ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Whats up with this? Laptop Query

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
My Acer laptop charger decided to give up the ghost a few weeks ago. The cable running from the charger block to the laptop became frayed and loose, so it was difficult to charge the laptop and find the right position for it to all work.

So, I bought a universal charger, with different adapter fittings and voltage fuses. The laptop has a Lithium battery, and says 19v 4.74A so I used the 19v fuse.

Anyway, the laptop charged up fully in about 4 seconds (which I found odd...) but then without the charger in it was zapped in around 10 minutes flat. Since then, all the charger does is holds the minimum charge on the laptop. If no charger is plugged in, the laptop wont switch on. Simple. Plug it in, and the light comes on and I can load it up. But like I said, its just holding the charge, its not actually charging anything up. So if I pull the plug, or move the laptop and it interferes with the cable, -zap- laptop knocked off. Frustrating as hell.

I bought a proper Acer charger from ebay the other day, which came yesterday. Its a Lite-On or one of them good ones, same fuse and amp rating as the laptop. Infact, identical to the original. Anyway, its doing the same thing. The laptop will not charge, just holds that 0% charge with the cable in. As soon as its moved, it goes off.

Long story short - charger in > works > charger out > doesnt work. Summary - charger holds charge > doesnt actually charge battery.

Wuds up wid dat?

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Yeah I think that could be the case. I've only had it a short time though. Ebay beckons.

Golf gti ed30+bmw m3
yep basically you've fried the battery by using a charger not intended that use..