ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What size speakers can I fit into the Clio

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Just wondering what size speakers I can get in the Clio or am I stuck with standard size? Standard size is 10cm iirc(been a while)?

I want to know because I'm thinking of upgrading sound system after Christmas with a head unit, amplifier, speakers and a sub.

If anyone knows if its possible to fit bigger speakers in the existing positions that would be great.

Any help would be much appreciated.

2003 1.2 billabong
ph 2's are 13cm :)

and if you dont mine making up an mdf baffle to widen the gap you can go the next size up.

check through the guides there a few in there

There are some direct replacements, can't remember what they are or who makes them but I think they're around £70 for the fronts!

(Useful I know, but I think a search brings them up :))

Thrust-Rated

ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Ill have a search about later when I get chance. I've found some for 49 quid which read up to be decent.

Cheers.

ITB BG 182
Make up the baffle or buy them pre made, cut the back of the doorcard out and drill the baffles in, job done and 6.5"s in!

Thrust-Rated

ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
These are speakers to be amped too yes? So it possible to get 6.5" in and refit the covers?

ITB BG 182
These are speakers to be amped too yes? So it possible to get 6.5" in and refit the covers?

Yepp

IMG_1398.jpg

Thrust-Rated

ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
That looks decent. What amp do you have connected to those.

Thrust-Rated

ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Bought a Sony head unit today. On offer at halfords for 80 quid, Bluetooth, music streaming. Has one pre out on back. That's enough to run to an amp isn't it? Then from the amp to front speakers and a sub?

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Just stick a sub in the boot, cut the low freq's to the standard speakers via the HPF/LPF on the head unit (presuming you have a half decent one!) and crank it up. They more than cope with the mid/high stuff.

I really really wouldn't go to any further bother than that. Absolutely unnecessary IME and I'm a proper audiophile with a couple of grands worth of speakers in my front room ;)

PS: if you've only one pre-out, you'll only get one set of signals (L&R) from an amp (I'm sure my HU has 3 for front/rear/sub)... Use it for the sub, that's probably all it'll do anyway.

Thrust-Rated

ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Ok mate cheers for advice. Reckon that's all I can do with pre-out then? Amp to speakers. Not to sub too? :(

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Trust me .. there's no point spunking cash on the speakers - they are already components so you can't get better setup and they're well matched too, obviously.

Before you buy a sub, turn the filters on as mentioned, cut the bass to the front (200Hz and below) and crank it up .. they will be clear as a bell (unless they're blown haha). 13cm speakers attached to door cards do not do low frequencies.

Thrust-Rated

ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
In one ear out the other. Lol. No idea what's what. I've bought a Sony mex-bt3000 head unit if that helps.

Clio 182 Titanium
can anyone tell me how the standard system works? is there any crossovers on the front components or are they straight into the Head unit? power output of standard HU? the girlfriend likes the damn steering wheel controls so very stuffed with fitting all my posh aftermarket gear. it been years since I played with I.C.E
Can I fit an HU and keep the steering wheel controls, wasn't there an alpine adaptor a few years back?
I think the 182 sound system as standard is not bad at all. way better than what we used to get in the 90's!
the Sinfoni under the bed wants to come out to play...

Clio 182 Titanium
well one my HU is so rare... and fairly old now, there will be no adaptor for it, but Ill probably just get a top of the range Alpine, they used to be fairly good, just they started to add too many bells and whistle about 10 years ago. the average person didnt need to know about phasing by small degrees blah blah.