ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What to get D40, D50 or 350D??

Nez

White Megane R26 F1 230
Think I'm ready to move from my trusty Point and Shoot (Fuji F10).

I've found a good deal on a Nikon D40 with the 50-200mm VR lens £414

But should I be looking at anything else, D50 or the Canon 350D? This will be my first SLR and it need to be simple(ish) to use.

I’m looking to spend up to £450 (inc lens).

Any advice?

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
£414 isn't that good a deal IMO.

If you want to be able to get some older cheap lens, then get the D50/350D. D40 lens are generally more expensive, and there is less choice. D40 is more user friendly though

Dafthead

ClioSport Club Member
  MB EQC
Canon 400D should be on a good deal now as the 450D is now out.

They're all s**t hot no matter which you choose :D

Nez

White Megane R26 F1 230
I got that price from Camerabox.co.uk then went into Jessops and they couldn't get anywhere near... Where is the best place for deals?

350Z GT
I would go for the 350d personally, great camera (mate of mine has 1 and think it feels better in my hand than my 400d) has mostly the same features as my 400d and picture quality is pretty much the same when printed out.

Canon lens's aren't bad prices anyway to be honest if you eBay them. £450 is a lot of money to spend on the camera...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CANON-REBEL-X...ryZ31388QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

is £240 meaning £210 left for a lens which is a fair bit of cash to play with. The 350d is a very simple camera yet still has the features there when you decide to move on.

Edit: when looking can also get a 400d
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-CANON-EOS...9582482QQihZ017QQcategoryZ31388QQcmdZViewItem

for £340 meaning £110 left, tons of ££ to play with still for a lens, not bad considering both ^^ already have 1

Nez

White Megane R26 F1 230
I would go for the 350d personally, great camera (mate of mine has 1 and think it feels better in my hand than my 400d) has mostly the same features as my 400d and picture quality is pretty much the same when printed out.

Canon lens's aren't bad prices anyway to be honest if you eBay them. £450 is a lot of money to spend on the camera...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CANON-REBEL-X...ryZ31388QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

is £240 meaning £210 left for a lens which is a fair bit of cash to play with. The 350d is a very simple camera yet still has the features there when you decide to move on.

Edit: when looking can also get a 400d
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-CANON-EOS...9582482QQihZ017QQcategoryZ31388QQcmdZViewItem

for £340 meaning £110 left, tons of ££ to play with still for a lens, not bad considering both ^^ already have 1

The deal on the 350 is good... but I've just noticed its CF.. I've got loads of SD and XD cards but no CF... lol

Dodgy one
Ive got the 350d as my backup camera, when put side by side with my 40D with the same lens on Its difficult to distinguish which of my cameras a picture comes off,

Hope that made sense i'm still partly drunk

Vote for D40 here... or do a search on here as this question has been asked sooooooooooooo many times!!!

Nez

White Megane R26 F1 230
Looking at the D40x now.. £415 with the 55-200 VR lens.

I'm going to go and try them in Jessops before I make my final choice.

D

dick

dont worry about memory. £17.99 for a 4GF extreme 3.

btw, all canons are CF. (well 450d is SD.. because its wanting more people to go slr.) but high end slrs are all cf pretty much. olympus, canon, nikon,

its just 1 of them things.

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
I bought a D40 from Amazon for £276 and then Nikon do £35 cashback. They also do the lense your looking at for £136 which would make the toal £412 including the kit lens and the zoom lense then minus £35 cashback!

D40 on Amazon

"Navy" N17 TWO
I'm thinking of a Sigma 10-20mm lens and a Nikon 55-200mm VR for mine instead of paying a fortune for the Nikon 18-200mm VR one.

Prices are wild, and if you upgrade the camera in a year or two, will the lenses fit anything else?

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
^^ im thinking exactly the same mate.

I figured when/if the time would come to upgrade it would sell with those lenses anyway for a decent price!