ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Whats the 197's top speed?

M140i/Orange 182
thats pants, compared to the 182.

although thinking about it, no1 actually does this sort of speeds daily

sw1

Clio 172
On my test drive of the 197 it felt more stable at high speeds. The 2 172's I have had get very light and bouncy around 90 onward.

Not the sort of car you would like to have the impact in at high speeds :clown:

In comparison the Golf MK V Gti felt like a tank at high end, awesome but I know it's a different class of car.

Lux'd Glacier White R26
Maybe the 197 speedo just give a more accurate indication of speed, rather than the 172/182's! 140mph indicated is usually a lot less in GPS terms.

Tyson.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
I've had 130mph on gps on private road in my 172 so they go faster than the 197 on the dials.

sw1

Clio 172
130 in a clio 172, your a brave man you should get a medal for that one.

I've taken mine too around 110 and didn't feel save at all so backed down. Maybe I'm just a wossy :rasp: , I've always driven German cars until I got my little temp 172. Apart from that great little fun go kart.

Not many cars that can top it for fun round country lanes, just wish the seating position was better

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
i think it depends on the road surface, on some roads my car over 90 can get chucked around a lot and feel like more than a handful, the 130mph run was on a particularly smooth stretch and the car felt comfortable at that speed.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
sw1 said:
I've taken mine too around 110 and didn't feel save at all so backed down.

I've taken my lil 1.4 to 110 many times and its felt pretty safe....make sure tyres are in good nick before tho jus to be safe.

I'm not a hooligan at those speeds but am I taking too many chances for my car?

Lux'd Glacier White R26
^^ Instant ban at those speeds so yes you're taking chances. It won't do the car must harm however.

Tyson.

sw1

Clio 172
I never drive at them speeds usually , I just wanted to test it once to see what it had in it on an empty road. My normal day involves a 40 - 70 slog down the M4

It may upset some people that are hardcore clio fans but I just don't think the car is too safe at them speeds!!! very bouncy, It's great for what it is, I always speak highly of it when some of the sales guys I work with mock the fact I have a clio.

The 197 did fill more stable at around 90 but then it's a lot bigger and has them nice fat wheels o the back.

Most I've ever gone up to in a car was 140 in a new BMW 325ci sport convertible I had around 3 years ago, that was a very very solid car at that speed and the downforce seemed to increase.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Tyson-182 said:
^^ Instant ban at those speeds so yes you're taking chances. It won't do the car must harm however.

Tyson.

Oh yh i know that lol Ment is it safe in the car? Don't go that fast much cos I'm normally just on B roads.

Sw1: Does it really feel that bad? Mine really never felt like it was going anywhere....only thing that scares me are my tyres, budget goodyear and michelin, rated fine for the speed but still...

Nissan 350Z
My 182 feels perfectly safe at over a ton.

Who cares about top speeds?

And yes a Golf GTI may feel more stable / whatever at those speeds, but as Evo said, you have to go into deep license losing territory to have fun in the same way as you could at 80 in smaller cars.

Top speed doens't matter getting up to it does.

People who have managed to hit the limiter on there 172/182 etc don't stay there for long even in Germany

Nissan 350Z
At the end of the day, if all you want is high top speed on the cheap, you might as well just buy a Mk1 Octavia vRS and get it remapped by Jabba. Pre remap they hit 146 and after it over 155 geniune MPH.

Clios are not designed to be mile munchers.

1998 BMW e46 323i
have done 130 mph for about 30 miles twice, was stable, more so than at 95. car seemed to have more in it too. i felt like a tool tho', anti-social and if a blow out did happen, you're not gonna walk away from it. Watching the petrol gauge drop, did about 19mpg.

FF 182
i did 126 in my 182 in germany in the summer according to gps.
felt ok on a decent quality surface.