ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What Nikon to buy ??

clio 182 with cup
Hi right seems to be as good a photography forum as a car forum.
Thinking of buying a D40 with standard 18-55 lens for general stuff but I need to do really close up macro stuff as well.
I presume I need another lens for this but will it work on automatic with the camera ie will it be like the standard lens ?
Can I do it with some sort of gismo add ons that magnify by X 2, X 4 etc or are they no good.
Your expert thoughts appreciated - about £250 to spend Cheers :)

Ian

Focus TDCi
I own a Canon, so I'm a little short on knowledge when it comes to Nikon.

The D40 will be a fine starting point, it's a very capable camera. Some people don't like it's lack of inbuilt AF motor, but for macro photography this won't be a problem I wouldn't have thought, as you'll be using manual focus to precision focus. If you want Autofocus you need to choose a lens with an inbuilt motor.

For £250 I can't see you being able to afford both the camera with kit lens and a second lens. However, the kit lens, if anything like the Canon equivalent, is also a very capable lens and should be 'ok' for macro work. I think Ukaskew/Chris has some sort of macro filters so maybe he can give you a nod in the right direction with regards to those.

When you say 'work on automatic' do you mean like a point and shoot? If so, you would get much more control by exploring some of the other modes the camera has to offer. I'm sure we'd be happy to help you if you have any questions regarding that.

Hope that's been of some help. :)

330Ci (Fail)Sport
For the D40 to autofocus with other lenses, they need to have an inbuilt autofocus-motor in them, Nikon's range are called AF-S.

Sigma and Tamron both do a range as well, you can find which ones on their websites, although most online shops will say if they can autofocus with the D40 or not, but best to check.

All other lenses will be manual focus only.

Fiat Panda 100hp
For macro work have a look at some hoya close up filters. Work very well if your on a budget. Not sure how well they work on the kit lens, but Chris off here used them with a 50mm prime and it worked really well.

Megane Mk4
I have a Nikon D40 and standard 18/55mm lens, for Macro I use macro tubes but you have to have the Camera on Manual function to use them or the camera will complain there is no lens fitted, also with the standard Nikon lens, you will have to use something to keep open the shutter as everything will turn out dark. btw, I bought the tubes from eBay for about £4.. example - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Macro-Extensi...|66:4|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:200

DSC_7539.jpg

DSC01147.jpg

55mm:
DSC_7532.jpg

Macro (with all the tubes being used..)
DSC_7518.jpg

DSC_7519.jpg

182 & Porsche 986
Dont really see how the macro filters and stuff work if they are so cheap they can't give that amazing results. the above pics arn't really in focus.

D50 and use the spare cash to get a 50mm f1.8 and the close up filters.

+1 this was my first dslr and i can recommend it, plus they shouldn't be too expensive as they have been replaced.
i'd save up for a decent macro lens or a prime lens could be cheaper? my 50mm 1.8 seems to do well focusing close up but not macro close.

don't get the D40. get the sony A200

http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/prod609.html

you couls buy an extention tube or fit a close up lens. these reduce your minimum focus distance but you loose infinity focus

Hi right seems to be as good a photography forum as a car forum.
Thinking of buying a D40 with standard 18-55 lens for general stuff but I need to do really close up macro stuff as well.
I presume I need another lens for this but will it work on automatic with the camera ie will it be like the standard lens ?
Can I do it with some sort of gismo add ons that magnify by X 2, X 4 etc or are they no good.
Your expert thoughts appreciated - about £250 to spend Cheers :)

clio 182 with cup
Hi after a lot of web searching and trying lots of cameras bought a Sony A350 - just waiting for the bl**dy battery to charge - thanks for the replies