ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Whats the point of the aluminium casting..?

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Hi there,

Just wondering after servicing my 172 ff today. Does anyone know whats the point of the aluminium casting that covers the injector rail?

Seems to do bugger all. but just gets in the way.

Heat soak..? Or just a bit of protection for the cheap o plastic fuel rail?

Sorry i have no pic's. But if you have ever changed your oil filter you'll know what i'm talking about.

Any Ideas anyone.

Teds

Last edited:
  M235i / 172
Id say its used to help diffuse heat from the intake, its got a big surface area.

EDIT: you can remove it easly you know...

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Yep..! I know it comes off. You have to take it off to get to the oil filter unless you have the arms of a 2year old. lol.

But protection it could be. If for protection i might just replace it with a proper fuel rail and throw it in the bin with all the other useless stuff i've taken off the thing.

Thanks

BMW M135i
As everyone says it to protect the plastic fuel rail, it'll take plenty of compressive load as said. I'd leave it on, only really gets in the way when changing the oil filter and its easy removed.

PH2 172
Yep..! I know it comes off. You have to take it off to get to the oil filter unless you have the arms of a 2year old. lol.

But protection it could be. If for protection i might just replace it with a proper fuel rail and throw it in the bin with all the other useless stuff i've taken off the thing.

Thanks

My dad didnt take it of when he done my filter

ITB'd MK1

Thanks

My dad didnt take it of when he done my filter

dont need to, but for 2 nuts it saves quite a lot of skin

182 cup
If you’ve smashed your fuel rail in an accident then I’d say the fuel rail is the least of your worries.

Ph1
Going by the few 172 / 182's iv seen front end mashed the fuel rail area seems to escape damage.
Never seen one pole axed tho.

Do Cup's have the protective cover on ??