ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What type of brake light for Clio 1?

A brake light has gone so I want to order a new one from eBay. Are these a standard size used in other cars too? What should I be looking for (keywords etc)? The last time I got the right size but the wrong type which made a light come on my dashboard. Presumedly I need a clear one as the casing makes it red?

Also, there seem to be a lot of LED ones for sale albeit for a lot more money. Are they any good ie as bright / brighter? Do they look like lots of LEDs through the red plastic or just merge together to look like a normal bulb?

Thanks

Last edited:
It's just a stop/tail bulb, your local petrol station will sell them. Take the one out you have see if it's straight pin or offset.

I've no idea about led ones though.

Thanks cat171. I visited your website 'Compare the Market' last week, but couldn't find you anywhere?!

I get the feeling that most brakelights are the same and the LED ones come in the same flavours - either with one electrical contact or two. As you can probly tell by my posts I don't have a mans understanding of cars. The last time I took the light unit off I struggled to get it back on! Does anyone know whether the mk1 has 1 or 2 contacts on the brake bulb to save me some hassle please?

Also, could the 'dead' bullb be the reason my battery occasionally goes dead within a day when nothing else seems to be left on?

Thanx in advance.

No worries,
It has two pins on it. When you have the holder in your hand gently push down on the bulb a bit & turn it anti-clock wose it should then release frm the holder.
I'm pretty sure that the bulb has two elements in it (two wire bits going across) one is the stop (brake) light, the other is the tail (back) light.
If you look at the bulb & both metla bits are fine then it's unlikey to be the bulb.