ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What wax would you buy, around £120?

Clio
So I've recently been looking at some if the more expensive waxes (AF desire, swissvax shield, zymol glasur etc) so at this sort of price range (circa £120) what would get your money and why?

330i. E30 Touring.
I have a brand new Supernatural and a once used AF Illusion if anyone is interested...

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Dont know how much it sells for but the wax from MagpieV6 that Lesley used on our 182 recently was pretty awesome, might be worth dropping Magpie a PM and see how much she sells it for?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Zymol Carbon

Or Sonax BSD.

Shut up!

;) Pot of new or used Swissvax Shield or for a little less some Glasur. I'm not going to give too many alternatives because you've asked a simple question. If you want a special wax with a boutique feel, you simply don't get that by spending £30/£40.

Zymol Carbon would be my boutique budget choice.

I just think Shield is a stunning all rounder that requires little in the way of user experience. If you leave Glasur on a panel for 10 minutes then look out a apade chisel!

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6
Shut up!

;) Pot of new or used Swissvax Shield or for a little less some Glasur. I'm not going to give too many alternatives because you've asked a simple question. If you want a special wax with a boutique feel, you simply don't get that by spending £30/£40.

Zymol Carbon would be my boutique budget choice.

I just think Shield is a stunning all rounder that requires little in the way of user experience. If you leave Glasur on a panel for 10 minutes then look out a apade chisel!

spot on there. Carbon for me is the best sub £100 wax although bilt hamber finis wax is really nice aswell. I find carbon easier to work with then glasur. AF waxes u need a hammer & chisel after 30 seconds

Shield is amazing to use

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Finis wax punches above a lot of £100 waxes on looks and durability. I always said If I had the money i'd have it poured into the vintage container. :eek:

Boutique waxes are about the whole experience. AG HD outlasts my entire repertoire but it's last when it comes to feeling special.

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
Mirage/Spirit/Carbon are the only ones I've had real experience with in that sort of range (carbons cheap lala) -

Carbon for cost
Spirit for smell
Mirage for everything else

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Kyle 86 I still think you were doing something wrong to not get on with all the AF waxes. As Kev says, Glasur can be awkward if application is a little too long so I'm surprised you've not had trouble with that. AF Spirit is my general go to wax

without knowing what type of wax you want in more detail, id suggest zymol glasur, swissvax shield, autofinesse illusion, raceglaze 55, bouncers satsuma rock

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Again Dave, my porblem with the likes of spirit is it's almost Glasur cost and imo it can't compete with the boutique feel. Of course Glasur beads and sheets like the good ole days! It's old school cool!

Golf GT & A4 Avant
for use and feel, glasur everytime. but for a hard wearing wax that really performs in all areas till it dies off completely spirit works well in excess of glasur.

as said unless the ryan can give a bit more detail on what he wants from a special wax there's just no way to really suggest suitable options.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
@gally "Boutique" waxes seem to be more about the packaging and exclusivity than anything actually related to better results.

So I guess whether or not a "boutique feel" is a good thing or not is more about the person than the end result? if you are waxing your car because you want to wax your car because you enjoy the act of doing it particularly and hence want to use the nicest feeling products to do it then go boutique, if you just want a wax that works very well then the mainstream stuff is far better value?

Or does boutique mean something different to you? I see the term used a lot on detailing world etc and everyone seems to have a different view of what it means, lol.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Boutique to me is an enjoyable product to use, I will always enjoy waxing a car, regardless of what it is, over using a better performing sealant. It's all down to the individual user at the end of the day, and what type of feeling wax that user enjoys the most. Some get it from Victoria Concours / Collectors wax for £25. The final outcome and performance will have a little affect, as you want your £100+ purchase to perform a little, but I'd happily go out and apply Autofinesse Illusion every couple of weeks. With some the packaging and presentation will play a part, you can't deny a Zymol wax looks better packaged than AF.

It's all in the eyes of the user. Do I need anything more than autoglym HD wax? performance wise probably not, but I didn't really like using it so paid double the cost for something that doesn't last as long.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
@gally "Boutique" waxes seem to be more about the packaging and exclusivity than anything actually related to better results.

You're bang on although stating the obvious. Wax is never ever just about durability/performance. It can't be. Reason? A £20, even a £10 wax will last longer than a £1000 (Vintage) does that make the £10 one better?

A car can go from A to B but people still buy fancy cars that do the same job because they prefer that boutique feel. The quality, the ease of use.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Something you might relate to Chip.

I do general servicing and works to my cars, and have general halfords / britool tools, But always like to go over to my dads and use his snap-on / Mac tools. For the jobs I'm doing they do nothing better, regardless of if they have a lifetime warranty or higher stress grade etc.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Something you might relate to Chip.

