ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What would you do in my shoes - Engine Modifications

Clio 200 Cup
So I've got a Clio 182 Engined Vehicle running AT Power Throttle Bodies & OMEX 600 ECU with straight through exhaust system (decat) The purpose of the vehicle is to be used in prod or mod prod class in hillclimbs & the occasional road use (Road legal). Its fully stripped and just about to have a Full Cage welded in, will be running BC Racing Coilovers & standard 182 brakes with CL pads, so those area's are covered. The cams seem to be the restricting component here, and would be nice to get rid of the dephaser and a nice new belt on there.

Question is what cams would give the best performance on a standard head (or little modifications to head) as the Cat cams 428's seem a little soft for my application,

Many thanks

Clio 200 Cup
I do like the 421's but how do they perform on verniers rather than vvt.

Long run i would want to go down the uprated valve springs & caps route with lairy cams but for the first map i think 421's will suffice

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
421's i have a pair going into my PH1.

I think if you want to go for anything more then piston mods have to be done. 421's with the vvt will be fine Mick @ diamond motors runs them in his car.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
421s or pipers are both a good option.

Or just bite the bullet and get some new pistons and go to a 422, which is what I would do if in your shoes.

Clio 200 Cup
Chip: that is the long term plan but in the meantime i think piper 270's would be a good option

I'd like to remove the Dephaser as don't know the condition of it and for reliability adjustable verniers should be the better option???

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
For just a hillclimb car then fixed pulleys probably make sense as not like you care about a lumpy idle or idle emissions etc.

Clio 200 Cup
For just a hillclimb car then fixed pulleys probably make sense as not like you care about a lumpy idle or idle emissions etc.

Exactly, and lumpy idle is quite nice :D . Sourcing these, I see Ph1tom has listed the link for Pipers at their cheapest £312 iirc. what brand / make and prices are out there for Verniers, i see piper don't do any.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Given that its a floating pulley anyway, you can probably just use an exhaust pulley? although it will then mean timing it in at the cam end not on verniers, but thats fine if you just want to set it up once to standard timing and leave it.

failing that, catcams do them as a vernier

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Just a pain to time them up on non VVT.

Tbh buy a new dephaser and it'll last the time that your hillclimbing it. IME they suffer more from town driving.

Or just carry on with the one he has on the pipers if he is planning on replacing the engine relatively soon with a forged one anyway.

That is what I would do TBH

330i. E30 Touring.
I'd save the money and put it towards tyres & fuel.

Engine mods on a Clio unless going BIG money are pointless.