ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

wheel bearing gone?

Audi TT 3.2 V6
Hi, ive noticed lately im getting a really annoying drone coming from the back of my car especially when going over 30mph...i thought at 1st it was my tyres as i noticed 1 was nearly on the wear marker...so changed them...still droning so im guessing a wheel bearing.

any other suggestions? costs involved etc?

cheers, russ

182 Cup
Go out and buy the bearing yourself, I think they're about £15 then take it to a local garage and get them to fit it. I wouldnt bother with a dealers for this as they'll charge you a fortune.
Do not leave this for any longer than possible as the bearing will eventually weld itself to your shaft.

Audi TT 3.2 V6
^^ lol my cars not been near a stealer since ive owned it nor do i plan 2. any idea on labour costs?

182 Cup
If you take it to a local garage its a small job to them, a guy I know would charge me about 20 notes for it, might be diff for you. Ring around and ask.

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
Don't replace just one, do them both or in a few weeks/months you will be back to square one.

Before you start, make sure you have a socket and a torque wrench to do up the stub axle nuts.

RB 182
Take off drum and take it to somewhere to get it pressed in

I had a noisey bearing on my 172 for 1k miles, it just got louder and louder

Lots of Alfas
You can do it yourself with drums if your feeling brave, you need a bearing kit (about £20-£25) which includes a new circlip, cap and nut. take the wheel off, take the cap off the centre of the drum and undo the large 30mm nut, put the wheel back on with 2 bolts and pull the wheel so it comes off with the drum. Seperate the wheel and drum. Take the retaining circlip out of the drum with some pliers. Use the 30mm socket to push the bearing out of the drum (this is the hard part) by pressing VERY hard, a block of wood and BIG hammer may come in handy. But be carful not to damage the drum. When its out push the new one in, again the 30mm socket helps. Put the new clip in and reassamble with new nut and cap.

Black 172
My nearside rear bearing is going now so I went to my local garage to get a quote and it's gonna be £160! Outrageous!
He said it was because I have disk brakes which take ages with the ABS sensor or something. 1.5 hours work.

Anyway, is this guy a joker or is this par for the course with the 172?

Audi TT 3.2 V6
My nearside rear bearing is going now so I went to my local garage to get a quote and it's gonna be £160! Outrageous!
He said it was because I have disk brakes which take ages with the ABS sensor or something. 1.5 hours work.

ive just been quoted £140 +vat for the work, so sounds about right tbh although sounds bloody expensive for what it is lol tempted buy a torque wrench and have a butchers myself

Lots of Alfas

For £160 you can buy 2 brand new disks that include new bearings in from Renault and fit yourself, its not hard as they are only held on with 1 big bolt. There is a guide on fubars website. www.fubarnet.com

Lionel Richie
rear drums on russ' car

we're only down the road russ, if you want me to give you an idea on price russ, drop me an e-mail

J

Jim NM

I think the Clio has the same set up as the R5 (talking discs on the back not drums) The bearing is located in side the disc. I bought two new rear discs for my R5 and took the old discs round to a local garage and he pressed out the original bearings from the old discs and pressed them in to the new discs for £4 each a bargain There should be a boycott on Stealers IMO

Audi TT 3.2 V6
^^ yup fred rear drums

ive emailed you on your yozzasport email addy hope this is ok.

RARE Unmolested Corsa sxi
i only needed the one done and that was gonna be £30, but they said the other would likely go as well soon, so they did them both for £50 quid for me.

i imagine you should expect to pay around the same, but not cheaper, as i got a good deal, being a regular customer.

id say £70 max.