ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What paint for the sills.

FF 182
My sills look really tatty and spoil the look of my car. Whats the best stuff to paint them with? My brother reckons underseal, my dad reckons some anti stonechip paint. Is there anything better than those suggestions?

Thanks.

FF 182
Finally found out what you meant :p Schutz underseal.

Anyway, after reading up a bit on underseals etc i dont think i'll bother. Think i'll just rub them down, prime them then spray them.

Unless someone else has a different idea?

Cup In bits
If your on about your actual sills then use Schutz and paint over that but if your on about your skirts then its paint only as there plastic.

FF 182
Yeh mate the actual sills where the jacking points are. Looking at the car side on from a few metres away, they stick out like a sore thumb, look terrible.

So Schutz is paintoverable, thats great. Have a day off on fri so hopefully the weather is ok to get this done.

Thanks.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
So Schutz is paintoverable, thats great. Have a day off on fri so hopefully the weather is ok to get this done.
yupp, my sills are plastered in schutz gaurd lol. looks OEM finish and isnt a pain in the arse to paint over. bit of a scuff up with some sandpaper and primer will stick

Cup In bits
Schutz doesn't need any prep to paint over btw mate aslong as its freshly done and clean off course. German tanks and many other manufacturers do this standard.

Cup In bits
On a bare shell restoration you would full prime then do Schutz on arches and sills then colour over the top. Some people like the Schutz over the colour.

FF 182
Might just be me, but I always think they're much more visible on Titanium/Iceburg than other colours, probably because it's light.

They are mate, for sure. My bro has a silver 1.6 clio and his sills are black and look pretty much invisible from a few metres away. Quite tempted to do them black, but will more than likely go with oem look.

So the schutz wont need any prep work, i.e light rub down before applying it?

Cup In bits
The paint will need keyed for the Schutz I dare say but Schutz itself needs no prep in order to paint over. It will advise on the tin though.