ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What tyres for fast road?

cup 182
What tyres do folk have on there clio?
Best for dry and wet grip.
I just got falken zeix ze 914 ecoruns
but already dont have much confidence in them in the wet.

cup 182
The falkens i got have a B grade for wet so i thought they would have been better
The goodyear f1 were C grade wet but were more expensive

Eagle F1 Assymetric 3 were not well rated in the recent evo tyre test, which makes a change from the previous versions, which were all highly rated IIRC.

PS3 is a good all-rounder and is usually quite competitively priced as it's an older design.

cup 182
I almost went for dunlop sportmaxx but the falken were good value and well rated
But the cars backend feels loose now and sliding out around corners at 40 or 50mph, iv had to catch it twice so far
The cars on coilovers and pressures are 33 fr and 30 rr as thats what was recommended to me

Clio 172 Cup
I run the AD08R's and love them, Bit twitchy in the wet but i rarely take it out when it rains.
Did a full track day at Brands last dec and the morning was wet, scary as hell going into Paddock but after a few laps an with some heat in the tyres it was ok.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I'm after Continental premium contact 6s next. They seem to be a good all rounder and replace the sportcontact 5. I've been running the sportcontact 3s for a few years and can't fault them

I almost went for dunlop sportmaxx but the falken were good value and well rated
But the cars backend feels loose now and sliding out around corners at 40 or 50mph, iv had to catch it twice so far
The cars on coilovers and pressures are 33 fr and 30 rr as thats what was recommended to me
Are they well scrubbed in? Not brand new and still have that slight sheen on them?

Some could argue that having a lively back end makes driving more fun, but if it's doing when you aren't planning for it, that could be an issue lol

What are your coilovers set at? If you set the rears softer, it should make it less likely to snap out.

You should consider if your driving technique needs tweaking if you're looking at all options as well - if you're backing off the throttle mid-bend, that will take the weight off the back end and increase the risk of it coming round, so try to brake before the bend, choose the speed you want/need, then balance the throttle/accelerate through the corner :)

You could also look at single-input steering, where you turn the wheel to an angle and then hold it throughout the bend, to keep the car more balanced. It doesn't always work, such as on twisty country roads, but clear sighted corners and large roundabouts are good practice!