ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What would you do

Honda Civic Type R GT

If you were driving down a dual carrageway, overtaking a Fiesta 1.whatever, doin 60 in a 50 zone. When an 87 Astra GTE comes tearing up your arse at around 75 ?

Just curious!

Regards,

Tommy.

CTR EK9 turbo

2.0 litre astra gtes are pretty quick. Do a quick blast of 3rd gear and slot back into left lane and let him go by?

mk2 172

he he, id take him out:), me and rhys have just been out playing in the pitch black in the peak district at over the tonne lol, all in the name of science

Honda Civic Type R GT

Sorry, maybe I was a little unclear, I wold have let him go if I could have pulled over. I would not have raced him as Im running the new car in. Also I dont think that I should be forced into speeding just to get out of his way!

Tommy.

ExigeV6|Q5|DS3|Fiat

Quote: Originally posted by Tommy on 22 March 2003

In my opinion a 172 would roast an Astra GTE.

Tommy.
An astra GTE 16v is a very fast car for what it is! Will do 96mph in 3rd gear and go on to 140mph no problems. Seeing my personal experience with 172s there is no way in hell a 172 would roast a Astra gte 16v on the straight.

Corning on the twisties is a different story, most hot hatches will benefit here.

clio 20v

dont kno about round your way but where i live the astra gte is THE car to have for the local bad boys together with e30 bmws, and there all fuked more rust than metal rattley engines and smokescreens out the back

you occasionally see a nice 1 but otherwise most are knacked ive not seen a good one for ages

adi

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

I once raced a 2.0 16v GTE MK2 and there was not a lot in it. And it was on the motorway where i would have thought the Astra would have had the advantage.

Quote: Originally posted by aaronc on 22 March 2003

Quote: Originally posted by Tommy on 22 March 2003
Seeing my personal experience with 172s there is no way in hell a 172 would roast a Astra gte 16v on the straight.
Aaronc let it go wont you! Dont make me and Teady drive all the way down south to a meet just to hammer your poor little 16 valver. I had a wee race with a Astra SRi Turbo (new style one) and I had slight edge on him on the straight, do you think you can go toe to toe with a 190-200 HP turbo Astra and beat it? :D

Revels Mum & Sister

Why dont you and Teddy race an Astra GTE then???? They are quicker than you think. The non shagged ones.

Sure AaronC would be up for a race!!!

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

I have raced an Astra GTE 2.0 in my old pug 205 1.6 GTi, they are not as fast as I thought.

Couldnt pull away from me till about 120, then it just crept infront of me moving away at a snails pace. I couldnt really go any faster as that was pretty much the limit of the car.

i would slow down and make the gimp wait... then probably toast him in 3rd then slow down again then toast him once again then slow down then....

Quote: Originally posted by Liquid_ICE on 23 March 2003

Why dont you and Teddy race an Astra GTE then???? They are quicker than you think. The non shagged ones.

Sure AaronC would be up for a race!!!
Hopefully there will be one at Crail at the start of April and we will see, if its standard I cant see it winning.

Never said I would hammer one did I? You need lots of HP to hammer a car, when i say beat im talking about 3-4 car lengths.