ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What size torx bits for stub axle please

PB 172 phase 2
Hi all, I'm replacing a bent stub axle but need the four torx bits sizes.
3 are same size and 4th is slightly smaller?

Please help, not much light left.

I THINK it was 3 10mm and one 8mm, I was reading a thread the other day. Let me see if I can find it.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
it's a 40 or 45 IIRC. Make sure you take some time cleaning up the threads on the rear of the bolts. It will save you hours, rounding the bolt and breaking tools. A dremmel and wirebrush is best.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Yeah defo get some penetrating oil on them. Deep sockets required and you'll use a whole vocabulary of swear words

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
The first time I did them I didn't clean up the backs and it took me hours, 2 broken tools and a blow torch. The second time I cleaned the backs up properly and had both sides done in an hour.

PB 172 phase 2
Yeah defo get some penetrating oil on them. Deep sockets required and you'll use a whole vocabulary of swear words
What size bits did you use to remove the screws?
Today I got a spline set that had an m8 and m10 but they didn't fit?

PB 172 phase 2
Halfords don't have m10 or m8, where can I buy the sockets bits to remove the four screws?
I bought a spline set today that had an m8 and m10 only they didn't fit ? They had twelve splines while mine looks more

PB 172 phase 2
Halfords don't have m10 or m8, where can I buy the sockets bits to remove the four screws?
I bought a spline set today that had an m8 and m10 only they didn't fit ? They had twelve splines while mine looks more
Mine has six splines- is that torx? Hex? Or some special holding me up tool?

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
They're torx bits mate, I can't remember the exact size though.

M8 and M10 are the thread size. Torx is the head type.

If you search axle spacer threads, you'll find the info you need there I rekkon. I'd do it for you but I'm currently 5 pints deep in the pub

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Clios use T20, T30 and T40.

Just got to halfords, buy the bits. If you own a Clio for any longer than a month, it's guaranteed you'll need them again.

PB 172 phase 2
They're torx bits mate, I can't remember the exact size though.

M8 and M10 are the thread size. Torx is the head type.

If you search axle spacer threads, you'll find the info you need there I rekkon. I'd do it for you but I'm currently 5 pints deep in the pub
Thank you for answering, have a good one!

PB 172 phase 2
Clios use T20, T30 and T40.

Just got to halfords, buy the bits. If you own a Clio for any longer than a month, it's guaranteed you'll need them again.
I have a T30 and that didn't fit. I bought a T40 and a T27 and they both didn't fit? Any ideas? I'm not a noob but then I'm not a professional mechanic.

172 Ph1
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455920770.752372.jpg

I'm sure it's a Torx 45 , 50 max

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
If I'm sober enough tomorrow I'll whip the back wheel/disc off and get you pics and sizes.

A

PB 172 phase 2
So just go up/down in size as required??

I don't mean to be rude, but Should you be working on cars?!

I'm being ribbed because I am asking for help in the right section? That's what this site is for isn't it, talk of cars/problems/solutions? But anyway...

M2 Comp
So just go up/down in size as required??

I don't mean to be rude, but Should you be working on cars?!

I have to agree with Daniel - common sense, surely?

Anyway, it looks like a T45 to me, but as has already been said, get yourself a set of Torx bits from Halfords and it'll save you the hassle of buying individual sockets, only to find they're the wrong ones.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I'm being ribbed because I am asking for help in the right section? That's what this site is for isn't it, talk of cars/problems/solutions? But anyway...
You're not being ribbed mate.

But if something doesn't fit, you try the next size.

If you go to a shoe shop and try a pair of size 9's but they're too tight, would you ask for some 10's? Or would you just leave the shop claiming you didn't know what to do?