ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What speakers are you running in your clio?

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Nothing yet but im going to be replacing my speakers with JL, Hertz or Focal. (not made my mind up yet)

Need to go and see my mate at his audio shop 1st

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
They are s**t, save the money and put a sub in the boot.

Nothing 5" will sound that great.

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6
They are s**t, save the money and put a sub in the boot.

Nothing 5" will sound that great.

They will do for now until I get JL or focal's

I wont bother with a sub thats so 10 yrs ago for me although my Rockford punch sub in my 1st car was banging lol

tyna9aga.jpg

This little set up is perfect for me.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
They will do for now until I get JL or focal's

I wont bother with a sub thats so 10 yrs ago for me although my Rockford punch sub in my 1st car was banging lol

And how old was you 10 year's ago?

Beaten up 182
If you're on a budget the ones i linked to do sound really good although don't expect great bass out of doors with no sound proofing!

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
What TheEvilGiraffe says is true ya'll know. Get a head unit you can program your speakers into and it will automatically sort the crossover to give the best range from the speakers.

I find listening to the stereo when the car isn't on it's rather good. Only the road noise makes it seem bad.

Beaten up 182
I would of thought so, an MDF shelf would probably be a better idea. Don't think of putting them in the factory shelf!

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
But then the tweeters will be at knee level :S

Seriously.. Just a small sub in the boot and standard speakers up front. Decent HU is key IMO.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
If you take the bass to a sub in the boot or whatever, does this stop the rattling of the car? Most of my rattles seem to come from the door cards, I have the bass set to -6, I would love love love to be able to have decent audio at a decent volume, it's the most frustrating thing about the car - current set up is all standard.

Clio 172, Pug 106
I have a mix and match of a JL audio sub, Phoenix gold amps, (mono for sub, 4ch for speakers) Phoenix gold components at the front, and some normal speakers at the back & a kenwood DVD flip out screen to finish it off

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6
What you mean by components? I don't really know a lot when it comes to audio lol

Basically coaxial have a tweeter on the front as a component speaker dont its built in

Coaxial will give you treble, Component gives you more mid

Beaten up 182
Component speakers are sets of speakers that cover the sound spectrum instead of one doing the lot. In cars that usually means a tweeter and mid-base. They usually come with crossovers.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
I would defo run components in the rear for more punch. Coaxial for the front for your treble

Why do you want treble behind you ? You want co-ax in the back if anything at all..

Coaxial will give you treble, Component gives you more mid

Err.. :S

The components will be better on treble as they have a crossover feeding the right frequencies to the cones that can deal with them. Co-ax are flawed for many reasons.

It does matter where you place the tweeters though .. and how you set it all up.

Clios already have a very good set up in the front with a component set. Turn the bass off with a decent HU (alpine etc) via the HPF/LPF and your ears will bleed before they distort .. !

If you take the bass to a sub in the boot or whatever, does this stop the rattling of the car? Most of my rattles seem to come from the door cards, I have the bass set to -6, I would love love love to be able to have decent audio at a decent volume, it's the most frustrating thing about the car - current set up is all standard.

Take the door cards off and see what's rattling. Maybe put some sound deadening on the inside of the door.

Decent HU and a sub - the bass will make things rattle, but not in the same way. If the door speakers are set up to only do >200Hz, there's no low frequencies directly in there.

Crank it all up and it won't so much rattle as resonate :eek: Normal (ish) volumes you should be OK .. if there's still issues, work out what's rattling and get some sticky-sided foam to put under things.

Listerine & Poledo
Basically, everything above

The standard front speakers will handle mid and treble from a head unit just fine.
Cut low-end from the head unit settings, plug in a sub-with-amp box.
If you do really want to swap out speakers then it's components at the front (5"?) and co-ax (5"? Again not sure).
Thing is, there's no point unless you're going to use an external amplifier, then you've got to wire in all new speaker cables, take the dash off, mount crossovers somewhere....it's a lot more effort, which won't get you much more bass. Mid range will be nice though.

With that in mind, you'll still need something to give you bass. So you're back to a sub. And because you've now got much more powerful speakers, you probably need a bigger sub than before.

Unless your aim is to create noise pollution in car parks and on high streets, you should have a have a listen to other people's setups and see what you reckon is worth it for your budget. With CSS coming along you could well ask for some invites beforehand

:)

I disagree with the no bass up front theory, if I'm honest, having nothing up front sounds plain odd to me, and can also leave gaps in music caused by there being nothing to do mid bass, not trying to annoy anyone, just my opinion.
I very much like my music, and therefore, audio.
In the clio I will be running focal polyglas anniversaries up front off a genesis profile and possibly a couple of small subs under the passenger seat if I can be bothered, nothing heavy though!

Listerine & Poledo
That's great n all, but you're pouring about 1/4 of the value of your entire car into the doors.

Also I'm guessing that being such audiophile you'll be running a DAT drive?

Titanium Clio 182
I'm not really an audio person and all this doesn't really mean anything to me. If I wanted to beef up the sound a little can I just remove the speakers that are in and replace with better ones of same size in doors etc ? And from original head unit ? If so what would anyone recommend without spending a fortune but improving the sound quality etc ? I have thought of getting a sub but don't really want all the boot taken up as I'm not 18 anymore and have to put prams in instead Lol. I see ppl about under seat subs but I don't see any for sale anywhere. Cheers.

I'm not a major audiophile, not enough to run DAT, never really had anything to do with it.
All the equipment is stuff I have lying around from previous cars.

Listerine & Poledo
I'm not really an audio person and all this doesn't really mean anything to me. If I wanted to beef up the sound a little can I just remove the speakers that are in and replace with better ones of same size in doors etc ? And from original head unit ? If so what would anyone recommend without spending a fortune but improving the sound quality etc ? I have thought of getting a sub but don't really want all the boot taken up as I'm not 18 anymore and have to put prams in instead Lol. I see ppl about under seat subs but I don't see any for sale anywhere. Cheers.

Check back through the thread fella :)

little sub&amp box in the boot.
1/2 decent head unit
done.

no need to start pulling your doors apart, the standard gear is decent enough for most people.

You can get underseat subwoofers that then wont eat up your boot space either, but give a bit of low-end rumble.

So a headunit can be, what, £100-£200, depending on features
underseat sub, I picked up a Kenwood one for £100 from eBay and it seems to be pretty decent...and thats in a convertible with the acoustics of a damp gutter

I disagree with the no bass up front theory, if I'm honest, having nothing up front sounds plain odd to me, and can also leave gaps in music caused by there being nothing to do mid bass, not trying to annoy anyone, just my opinion.
I very much like my music, and therefore, audio.
In the clio I will be running focal polyglas anniversaries up front off a genesis profile and possibly a couple of small subs under the passenger seat if I can be bothered, nothing heavy though!

Bass travels mate, doesn't matter where the sub (or bass source) is in the car it will still sound pretty much the same

Titanium Clio 182
Check back through the thread fella :)

little sub&amp box in the boot.
1/2 decent head unit
done.

no need to start pulling your doors apart, the standard gear is decent enough for most people.

You can get underseat subwoofers that then wont eat up your boot space either, but give a bit of low-end rumble.

So a headunit can be, what, £100-£200, depending on features
underseat sub, I picked up a Kenwood one for £100 from eBay and it seems to be pretty decent...and thats in a convertible with the acoustics of a damp gutter

Thanks mate will have a look back through sorry. Thanks for ya advice will check it out.