ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What wishbones?

RichValver

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 16v/172 daily
Looking into replacing mine as there is something peculiar going on with my alignment to the n/s
(cannot get negative camber regardless of what I have tried so am suspecting wishbone /ball joint to be at fault)

What should I go for, gen replacements

Aftermarket ebay jobby at half the price

or polybush the spare set of wishbones I have laying around?

opinions appreciated

Looking into replacing mine as there is something peculiar going on with my alignment to the n/s
(cannot get negative camber regardless of what I have tried so am suspecting wishbone /ball joint to be at fault)

What should I go for, gen replacements

Aftermarket ebay jobby at half the price

or polybush the spare set of wishbones I have laying around?

opinions appreciated
If you use a pry bar to leaver against the sub frame on the original bushes, as they do in the mot then you will find the sub frame bends before you get any movement in the arms.
The disadvantage of powerflex bushes is they start to go oval over time/use causing play.

RichValver

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 16v/172 daily
How are you attempting to adjust the camber, bolts or slotted shocks?
And how are you measuring it?
I had a set of ktec coilovers on so they were slotted Plus I am using the camber bolts. Assumed it was to do with the coilovers and have since replaced with standard shocks. No change. Can get plenty of positive camber but not negative. Opposite side is fine. Using one of those magnetic gages (as reference to get both sides even)

RichValver

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 16v/172 daily
If you use a pry bar to leaver against the sub frame on the original bushes, as they do in the mot then you will find the sub frame bends before you get any movement in the arms.
The disadvantage of powerflex bushes is they start to go oval over time/use causing play.
other option would be to just replace bushes/balljoints with rubber as its a fair bit cheaper than buying new. I have a spare set of used wishbones I could fit them to also

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Renault sell the wishbones with bushes and ball joints for like £70 or £80 a side. Wouldn't even consider going pattern part for that cost tbh. It's not a fun job swapping them so you don't want to be doing it twice.

PH2 172
Renault sell the wishbones with bushes and ball joints for like £70 or £80 a side. Wouldn't even consider going pattern part for that cost tbh. It's not a fun job swapping them so you don't want to be doing it twice.
£170 a pair now.

PH2 172
I had a set of ktec coilovers on so they were slotted Plus I am using the camber bolts. Assumed it was to do with the coilovers and have since replaced with standard shocks. No change. Can get plenty of positive camber but not negative. Opposite side is fine. Using one of those magnetic gages (as reference to get both sides even)
So how do you know the car is perfectly level?
If it`s not, the readings from that Gunson guage are meaningless.

RichValver

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 16v/172 daily
So how do you know the car is perfectly level?
If it`s not, the readings from that Gunson guage are meaningless.
I'm not talking a small amount. It's degrees out and I have checked so many times now. It's 100% out just looking at the car you can see it

RichValver

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 16v/172 daily
yeah there's a set of pattern part wishbones on eBay for £70 hence why I was thinking of getting them instead.

Renault Clio
My comment was nothing to do with helping him, he's a c**t!

(Know him that's all mate lol)

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Genuine Renault ones in my view. Aftermarket ones are usually half the price because they're half the quality. I spoke to Mark Fish and he said poly bushes are a waste of time in his view. Just fit the Renault ones and forget.

PH2 172
What puzzles me is why this thread is not titled " I`ve got this horrendous knocking noise from my front suspension "?

RichValver

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 16v/172 daily
Have you badly smacked your wheel against a curb?

This is the thing, the sideskirt is cracked on that side, so have a feeling it had a bit of a bump before I got it. Perhaps wrong parts were then fitted. Can't see any damage to the subframe etc

PH2 172
What I`m getting at is that if you have so much play in the bushes/ball joint that it affects the camber angle, then I would expect it to cause a knocking noise when driving.
With regards to the spare wishbones you have, are they Cup with the ball joint angled to the front of the car, or standard straight Ph1/2 ?
As was indicated, changing the bushes is a pain, I`d just fit the LH as is and see if it cures the problem.
There is the possibility that the mounting holes in the subframe are elongated, so check for that at the same time.
The rear mounting holes on the subframe for the wishbone bolts are larger than the fronts, which is how they are manufactured.

RichValver

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 16v/172 daily
What I`m getting at is that if you have so much play in the bushes/ball joint that it affects the camber angle, then I would expect it to cause a knocking noise when driving.
With regards to the spare wishbones you have, are they Cup with the ball joint angled to the front of the car, or standard straight Ph1/2 ?
As was indicated, changing the bushes is a pain, I`d just fit the LH as is and see if it cures the problem.
There is the possibility that the mounting holes in the subframe are elongated, so check for that at the same time.
The rear mounting holes on the subframe for the wishbone bolts are larger than the fronts, which is how they are manufactured.
right, my concern is that its got wrong wishbone/ball joints which is why the camber may be out (too short perhapse) rather than there being so much play that its effecting the camber

PH2 172
right, my concern is that its got wrong wishbone/ball joints which is why the camber may be out (too short perhapse) rather than there being so much play that its effecting the camber
All you can really do is take it apart & compare with the spares you have.
With the exception of the re angled ball joint mounting holes, all 172/182`s have identical/interchangeable wishbones.

RB Clio 182
All you can really do is take it apart & compare with the spares you have.
With the exception of the re angled ball joint mounting holes, all 172/182`s have identical/interchangeable wishbones.
I thought 172 cups were slightly different to the rest?

PH2 172
I thought 172 cups were slightly different to the rest?
No, 172 Cup, 182 & 182 Cup & Trophy wishbones are all part numbers LH/RH 8200257956/7 .
All Ph2 172/182 have the front subframe 8200171678 in common.
The track on the 172 Cup is 20mm wider because of the ET38 rims.