ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

whats quicker v6 or 182

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Quote: Originally posted by Lee on 04 August 2005

As I said in a previous post. Only one V6 has been quicker than me on track and that was driven by someone who does track days for a living.

The V requires a much better driver to be driven fast than a 182 does.

If you like I can post links to numerous videos of me on track days catching and passing Vs. Let me know if you want links to the vids.

I find I can brake later, corner faster and carry more speed out of the turn. Youll see on one of the vids how I pull out to overtake a V out of a corner which I took better, then after a few yards the power becomes and issue and he edges away, if it werent a track day (no overtaking) Id not have much trouble either out braking or cornering one.

This is from personal experience, Im just telling you the way its happened to me.

The V6 is all about the experience to me, its a very special car which is fantastic to drive, it doesnt matter if the 182 is quicker or slower. The V is amazing. It just wouldnt suit the way I like to drive.

In reference to your question in the other thread Craig, Ive found on the road the Mk2 V6 is a lot harder to keep up with on the track. The torque it has really shows then.

Ditto, but my driving style isnt the same as lees.

clio v6

i hill climb and sprint a 5 turbo 1 220 bhp. this would rag any 172/182 over 1/4 mile...it would out handle any clio...and its 23 years old...

the vee would leave any 172/182 between 90 and 140 mph without a doubt...i have owned/driven both.

the 182 of omars beet me by 0.6 of a second around the airfield...which was tight and twisty...no willy or valver got within 3 seconds of us.

i then drove omars 182 and got within 1 second of him...without any experience of driving his car.. i found it was so easy...the vee takes care and pushing a little bit more each time....

clio v6

Oh and just to add....J.Clarkson did not even like the 182...let alone have one in his top ten garage....but hey...what does he know..;)

Nippy white cup

Although there are obvious advantages for a V6 on an open track, wouldnt the low down torque be useful on a tight track? I know it wont be as nimble but with the understeer of the 182 I would imagine it should pull pretty well out of the corners

Chris

Renault Laguna Coupe

The V6 isnt really at home on short twisty tracks - Mine goes a lot better at Oulton Park or Donington than it does at Brands Indy for instance.

All the comments about the Vee being difficult to drive quickly are accurate in my opinion. It took me at least 4 trackdays before I could lap faster than I could in my old 172. Oulton Park last month was the first event where I didnt get passed by anything else all day.

You have to invest a lot of time and money to learn to get the best out of a V6, but then anyone reading this forum would know that before buying one.

Lee

BMW M2C

Quote: Originally posted by clarkiev6 on 04 August 2005
well said mike...i think that should end this thread now...

It should have ended with my comments seeing as I was right all along. ;)

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member

As I said in a previous post. Only one V6 has been quicker than me on track and that was driven by someone who does track days for a living. ;)

If you like I can post links to numerous videos of me on track days catching and passing Vs. Let me know if you want links to the vids.

I find I can brake later, corner faster and carry more speed out of the turn. Youll see on one of the vids how I pull out to overtake a V out of a corner which I took better, then after a few yards the power becomes and issue and he edges away, if it werent a track day (no overtaking) Id not have much trouble either out braking or cornering one.

This is from personal experience, Im just telling you the way its happened to me.

The V6 is all about the experience to me, its a very special car which is fantastic to drive, it doesnt matter if the 182 is quicker or slower. The V is amazing. It just wouldnt suit the way I like to drive.

In reference to your question in the other thread Craig, Ive found on the road the Mk2 V6 is a lot harder to keep up with on the track. The torque it has really shows then.
Ill have those links, pls Lee..... :cool:

D.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member

I think for me, the Vee is something to aspire too. Financial limits aside, I think Ive approached it the correct way. The Punto GT I had before was truly, truly awful at handling - in fact, it was abysmal. The 182 was a revelation in terms on compusure and telling you what it the black stuff was like beneath it.

