ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What Was Your First Mobile Phone?

Unlucky Alf

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra GTC
10-motorola-history-160811.jpg
Motorola v8160
Then my dad gave me his Motorola t720
Then I had a Motorola v300.
Then one of those square Nokias.
Then basically went Sony Ericsson all the way with a k700i, k750i, 2 w610i's (all of which i still have now) and a w800?
And some others sony/Samsung. Haven't moved away from sony/Samsung since.

It seems many started with the Phillips C12.

I remember having a faux leather case with a plastic front cover to 'protect' it.

I have the same number today, that I had when I started out on an Orange bundle deal - 5 free texts per day so long as you had credit.

I always wanted the latest models so would pick up a Carphone Warehouse brochure and analyse the stats going down to see which had the most ringtones, best battery life etc. Back then you could grab something half decent for around £50 from memory. Use it for a bit and sell it to a mate and upgrade.

I used to detest phones that had the network provider printed on it.

I think my favourite phone was the Sony Ericsson P800:

image.jpeg

For 2002, it almost felt futuristic. My favourite feature was their version of MS Paint. You had the option to clip a keypad to the bottom if you didn't want to use a stylus.

Back then you really needed to be a Nokia owner if you wanted to accurately receive 'images' of bunny rabbits made up of :smile:?@£&|\||[ characters carefully positioned on several lines in the right format.

I forget which year saw the start of gifs and 3 second clips being sent via infrared.

I remember around 2004 a friend of mine being in pubs turning his Bluetooth on and hoping to find women that he could send notes to via Bluetooth. That was when you could ask for permission to view their files, I believe. Back when you borrowed someone's mobile to send a quick text if you had no credit to discover that when you intended to enter a space you either had a full stop or changed to caps/T9.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Bloody youths off today.

I remember one of my dads friends coming over with something like this. It might not have been this exact one, but it had a proper handset and had a telescopic aerial.

image.jpeg

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I remember orange trying to buy people out of that 5 free texts a day, as they were losing too much money.

Reactions: riz
  dan's cast offs.
i had a panasonic brick in my wagon many moons ago, can't remember what personal mobile i had at the time but was way more upmarket that the brick!!

to show how long ago it was it was an 09 number!!

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Haha oh yeah I remember the 09 numbers!

Remember when they added a 1 after the 0 for landlines too? Unless London which became 02?

motorola_memphis_mr201.jpg

This ugly thing although it was on one2one.

Very interesting phone actually. When i had run out of credit, if I put the phone under a pillow so the signal dropped significantly, I would be able to make calls and txts without credit. To this day, i dont know how that worked.. true story

Philip.

ClioSport Club Member
  VRS 245
Think mine was an 8210i.

Then some colour screened Motorola thing which blew my mind.

Rich..

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf
Used to be great when a new mobile came out, choosing a new mobile now is boring, they all look the same.

clio 3 rs 200
Mine was an ericsson hotline

My first phone was this beauty, I think it cost me something like £100 for the phone, plus £25 a month for the line, and 50p a minute for calls lol, it was an awesome phone at the time though and made most other phones look like bricks..
b2ccc55a70.jpeg
b2ccdc0809.jpeg
[/QUOTE]
Mine was a brown Ericsson hotline
Inspired by a thread on HUKD today, (some truly hideous phones posted on there), what was your first mobile phone?
My first phone was this beauty, I think it cost me something like £100 for the phone, plus £25 a month for the line, and 50p a minute for calls lol, it was an awesome phone at the time though and made most other phones look like bricks..
b2ccc55a70.jpeg
b2ccdc0809.jpeg
Mine was this. ..hotline..
Inspired by a thread on HUKD today, (some truly hideous phones posted on there), what was your first mobile phone?
b2ccc55a70.jpeg
b2ccdc0809.jpeg

Attachments

• ericsson_eh97_1.jpg
    ericsson_eh97_1.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 98

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
I remember orange trying to buy people out of that 5 free texts a day, as they were losing too much money.

Im sure One2One had an unlimited evening call plan that was worth 1k on ebay...

I had Orange Everyday 50.....I remember only calling people after 7.....

First phone was t68..

Best phone was 6310i..

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
God that was awesome. I also had the thin one after that before anyone else I know. D700 maybe?

dan's cast offs.
Im sure One2One had an unlimited evening call plan that was worth 1k on ebay...

I had Orange Everyday 50.....I remember only calling people after 7.....

First phone was t68..

Best phone was 6310i..

had that plan, think it was after 6:00pm until 7:00am? free to any landline or mobile...we used to have four hour phone sex with some bird we knew down south most nights of the week...great value for money!!!

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
I'm so old that I can't even find a pic of my first mobile phone ffs!

It was a Panasonic F1.

My second phone was a classic Motorola 8500
image.jpeg

Rich..

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf
Bloody youths off today.

I remember one of my dads friends coming over with something like this. It might not have been this exact one, but it had a proper handset and had a telescopic aerial.

View attachment 157631
I have an old Panasonic portable phone similar to that that I found at a car boot a few years ago, it weighs a ton, the battery alone is bigger than any mobile phone I ever saw. It came with leather cover and all the paperwork etc, and indoor and 12v chargers, the chargers are also massive!