ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What will £3k get me in the Clio game these days?

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
So last year when I ended up buying a Ph1 172 (which someone on here bought and ruined), you couldn't get a nice 182 for anything much less than 4k.

by nice I mean belts done etc..

I've had a quick look on all the usual places, but I guess you guys would know best.

Have I got enough for a tidy 182 in a nice colour? Surely I must have with them being 8 years old now :S

Dan

330i. E30 Touring.
Yes.

£3k sees you a lovely 182 now.

Azrael was only asking £3.5k for his Trophy last week! Slight issue with the clocks, but just had cambelt and dampers rebuilt iirc. Bargain!

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
Average 182 but you will need more if your after a premium colour...

S

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
I'd like a RB or LY really, I've noticed LY seem to still be listed for nearly £5k, surely they aren't selling for that

A nice RB for £3k, can it be done? Hmm

work for BMW
Yes it can, I sold my RB for £3250 couple months ago thou it had little service history

Yes you can get an RB for £3k but you shall have to spend at least another £1k to get things done/changed

Titanium 182
i got my titanium 182 for 3K but have prob spent a good £400-£450 so far so or a good one probably £3500

clio 182 FF
Im new to the clio game but what coulour is rb?

I have just bought a blue (same as 172 cup) 182 with full history etc for 3k

Thanks
Dean

330i. E30 Touring.
Racing blue is RB.

Your 182 will be Arctic blue Dean. 172 Cup is Mondial blue. (;

Z4
Im new to the clio game but what coulour is rb?

I have just bought a blue (same as 172 cup) 182 with full history etc for 3k

Thanks
Dean

Racing blue:
clio182.jpg

Yes! Personally I'd buy a high mileage example with FSH. My old 182 is approaching 100k, along with many others on here, and still going strong. £3K would have given you lots of change from the sale of mine.

Again, given the choice, I'd go for a ph2 172 if you want the toys - Better exhaust choice and look (imo), better suspension options should you wish and so cheap they are laughable now. Also they will have taken more of a hit depreciation-wise already if you plan on doing lots of miles.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
RB is a lovely colour, I love it. Details so so well.

Just for an example.

My 172 with sub 50k miles FSH and belts done once 3 years ago with turnin's cup spoiler and fk coilovers is around 3k.

All down to mileage on it really.

172 Sport
Potential argument starter here, but I'm going to say it anyway.

Other than the obvious power improvements, what's so great about 182's?

I paid less than £900 for my immaculate, one owner from new, FSH 172 which was on 78K and had JUST had the belts done by a main dealer. With the change between my 172 and a 182 I could easily TB or RS2 or cam it. My 172 after a fastchip map is quicker than a 182 and has more torque, still for less than a grand.

I just don't see the attraction myself, why pay more than you have to for something? Unless I am missing something glaringly obvious?

sam55

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 FF
I got my RB last year for £3.5k with belts done and it's immaculate and was totally original. And from a dealer too. Only downside was it had done 80k miles (which didn't bother me) and the original exhaust was blowing but I wanted to change that anyway. Just gotta find them!

Potential argument starter here, but I'm going to say it anyway.

Other than the obvious power improvements, what's so great about 182's?

I paid less than £900 for my immaculate, one owner from new, FSH 172 which was on 78K and had JUST had the belts done by a main dealer. With the change between my 172 and a 182 I could easily TB or RS2 or cam it. My 172 after a fastchip map is quicker than a 182 and has more torque, still for less than a grand.

I just don't see the attraction myself, why pay more than you have to for something? Unless I am missing something glaringly obvious?

PH1 172??

May look good on the outside but whats on the inside or hidden??;)

how do you know it is quicker? because racecar

Last edited:
  172 Sport
PH1 172??

Nope, Ph2.

540766_10150865982265130_1011359207_n.jpg

549272_10150865980420130_1176941139_n.jpg

Nothing on the outside, or on the inside and nothing hidden. It's great. Engine wise it ALWAYS gets comments on how smooth and quiet it is, it revs cleanly to 7750 post remap and has never missed a beat. It was last serviced 6000 miles and 11 months ago, this was the oil when I checked it the day I bought it -

487083_10150856754105130_906591180_n.jpg

I've done 15K in it in 6 months, two trips to France, a trip to Scotland and 8 trips from Plymouth to London and back. Never skipped a beat.

I know it's quicker from side by side pulls against many members on here with mapped 182's, it's even quicker than Aaron182's stripped and mapped 182. Not to mention everybody who has driven it or been passenger in it has been thoroughly impressed with it's performance. It made 179bhp on Alan Jefferies RR last month.

So why buy a 182 for triple the price? If there is stuff like this out there to be had? Mine was hardly prized from a little old lady either, I won it on ebay for £840 with 11 bids.

