ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

what wheels for mk2 172

Hi all, just swapped over from the saxo sports website (had VTS) to the clio sport site, just thought Id say a hello to everyone,

Just got my clio, already looking for a mod, do 17s go on without any trouble and will it affect performance? I like those on the cup but can you get them in 17"?

Cheers folks

GR7

Shiny red R32

Hi there jarvisnigel and WELCOME :D

Best wheels for your car = OZ Super Tourismo = same as mine!

They look good on most cars.

You will soon get other members favourites.

S2000

Jarvis,

17" will kill your performance, dont bother.

Geordiepaul is the man to ask about the massive effect it made to his 172, it was so bad he changed back to 16"!

GR7

Shiny red R32

Then why will the new V6 have 18" wheels?

Mine are 17" and I cant tell the difference - other than they look better!

320d M Sport

and the Cup wheels are Speedline Turini, the 17s actually weigh the same as the 16s, think theyre about the same weight as the O-Z SuperLeggera (6.9KS each). How does it compare to your old car?

Astra 1.9cdti XP

Quote: Originally posted by GirlRacer on 26 April 2003

Then why will the new V6 have 18" wheels?

Mine are 17" and I cant tell the difference - other than they look better!

Girlracer it has nothing to do with wheel size, its tyres size. Anyway the MK2 V6 will be set up for the 18s gearing etc.

I could solve the problem Im having by fitting a different tyres but those tyres are 130 squid each!!!

If youve got a Mk2 Phase1 172 Exclusive, then DO NOT get rid of the wheels. Youve got the rarest Clio ever in your hands (apart from some of the bizarre colour options)! Only 172 ever made: less than each of the Williams 1, 2 & 3.

People like me will pay a premium for it in years to come.

You might as well keep them on and spend some of the money youve saved on a car cover and really good quality wax. ;)

Why on earth do you want to change these??!!:eek:

http://www.pointandsquirt.co.uk/images/lowvis06.jpg

http://www.pointandsquirt.co.uk/images/lowvis01.jpg

Elise/VX220/R26

17s will kill the performance. The engine has to do more work to turn the wheel one revalution so you get a decrease in acceleration and a pretty big drop in top end speed. This is my practical experience anyway. Ive taken my 17s off of my bravo Im trading in for the 172, currently running it on 15" steelies and it flys! on th3e 17s it was slow, unresponsive and genrally lumpy. The only benefit was that the 45 profile tyres give a firmer ride which I liked.

Personally I would go for a different set of 16s and slam it 60 mm. Thats what I want to do with mine funds permitting :)

EK9 + Mfactory gearing..

ya m8, 17s look the nuts but im gettn a spare set of 16s for mine now as performance isnt as good.

Astra 1.9cdti XP

The only reason 17s slow you down is if the overall diameter is bigger i.e if you fit 205/40R17 you should fit 215/35R17 and then performance wont suffer.

Ive said this many times now.