ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

WHAT PROBLEMS HAVE PEOPLE HAD

Golf 1.4 TSI

I HAVE ONLY HAD MY 172 FOR A WHILE AND KEEP HAVING A FEW PROBLEMS, LIKE EXHAUST RATTLE, SERV LIGHT GOING ON, AIRBAGLIGHT ETC WHAT PROBLEMS HAVE OTHER PEOPLE HAD WITH THEIR CLIOS, I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW JUST TO SEE EXACTLY HOW COMMON FAULTS ARE, MINOR OR MAJOR ONES

OK HEAR GOES

New gearbox, 4 driveshafts due to engine in incorrect place, rattle from airbag, airbag light comes on, rattle at 4000rpm, rattle/vibration at 2100rpm, new centre section of exhaust, new gearbox leaver

APART from that NO MATE!!!!!!!!!

I had to have a new ECU after 1 week, and Ive just had to have a new coolant temperature sensor fitted (4 months later)

4k buzz from the exhaust(sorted within 2days and no return to dealer after) airbag light (same story) and apart from that no problems at all, ive done over 12k now and had the car a year from brand new and have to say im totally happy with it :D

4 K buzz also, just had that fixed i have had several wheel bearings go.

Also had an oil leak that has been fixed, but dispite allt his the car is still great, and after owning the car for 2 years i still find myself taking the long way home :)

Ive had loads of probs with my valver spent about £3000 in just over 1 1/2 years of owning it although its fine now im bored and want a 172 mk11 i will probably buy a 2nd hand 1 hope i dont have all these problems that you lot have

Rob.

are drive shafts a common problem on the mk2 172, as my 02 car has only done 3k miles and the near side drive shaft needs replacing.

Elise/VX220/R26

Ive had some interior trim replaced and three new keys!! Last time my key died was at york dragway last event. Anyone could have just opened the car up and helped themselves cos I couldnt lock it (well not the boot) Apart from that Ive had no problems.

does anyone know whats the score with warranty on the imports as i keep hearing conflicting stories. i would much rather renault pay for my drive shaft than me and with such low milage i wouldnt be very happy if i had to pay.

my mate works as a legal advisor for the car industry and he was telling me that hed not go within a mile of an import.

Warranty issues and the cars not worth as much, resale value, being as its an import.

I use the policy of buying second hand and hoping the first poor bugger thats owned it has sorted all its faults! Worked well so far!

I have a 1.2 16v Billabong, where shall I start for problems, let me see, okay, the sunroof has been fixed 3 times for rattles (going in for the 3rd one tomorrow, fingers crossed) when I collected it the passenger window squeaked and the dash was rattling, the clutch pedal has been replaced as it was jerky and creaking (still creaks), the car used to stall until they updated the ECU, I have a slight judder on the clutch, drivers door fixed as something was loose in it, my dealership broke my key, bonnet resprayed as it was bubbling, tracking adjusted, and the speaker was loose in passenger door

Oh and my dealership are useless and dont know their arses from their elbows

I have had replaced: (car brand new)

Fuse board and ECU after 3 days.

Gear Box

Engine Loom

Alternator

Seat Rails

Headlamp Washers

.........and now I have a very loud thumping noise coming from the offside when turning sharply!!

Car has now done 8.5k!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

i get this itch some times on my leg...

oh sh*t

erm 3 gearboxes and about 7 driveshafts

Only just got my Mk1 172, came with all bills from previous owners which include new PAS pump, cooling fan & one rear shock, not too bad after 38k. (or maybe he binned the bills for the new gearbox and engine rebuild!!).

not a 172, but 5 days after taking dilivery of my 1.2, i went round a corner and the tire came off the rim, slid off the road, nearly hit another car ect ect... renault paid for the damage as the tire was found to be fine and the tire must have been underinflated on dilivery, accoring to 2 proffessionals!

Just a word of warning for anyone who has a 1.5dci 65bhp. That was my previous clio which the engine decided to blow up after 13000 miles (popped a con rod), then the power steering rack had to be replaced as it was clunking. Wasnt finished there as the back brake shoes decided to stick on. Only had the car 2 years and ended up being on first name terms with the AA man.:(

Ive got a DCi 65hp and had not to many problems

Alarms to sensitive

Central locked unlocked the car at random.

Squeeky sunroof but its not to bad and the dealership cannot here it , Im just picky.

Glove box only open 2 inches.

Noisy relay which is annoying when th wipers ar on auto setting and it keeps clicking in and out.

Passenger electric motor is going I recon as its very slow going up and noisy.

Not sure u can call it a problem but due to poor (non existanat) road feel I lost it reciently on a bend. This set the passenger airbag of even though noone was in the seat. I dont understand why it needed to go of.

However my dealer seems fine about fixing stuff still even if there not to interested ringing me back regarding buying another new car from them.

Leah172mk2 was there any reason why your engine failed had it been chipped?

My engine is OK although after 16k, doesnt drink a drop of oil.

EDD

Leah172mk2

Ive been thining the engine in the 65 is exactly the sameas the 80hp. Thats worrying. I guess it must have been a bad batch. Die you get a good deal on the 172 due to your cars previous problems.

EDD

Engine was standard, but have to agree with you in that it must have been from a bad batch. I know someone thats got a 80bhp version and not had any problems. I also had the squeaking sun roof and the glove box that didnt shut properly. Very annoying as every time you turn the lights on the light in the glove box comes on aswell!! Ended up going to an Arnold Clark dealer as i got virtually no back up from the Parks garage. So am now on to my third clio and so far so good with this one. Did get a good deal on the 172 even though it was a different dealer. Once my second engine was in the car it felt alot more responsive than it did before. However i never quite had the confidence in it to chip it. Just unluckly i guess.