I do general servicing and works to my cars, and have general halfords / britool tools, But always like to go over to my dads and use his snap-on / Mac tools. For the jobs I'm doing they do nothing better, regardless of if they have a lifetime warranty or higher stress grade etc.

Lol, very much so mate, I'm like it with engine parts especially, like my mrs daily when the cambelt went, it got ARP head studs, supertech valves, ARP conrod bolts etc.
The head studs in particular are a TOTAL waste of money as F4R's dont ever do in head gaskets, lots of people turbo them on 30 quid autofactor head bolts, but I just had to use a set of 200 quid fasteners cause its the right way to do it and they are so much nicer to use.

And likewise although I use a lot of halfords tools, I get a warm glow when I use any of my snap-on stuff as it just feels that bit nicer, my favourite tools are a snapon 3/8 wrench and a snapon 3/8 impact gun, neither do anything my cheap stuff doesnt, but they feel so much nicer to use.

To me cleaning stuff, whether that be the toilets when I was paying my way through uni or a car, or doing the hoovering etc, is just a chore really, so longer lasting is better, but I do realise how others feel about it and how they enjoy cleaning, my mrs is just as bad as you guys, she has 10 times as many products as she will ever actually need etc! lol

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6
Kyle 86 I still think you were doing something wrong to not get on with all the AF waxes. As Kev says, Glasur can be awkward if application is a little too long so I'm surprised you've not had trouble with that. AF Spirit is my general go to wax

without knowing what type of wax you want in more detail, id suggest zymol glasur, swissvax shield, autofinesse illusion, raceglaze 55, bouncers satsuma rock

I might of applied it to thick. Ill try again soon

Clio
for use and feel, glasur everytime. but for a hard wearing wax that really performs in all areas till it dies off completely spirit works well in excess of glasur.

as said unless the ryan can give a bit more detail on what he wants from a special wax there's just no way to really suggest suitable options.
I would like a good all rounder, great looks, decent durability, and Water behaviour is quite important to me too.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
If you want protection and water bebaviour to last and be durable, shield.

Glasur water bebaviour although brilliant won't last much more than 4 to 6 weeks without a good top up product, durability starts to fail at 3monhs on a daily when contaminants start to bond and not wash straight off

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6
If you want protection and water bebaviour to last and be durable, shield.

Glasur water bebaviour although brilliant won't last much more than 4 to 6 weeks without a good top up product, durability starts to fail at 3monhs on a daily when contaminants start to bond and not wash straight off

Im going to do a test between shield &, Glasur on the mini soon

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Bringing out the big guns! Keep us updated

Gonna have to keep the conditions tight to give a true reflection of their performances. No QD wipe downs, or gloss enhancing wax adding shampoos etc

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6
Bringing out the big guns! Keep us updated

Gonna have to keep the conditions tight to give a true reflection of their performances. No QD wipe downs, or gloss enhancing wax adding shampoos etc

Ivr just got enough shield left to do the test. Ill wax it and wont touch it until it completely dies. Ill do half bonnet & half roof

RB Clio 182
I still really like ag hd, it outlasts almost everything else ive used and does the job well imo.

Are other waxes worth 3x as much, naaah!

I still really like ag hd, it outlasts almost everything else ive used and does the job well imo.

Are other waxes worth 3x as much, naaah!

I'm not a fan, not so easily applied and leaves residue, certainly doesn't make my Evos paint pop. Black fire midnight sun is my current favourite, so easy you wouldn't believe it, £50 so not horrific

ITB BG 182
For that money I would have Swissvax Mirage or Sheild... Dont bother with Zymol carbon as its a 50/60 quid pot.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
There is nothing special feeling or particularly nice about HD wax. It performs its function fine but that's where it stops. That's not what the OP is looking for

Golf GT & A4 Avant
It does everything average, but excells in durability.

You can't compare it to something like Glasur or shield for feel, application and removal, ease of use, finish, water behaviour.

Clio
There is nothing special feeling or particularly nice about HD wax. It performs its function fine but that's where it stops. That's not what the OP is looking for

I think it does all the above really well?

agreed, it does cover most of the bases pretty well, but it just doesn't feel special. There are plenty of waxes well below the £120 mark that cover all of those bases, but there's just something about an expensive wax that just adds to the experience!

RB Clio 182
It does everything average, but excells in durability.

You can't compare it to something like Glasur or shield for feel, application and removal, ease of use, finish, water behaviour.

I bought this to try years ago, have you ever tried to remove it?

I couldnt get it off no matter how hard i tried!

simoniz-original-wax-hi.jpg