Dont get me wrong, if I had V6 money in my pocket before ordering the 182, I would have gone for that - but I think something like the 182 prepares you for the next stage. The fact that one model of Clio compared to the other maybe faster/slower to me is completely irrelevant. Its the drive that I want - the grin on my face when everything comes together. The noise, the gearchanges, the smooth cornering, etc...

If anything, the 182 does that too well. I want something that will test me as a driver, but not too much that I wrap the thing around the next tree. The V6 to me, is a perfect progression from the 182.

So all you Vee owners - look after the buggers for when they reach the hand-me-down price bracket! ;)

D.

MERCEDES CLS AMG

Quote: Originally posted by meggerman on 04 August 2005

shouldnt have to pump 100 shot of NOS in a £27,000 car just to get some decent speeds.

obviously everyone would have a Vee it looks really nice and sounds really nice. its also something to impress the girls + your mates. although in the vee you can only take one person anywhere.

lol - you have read my mind perfectly

dk

911 GTS Cab

As I said in a previous post. Only one V6 has been quicker than me on track and that was driven by someone who does track days for a living. ;)

the man talks sense.

dk

911 GTS Cab

Quote: Originally posted by clarkiev6 on 04 August 2005

Oh and just to add....J.Clarkson did not even like the 182...let alone have one in his top ten garage....but hey...what does he know..;)
actually he did like the 182, he said the interior and seating position were poor but the handling and fun of the car more than made up for it.

The 182 is positioned on the cool wall at the very right of cool nearly overlapping the line for sub-zero so I think thats pretty good!

He didnt have it in his top 10 cars as with a v6 in there he wouldnt need the 182, 2 clios in there would be mad.

Lee

BMW M2C

Just noticed a typo in what I said.

Corrected: In reference to your question in the other thread Craig, Ive found on the road the Mk2 V6 is a lot harder to keep up with than it is on the track. The torque it has really shows then.

For the same reason theyve discontinued the 182 perhaps?? Old shape cars dont sell when theyre replacement comes out. Golf estate being a case in point.

clio v6

and....... like previous they are stopping the 182 as well...

and...mine dont look like a 1.2 from the front either....:)

i dont think we will ever agree on this.......

lets face it....V6s RULE OK!!!!

[Edited by clarkiev6 on 04 August 2005 at 1:09pm]

[Edited by clarkiev6 on 04 August 2005 at 1:10pm]

Quote: Originally posted by Chris nnic on 04 August 2005

Lol well this hasnt been done before! :p

Chris

Loads and loads of times I seem to remember, and this Time Im keeping well out of it.....;)

Simon.

Lee

BMW M2C

Quote: Originally posted by SimonV6 on 04 August 2005
Quote: Originally posted by Chris nnic on 04 August 2005Lol well this hasnt been done before! :pChris Loads and loads of times I seem to remember, and this Time Im keeping well out of it.....;) Simon.[/QUOTE]

I give you ten minutes before you crack and join in. ;) Even though weve pretty much tied it up now.

Quote: Originally posted by Chris nnic on 04 August 2005

Lol well this hasnt been done before! :p

Chris

Loads and loads of times I seem to remember, and this Time Im keeping well out of it.....;)

Simon.

I give you ten minutes before you crack and join in. ;) Even though weve pretty much tied it up now.

You lose....lol;)

Simon. :)

MKIII 138

Quote: Originally posted by geordieclio on 04 August 2005

i am a vee man myself would have one over a 182 meg 225 any day if i could afford one
most people would but that wasnt the question. which is faster thats the question.

its been answered as the 182 on track

presumably a V6 in a straight line (most encounters) and perhaps on smooth longer bends where directional change isnt required.

on b roads i imagine the 182 would turn faster and could carry more speed. after all if you over do it on a b road the 182 tells you the limits and are controllable the Vee doesnt without extreme care so in reality the 182 is faster for most but that wont stop people being overtooken by V6s n a bypass or motoway in their 182s and then claiming there faster just due to straight line speeds.

lets face it a Trophy can whip a boxster s around a track apparently or exact same times but in a straight line it will pull, so in most circumstances the boxster, impreza, bmw etc.. are gonna seem a lot faster.