Last edited:
Looks a very clean example:)

Why such a low price? ebay,retarded previous owner,age,accident??

Cup spoiler needed ;)

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i

Cup spoiler needed ;)

To be fair it's still an 11 year old Clio with 80k.

Hate to drop the big guns down loll

My mate just bought a Monaco Blue 172 similar age for similar money. I thought he was you then! (Greg?!)

Z4
Jardo, I hear what you're saying but tbh I think you got a steal there.
Its probably the least desirable colour too.

It depends what you want from a car, some people prefer a newer car, different colour choice on the 182, better speced, an apparent 10bhp to the newbies, often 172 owners prefer the showy exhaust of the 182.

I think the 172 is a performance bargain for what it offers personally.

Swings and roundabouts!

172 Sport

Cup spoiler needed ;)

Thanks.

Haven't got a clue, tbh it's what I thought it was worth. The lights were faded and it only had 6 weeks tax on it when I bought it and 9 months MOT, the ebay advert was factual and well written, the owner was a mid 40's Naval Officer who had owned the car from new, the service history is 90% original main dealer and the car had all sorts of stupid things done to it like having the exhaust hanger replaced by the main dealer, and manifold nuts being relaced due to corrosion etc. It is a well looked after car.

Personally I don't like the cup spoiler or any real modifications, I fitted the RARB because IMO it is a must on a FWD car. But otherwise I am perfectly happy with it as it is, it's so comfortable and capable on B roads that I can't think of any reason to change anything yet. I toyed with the idea of an RS2 but to be honest it's a perfect daily as is.

So yeah, as I say I cannot see the justification for the 3K minimum price tag of a 182. I appreciate and understand a newer car demands more money, but if you are going for an 8 year old car then what's the difference in going for an 11/10 year old car. They're still the same shape after all. :)

With my private plate and the timelessly modern looks of the Ph2 most people think my car is half it's age -

285763_10151173162570130_1862800836_n.jpg

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
Great post Jardo.. You've given me something to think about.

Yet I feel perhaps the only reason I want a 182, is because I can get one in Racing blue/Liquid yellow

Inferno 182 & Saxo
Isnt the safe rev limit on a standard engine 7600? otherwise you run the risk of rod bolt failure?

172 Sport
Isnt the safe rev limit on a standard engine 7600? otherwise you run the risk of rod bolt failure?

I believe so.

Not something I'm too worried about though, I change when the shift light comes on. The extra RPM that the map gives is more of a buffer from when the hard limiter comes in, IMO the car just gets going and then gets cut off as standard, forcing you to rush a gear change. The extra couple of hundred RPM makes a big difference when giving it the beans, although there is no real performance gains there it gives you the time for a clean and smooth change at the top end.

No problems buddy, I am not trying to say I have the "best car in the world ever" but IMO the 172 is justifiably cheaper than the 182 to make it a viable option if performance is one of your main attractions to a Clio.

If it wasn't for the big character, silly large engine and respectable performance I'd have never bothered buying my Clio regardless of price or age :)

120d M Sport
Jardo come on now, that's hardly the average going price for a 172, in fact that's quite exceptional.

I thought I got an ok deal on a ph1 at £1200 with 104k and needing belts doing lol.

There really is no rule of thumb for pricing on these, or so I have found, just keep hunting and something will crop up for what you have in mind to spend.

172 Sport
Jardo come on now, that's hardly the average going price for a 172, in fact that's quite exceptional.

I thought I got an ok deal on a ph1 at £1200 with 104k and needing belts doing lol.

There really is no rule of thumb for pricing on these, or so I have found, just keep hunting and something will crop up for what you have in mind to spend.

My rule of thumb would be the CAP system, I don't know if you are familiar with it? It's like glasses guide but electronic, and it monitors what vehicles sell for at auctions and retail on forcourts. It then averages the prices to give three tiers of vehicle quality. You input the mileage and select the model and year of the vehicle and it gives you the three trade in prices and a retail figure.

I work as a Sales exec for Mazda, and most dealers have a vehicle price monitoring system for valuing PX's. A "clean" 2001 Clio Sport with 80,000 miles had a trade in value of £630 and a retail value of £1095 at the time that I purchased my car.

The used car market it controlled by the buyers demand, if everybody was only willing to pay a grand for a certain car, the market would drop until the demanding price was met. Simple economics, we dictate our own car prices in a strange way. :)

Have a look on Pistonheads at the moment - http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/li...t=&px=&xsl=list&pagesize=15&filter=TP&o=q&pc=

I'd say I paid spot on the money for my car, similar cars but two years newer are only £4/500 dearer.

Inferno 182 & Saxo
Yeah I'd say you are were VERY lucky to get one for that price. Proves its possible though