ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What to do? Swap 197 for 182?

172 gone :( 197 now :)
I used to have a 172 which was mint and i loved it. I damaged the back end and traded it in for a 197. Ive never really got on with this car, it looks awkward from certain angles and not as much fun. It takes a lot more to get any pleasure from it then it tries to kill me (well maybe thats a lack of skill i dont know :)). With fuel prices these days its got to go (used to get 10mpg more out the 172) so ive been looking at diesels something cheap to run but then i might become depressed and lose my job because driving to work in a renualtsport is the only motivation to get up at stupid o'clock in the morning! :) what to do? vrs? 182? twingo? need something bit cheaper to run really any ideas?

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
If you were looking to trade back down- I would buy something like an 03 Plate monaco Blue 172 low miles for around 3k & have some pennies in your pocket

S

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
I prefer the mark 2's to the 3's.

When i was looking for a new 182 i tried a 197, liked it and that. Then got back in a 182 and knew it was the right choice.

Sam!

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
I agree regarding the 172- 182.

I went for a 172 after looking at several 182s - I couldn't justify the extra outlay for the 182.

If I had my time again I'd probably go for a cup over the 172 I have because I still love that blue! but then somedays I'd much rather have mine.

182/ 172 Cup
197s fuel is a killer. I have to commute to work and this was the deal breaker! I could get 43mpg on the way to work with the 182. 197 I was looking at 30! Shame. Lovely cars.

White clique
I personally dont see the massive issue with the fuel consumption on a 197, i had one for 18 months and got 28mpg with mostly town driving, OK not exactly amazing but in real terms over an 182 (which i had before), I was maybe speding an extra 5-7 pounds on fuel a week - its not as crippling as people are making out.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
I personally dont see the massive issue with the fuel consumption on a 197, i had one for 18 months and got 28mpg with mostly town driving, OK not exactly amazing but in real terms over an 182 (which i had before), I was maybe speding an extra 5-7 pounds on fuel a week - its not as crippling as people are making out.

It's all relative though. For many the fuel consumption of 1*2 is as bad as they are willing to go/can comfortably afford to spend.

White clique
^ yes i definitely agree, but for the sake of a few quid in petrol money at the pumps its really not a reason i would use to not buy the car, especially as the 197 is also a fair bit cheaper to insure than a 182.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
^ yes i definitely agree, but for the sake of a few quid in petrol money at the pumps its really not a reason i would use to not buy the car, especially as the 197 is also a fair bit cheaper to insure than a 182.

It might not be a reason you would use. But you might have more money than other on here to not have to care about such things!
At my age with insurance been relatively cheap anyway then the difference between the two would not be enough compared to the amount of miles/extra fuel I'd have to put in.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
I've owned a 172, 182 and a 197.

197 v 1*2 pros and cons

Build quality on the 197 is far superior
Handling on the 197 is massively better, corners that were nothing short of scary in the 1*2 are no problem in the 197.
fuel economy wise 197 averaging 26mpg the 1*2 averaged about 32mpg
The 197 feels slower (probably due to the flat spot at lower revs) but side by side the 197 pulls away.
197 is a pain to work on lol try changing a headlight bulb !
The brakes In The 197 are excellent, the 1*2 were just ok.
The 197 is the nicest looking of all the Clio range (maybe the v6 ?)

Having said all this 26mpg is a killer considering you only get 0-60 in 6.9 and you can buy other cars that will be just as fast and return 40+ mpg...