ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

whats it cost to fill a 172/182?

Clio 200
i just filled my tank from an indicated empty 5 minutes ago £41 and depends how you drive it - might want to search loads a threads on this

535d / t5 caravelle
main reason i ask is i'm just wondering if its actually worth me having a diesel, i've got a golf gt tdi as a daily driver, as much as its a lovely car, it costs £55-£60 to fill up and i'm getting 470 miles to a tank, dont think its really worth it for the miles i do, debating selling it and having 5-6k to splash out on something with a it more about it ( probably not a clio )

so if you where to use £55-60 quids worth of juice, how many mile would you be seeing?

535d / t5 caravelle
so really theres no benefit for running an oil burner these days for fuel consumption anyway, trust me to buy at the right time :rolleyes:

Nawt!!!Off road Quad!
well i put £40 in couple of weeks ago and got 3/4 of a tank ...twas 1.28 a ltr SUPER lol

Racing blue 182
mine was on empty the other day, and id done about 15miles on the empty tank and i just managed to squeeze 36quid in

535d / t5 caravelle
For £48 i did 320, and for £10 i can do around 80miles.

So £68 would see around 480 ish for me.

a tenner seems to be getting 77 miles for me, i've been thinking my old williams wasn't much more expensive from what i can remember

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo
I get 75 miles to a tenner out of my tank of a prelude so I think your golf is broke.... or you drive like a loon Bill!

DCi
I stick around £40 in and I can get varying amount of miles depending on what I am doing at that time, but an average tank lasts about 300-320 for me

Clio 200
i got rid of my diesel for the clio - couldnt justify the extra pennies for diesel as i didnt do the miles

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
The cost to fill its going to be whatever fuel prices are doing at the time, its an 11 gallon tank so its about 55 litres.

I never undertand why everyone (if its viable) fills up with v-power (98 ron) as the difference between the two is normally between 6-11p.

It would cost £51.90 to fill with unleaded (@92.9) where as it would cost you £56.04 (@101.9) to will with V-power or any other 98 Ron.

your talking £5 of a difference, not much in the way of hot hatch owner ship tbh!

Last edited:
  03 RS clio 172 flameR
my mpg when not using the motorway is usually 26! i think that means i press that pedal down on the right a tad too much

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
My trip computer always reads 38 as the driving I do is all A road/ M-way with very few stop and starts. I'm not sure how accurate that actually is I haven't done a complete fill on it yet and worked it out for myself.

On my Williams I used to get between 32 and 39mpg. 32 was thrashing it all the time and 39 was never driving hard.

My wifes 1.2 punto does about 50 to the gallon and thats obviously v good but when you consider that having a 1.2 to a 2.0 only has a 10 mpg swing if you are not doing huge miles the cost saving can be fairly small.

With fuel prices coming down though the differential must be in your favour though.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
The cost to fill its going to be whatever fuel prices are doing at the time, its an 11 gallon tank so its about 55 litres.

I never undertand why everyone (if its viable) fills up with v-power (98 ron) as the difference between the two is normally between 6-11p.

It would cost £51.90 to fill with unleaded (@92.9) where as it would cost you £56.04 (@101.9) to will with V-power or any other 98 Ron.

your talking £5 of a difference, not much in the way of hot hatch owner ship tbh!

The difference is always 7p in the UK, fixed price increase over normal UL

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Surely a diesel is always cheaper to run even if you do less miles:S

182/Bora V5/S1 RS Turbo
i seem to get more than everyone else in mpg. mine does about 37mpg around town and about 45mpg on the motorway steady away. now fuel is cheaper it makes me a bit happier about paying for that ridiculously expensive tax disc for such a wee car!

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
^^^ you actually worked it out or just going by the computer?

182/Bora V5/S1 RS Turbo
^^^ you actually worked it out or just going by the computer?

computer mainly but a tenner does me monday to friday around town about 15 miles a day. i can get computer up to 48mpg on monday morn m25 at around 50mph

Megane R26
I'm debating between a late 182 or a Seat Ibiza Cupra TDi - I do 66 miles a day round trip (all motorway), but given the higher initial purchase price of the Ibiza, do you think it's worth me getting one?

Can I really see 40 MPG from a 182 on the motorway?

182/Bora V5/S1 RS Turbo
I'm debating between a late 182 or a Seat Ibiza Cupra TDi - I do 66 miles a day round trip (all motorway), but given the higher initial purchase price of the Ibiza, do you think it's worth me getting one?

easy! once you get over givin it beans it'll do 40 mpg no prob. as for the seat,i had a 150bhp golf gttdi that was chipped. once the chip was on i was gettin ridiculous mpg when driven steady in 6th. between maidstone and ashford i averaged 72mpg! what an mpg geek!!

200bhp 172 cup
to be honest i never bother looking at the mpg or worrying about cost of fuel with this car if i did then id be driving a diesel or a toyota privia

535d / t5 caravelle
must mention, my car journeys, are generally 7 mile trips to and from work on b roads, so i suppose the car doesn't get chance to give its full potential, but i expected better tbh, no doubt on a long run, it would improve

ps. its on 18 inch rims so this wont help

Last edited:
  535d / t5 caravelle
easy! once you get over givin it beans it'll do 40 mpg no prob. as for the seat,i had a 150bhp golf gttdi that was chipped. once the chip was on i was gettin ridiculous mpg when driven steady in 6th. between maidstone and ashford i averaged 72mpg! what an mpg geek!!

was that in neutral down a big hill?

535d / t5 caravelle
I get 75 miles to a tenner out of my tank of a prelude so I think your golf is broke.... or you drive like a loon Bill!

it aint broke mate, and i dont drive it like a loon ( thats what the pugs for ;) )
very rarely get it to 2.5k revs, generally change at 2.1 ish lol, and then if it goes above that its in top gear, or if i'm smoking past some old t**t!

VW Caddy Van
I got from Bristol to my house on one tank at 371 miles, done 44.5mpg all the way up. I had about £10 of fuel left tho before i topped up

It cost me £40 to fill

E87 118d M Sport
and how the f**k do you multiple quote?

next to the quote button is a little button (with quotation marks and a + sign). click that on all of the posts you want to quote, then click 'post reply' and they will come up in the order you clicked the little buttons.

then slot your comments in. job done!

Last edited:
  535d / t5 caravelle
next to the quote button is a little button. click that on all of the posts you want to quote, then click 'post reply' and they will come up in the order you clicked the little buttons.

then slot your comments in. job done!

cheers mate, i thought it was a lot more tecnical than that lol

ph1 172

Work out how long it will take before you save money in the diesel...

15,000 miles
95p petrol
107p diesel

petrol - 35mpg
15,000/35 * 4.5 * 0.95 = £1832

diesel - 50mpg
15,000/50 * 4.5 * 1.07 = £1444

So you would save about £400 per year on fuel

so if the diesel was £1600 more, it would take you 4 years before you'd saved money buying a diesel.

So not really worth it!

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
just did 80.4 miles on 11.54L of fuel, costing £10.84 which is 31.67MPG