320d M Sport

Quote: Originally posted by j3ned on 04 August 2005

Still rubbish - there was a mk2 V6 255 at the pod last week getting 15.3 @ 97 mph and williams clios were getting 14.8,s ??

I ran a V6 with a re-mapped ECU and a 100 bhp Nitrous set up with a digimax progressive controller - i was getting 13.6,s at 107 with that set up. Mehdi in his williams with T/Bs was getting 13.4s with no NOS !! Im an experienced quarter miler and i could not do anything with the V6.........so i sold it and made a faster car.....the obvious choice was a 172 cup transplant in a 1.2 shell. The power to weight ratio is a lot better and so is the handling - it cost me £2500 to do and with my NOS kit bolted on i was getting the same times as my V6........for £23k less
yea, i raced u off NOS in ur V6, u ran 14.6, i did a 14.8 or 7.

u did have better traction off line tho

V6 0-60 faster

V6 0-100 faster

V6 Top speed faster.

V6 with Stig on track (taking off 4 seconds due to wet track) faster

182, Great for easier handling in the hands of a novice.

Damn I did say I wouldnt join this damn thread either, well that my bit done...

Simon.

MERCEDES CLS AMG

A good cup will outpace a V6 on and off the track - no argument .........and you V6 owners know it.

Lee

BMW M2C

A good cup will outpace a V6 on and off the track - no argument .........and you V6 owners know it.

Thats obviously why they get so touchy. They should just admit they prefer looks over performance. ;) :p

MKIII 138

V6 0-60 faster

V6 0-100 faster

V6 Top speed faster.

Simon.
now hang on m8, on the last topgear an F1 driver (cant remember the name of the guy) said it was no way 4 seconds off in the wet even in the liana they use. he didnt say what it would be but clarkson was arguing about it with him and he was adamant its more like 2 secs max in the wet if that.

so what time did the V6 get ? - 2 secs

what time did hte 182 get

can someone work it out as i dont have the track times.

MKIII 138

also the cup would be faster than a 182 most likley on a track, and the trophy (yet to be tested) faster still.

there are soooo many cars that have better power figures but cant cut it on cornering and braking (182 brakes better than V6) i.e which would win around a track a lotus elise or a american muscle car with a v8 and 300+ hp 300 lbft + of course it would be the elise.

the old bmw motto "power is nothing without control"

btw grip isnt control. Control is when grip is exceded.

Nippy white cup

V6 0-60 faster

V6 0-100 faster

V6 Top speed faster.

Simon.
Ahh so basically if you arent a racing driver the V6 will be slower..... (stirs the pot!) ;)

Chris

MERCEDES CLS AMG

Yes that is correct - a good cup will outpace a V6 on and off the track - no argument.........and you V6 owners know it.

dk

911 GTS Cab

So is that it then, we have come to a conclusion, the 182 is faster than the V6 unless it is a traffic light GP (which is obviously illegal anyway) so the 182 wins especially on track (unless JT is driving that is as he is a nutter and doesnt have to pay for his car anyway!)

Yey!!!:p

[Edited by dave182 on 04 August 2005 at 3:33pm]

But hang on, given the choice I would choose to drive around in the V6 every day of the week!

MERCEDES CLS AMG

Yes that is correct - a good cup will outpace a V6 on and off the track - no argument.........and you V6 owners know it.

The above statement is pretty accurate - a good cup will outpace a V6 on and off the track - no argument.........and you V6 owners know it

dk

911 GTS Cab

The above statement is pretty accurate - a good cup will outpace a V6 on and off the track - no argument.........and you V6 owners know it
stop spamming you!