have these now!? I keep seeing blue lights (as blue as xenons) in the distance, so you play that game of 'guess the car' because you think it must be expensive. Turns out to be some old Fiesta instead. :rasp:

theres a way to tell the diff! Real gas filled HIDs arnt always blue. when you look at them, its normally only around the edge there blue, and only on the top/bottom (the obisit side is red ish)

the type i have simply produce a blue light all the time, much the same as a painted bulb! lol.

E91 M Sport
True, but from a distance (especially on cars without projector lenses) its not exactly easy to see the difference.

By the time they're close-up, you can guess that most rust-buckets won't have xenons! ;) (not saying yours is!!!)

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
you think it could be made 4wd? move exhaust to 1 side and put shaft where it normally goes? (i ave no idea about that type clio...so im probably talking sh*t, but hey, passes the time....)