ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Whats with people 'Losing' Service history

MattRS182

ClioSport Club Member
  #3 PH2 172 Flamer
Found a few clios that tick the boxes
- Cup pack
- Close to standard
- Belts due (rather get them down myself by Mick @ Diamond)
- Mileage less than 100k

Yet nearly all of them have 'Lost' all previous history, Yet still asking for £2,500-£3,000

Clio 1*2 with no history and belts due SURELY isn't worth more than £1,500?

Thanks

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Hardly anyone loses service history, it just never existed.
Even if your me badly organised surely you out everything in that kitchen drawer and then drag it out when you need it?

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
They're old cars now so sub-100k is very low mileage, I'd have to share the suspicion that the history has gone missing for a reason. That said, I think it just depends, do you like cars or are they "just a thing".

My wife's parents never get the book stamped or keep invoices for any work, it just never occurs to them. They had a lovely old Merc S class with the V12 engine, it had been looked after but no documentation. Obviously when they came to move it on it was worth way less than if they'd just kept the documentation up together.

At that end of the market I tend to buy on condition, history is nice to have but not the be all and end all especially if you're going to do the belts yourself anyway. I do think there's definitely a trend that people are pushing the "modern classic" thing on the 1*2 now but they're still very common.

Doesn't help that a lot of dealers tend to bin all the invoices now because they get all het up about data protection/GDPR.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Oh it can just go missing! I had an immaculate low mileage ph1 that my other half 'filed' the entire history to. The only thinking is that she accidentally picked it up in a pile of recycling when having a clear out😫

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Sometimes goes if they go thru auction, good to know a car has been looked after, but worth 50% of the cars value?? I don't think so.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Then you get those losers who have every single receipt including, every MOT and tax disc, and its original bill of sale.
Yet the blazin squad will tell you it’s worth f’kall because it’s got more than 120k on the clock. 😂😂
C5BC30B4-142B-4EA0-A89F-5BE94479DB60.jpeg
7D148FCB-A5DD-41DE-A8E3-1B7583DA1C3A.jpeg

MattRS182

ClioSport Club Member
  #3 PH2 172 Flamer
I bought a 182 FF last year with Recaros, 05 plate with 77k (still has 78k on) Had cage welded in, Stripping interior and wish I never now. lol

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
I get why other people lose history, other people I tend to find are useless.

Keep all mine together, folder per car and never let anyone else file it for me, seemples. Not really organised other than the order I stuff the reciepts in though

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
As said no one ever loses service history just translates to "never had a service in its life"🙄

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
The trouble with car people is that they just don’t understand when other people couldn’t give a f**k about cars.

I know plenty of people who spend loads of money looking after their cars and keeping up with maintenance, hardly any of them would think to keep receipts.

Buy on condition, nothing else should really be a factor.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
The trouble with car people is that they just don’t understand when other people couldn’t give a f**k about cars.

I know plenty of people who spend loads of money looking after their cars and keeping up with maintenance, hardly any of them would think to keep receipts.

Buy on condition, nothing else should really be a factor.

yep, to a lot of people it’s no different to a washing machine.

but then would you buy a Clio 182 if you didn’t care about cars?

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
Stuff gets lost, even important things...like wedding rings! But people don’t always keep invoices, they get a book stamped which gets lost. Or through the latest raft of GDPR, data protection nonsense people chuck their receipts in the bin! If a car comes through a dealership in PX they may just chuck the invoices for fear of breach, auction houses even offer a service to remove customer data. It’s easy to see many reasons why it would go missing, not always suspicious. Issue is when you are an enthusiast like people on a forum...that history is worth its weight in gold.

MattRS182

ClioSport Club Member
  #3 PH2 172 Flamer
182 FF - Arctic Blue 05 plate
Service history with belts done last year at Diamon by Mick
Totally standard
Very Clean

£2,600

Opinions?

Clio 197,with megan'
I have had my Meglio for a couple of years now, and spent a lot of money it. I had two folders, with receipts/mots etc, always kept in the same place.. Looking the other day, nothing.I have looked in Cupboards/draws, searched the place out. I live on my own, so no-one has thrown anything out, but at a loss as to where the paperwork is, so these things do occur, even to genuine people. I might get onto the Garage, and see if they have copies.

172 cup
The car ive just sold my wife drove for 7 years yep it had service history all the belts done gearbox serviced brakes done but if you looked at it you would of though s**t heap 😂 the only time it got cleaned was when i done it so just remember paper work is not everything
It does help get people to your door when selling though
I deep cleaned it and got it sold within 6 hours for strong money

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Trader saying service history lost = no history.

Fsh and previous lease car = no servicing.

Always buy on condition, and unless the seller is very trustworthy, consider belts as needing changing.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Another one that gets me is this:
FSH-To me means everything has been serviced as it should, including brake fluid etc etc.

FSH- To everyone else means, my 10 year old car has been serviced once and I have the receipt, so I have the “Full Service History” of the car.

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
It’s nice to have yes, but with the age of these things now it’s all about buying on condition.

Take a look at my ph1 thread, I got that from a breakers yard with just the registration document.

I managed to track down the service history, around 75% of it just buying looking at the MOT history and emailing the garages where it had been done.

They all emailed me back with work they had done, majority of it was at Renault.

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
Not sure I’d be that hung up on below 100k to be honest. I bet there’s very few cars out there I’d swap mine for regardless of their mileage and mine’s done nigh on 130k. But mine has always been standard and still has its original paint (except a smart repair on front bumper) Bodywork is one of the most important things to me as it’s expensive and most people are not very good at it if it does need doing.

Bankrupt_drunk

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Another one that gets me is this:
FSH-To me means everything has been serviced as it should, including brake fluid etc etc.

FSH- To everyone else means, my 10 year old car has been serviced once and I have the receipt, so I have the “Full Service History” of the car.

Before I bought my clio I looked at a few other cheap 4 seat cars with track day potential, including a RX8. The RX8 was advertised as having a full service history, which the seller confirmed on the phone, but when I got there and went though the receipts the history file ran up until about 2 years and 15,000 miles ago, from which point all the "History" were MOT certificates. The current owner had bought it two years ago and not spent a penny on it. Given the fragility of the engines I declined to take it any further, but got an earful of abuse for wasting his time.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Surprised you didn't smack the t**t in the mouth, what do you expect if you've not bothered to spend any money on servicing?