ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

what would win 172 or 165bhp valver

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5

anyone know how close it would be between a 165bhp valver, stripped with 15s and a standard 172 in a straight line??

Nippy white cup

I reckon it would be close but the Valver should do it...better power to weight at the end of the day...

Chris

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5

how would i fair against a cup though? they much quicker than the regular 172?

Quote: Originally posted by JonnyK on 07 December 2004

how would i fair against a cup though? they much quicker than the regular 172?

difference between a cup and a 172 is negligible

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5

so the valver should come out on top ? great stuff!

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

so the valver should come out on top ? great stuff!
Yeah but whats been done to get 165bhp though?

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5

yeah, i heard that the alloy bonnet version mk1 172 is quicker somewhere

[Edited by JonnyK on 07 December 2004 at 11:37am]

VaVa

Quicker to 60, about the same to the ton. Gearing in Mk1 is gay.

I would expect a 165bhp valver to beat a standard Mk2 172.

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5

172 owners had better watch out in the near future!

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5

unless modifed of course..

which would be interesting to say the least :)

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

172 owners had better watch out in the near future!
You gettin a 165bhp valver then?

You gotta remember its not that easy to see 165. Whats been done?

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5

fully rebuilt 16v engine by GDI, which includes full engine balance, cams, angelworks headwork, angelworks modified exhaust manifold and SMT6 with cat-back exhaust and decat
all done by GDI and angelworks of course

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5

goes into my RT in march! well excited i tell thee!

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Ahh should be alright then!

Id get some nice brakes and maybe a Valver or willy track at the same time though.

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5

got valver brakes ready to go on in january as well as coilover suspension to sort out the handling

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5

better be! considering i am properly skint as a result!

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Quote: Originally posted by billy172 on 07 December 2004

check this website <A target=_blank href= "http://www.letstorquebhp.comwww.letstorquebhp.com click on fwd the phase 1 is faster than the phase 2 va va voom
Well i kept with a mk1 172 in my valver which is only lighly tuned. God knows what kinda power it puts out.

I was told by peps that it was possible too as the gearing is crap on the mk1.

Street Triple R

Quote: Originally posted by Tom16v on 07 December 2004

Quote: Originally posted by Chris nnic on 07 December 2004

The mk1s are actually quicker than the mk2s m8
Really??

Not from my experience

Yep its true, Mk1s are slightly quicker

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5

Quote: Originally posted by gunnergibson on 07 December 2004

whats was the ££ of the valver work?
touching £4grand! but most of that is for the conversion into my RT shell and most of all for the reconditioning process, i have to run it in, which will be a bugger, but it should last 100k

renaultsport clio 182

whats the differance in gearing then it cant be that much differance phase 1 6.6 phase 2 6.9 same top end 138 i think get my meaning fellas also phase 1 quicker to 100.

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

£4k wow! should be good though when its all done, and if that includes the conversion!

i had my old 1.8 16v, balanced, lightened, headwork, cams, fully rebuilt, no chip though, that cost me about £2k. it made 147bhp on a rolling road just after it was run in which was reading low for everyone, and 169bhp on another rolling road 2 months later so i would guestimate around 150-160 in reality, but it did need the cams timing and mapping.

was about on par with a mk2 172 from experiance! the 2.0 is a different story though, the torque makes all the difference! it kicks arse! its got less mods than the 1.8 and would wipe the floor with it!

dont you fancy a 2.0 lump with cams, headwork and chip?

the beast is having full TB conversion, booked in early next year, so if u aint got it done then keep an eye out for a smt6 and a few other parts! the willy head, cams, etc are all going in as exchange though!

Golf R32 & 172 CUP

that sites figures are not correct!the vts/106 gti figures are incorect as is the ibiza cupra, as is the vr6 golf. unless of course these are non factory figures !!??

all cars are diffent so dont take these as gospal!!

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5

i would get a 2.0 , but being 19 with 1 year ncb, its a tad expensive to insure!

renaultsport clio 182

probably right pj non factory figures, thought it was good with all the reno range there though.

ive only just turned 20 and had the 2.0 in when i was 19, havent told the insurance company though. GDI do good work, mine should top 180bhp (touch wood) when the SMT 6 goes in. I only think ive spent £3250 in total.

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5

just turned 19 and have just put myself down for the 2.0 now intstead of the 1.8, with cams, smt6, awt head , zorst and decat and awt manifold work, hats off to adams_16v for converting me!

the insurance is only 63 quid more!

gotta be done really!

just turned 19 and have just put myself down for the 2.0 now intstead of the 1.8, with cams, smt6, awt head , zorst and decat and awt manifold work, hats off to adams_16v for converting me!

the insurance is only 63 quid more!

gotta be done really!
no point telling the insurance, unless you crash and they take the bottom end apart they would never be able to tell the difference. thats why its such a good conversion.

406 passion wagon..

Quote: Originally posted by PJVTS on 07 December 2004

that sites figures are not correct!the vts/106 gti figures are incorect as is the ibiza cupra, as is the vr6 golf. unless of course these are non factory figures !!??

all cars are diffent so dont take these as gospal!!
The figures are theoretical times, calculated using just BHP, Weight and drive. Its only a rough guide, but shows wieght is everything!

Karl.

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

Quote: Originally posted by Tom16v on 07 December 2004

Quote: Originally posted by billy172 on 07 December 2004

check this website <A target=_blank href= "http://www.letstorquebhp.comwww.letstorquebhp.com click on fwd the phase 1 is faster than the phase 2 va va voom
Well i kept with a mk1 172 in my valver which is only lighly tuned. God knows what kinda power it puts out.

I was told by peps that it was possible too as the gearing is crap on the mk1.

Only 5th is gay...all the rest are quite good actually