ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wheel bearing noise, not a wheel bearing.

Hi everyone, just to warn you this could be long, so thanks to anyone who reads it.

I have a 1998 1.6 RXE and it has just gone over 100k miles. I started getting a humming noise which disappeared when I turned left. When I jacked each wheel of the car up, I found that the rear passenger side wheel was very sticky and presumed the sticky brake had dried out the bearing or something so replaced that but the problem persisted. Then I assumed it had to be the front left after all so replaced this as well. Still the problem persists.

Now, unless my understanding is wrong, for the noise to disappear when I turn left should exclude the possibility of a RHS wheel bearing going, and there is no play at all in any of the wheels.

A friendly mechanic suggested to me something about an 'inner bearing' somewhere near the transmission which does fit the symptoms as the noise is getting louder it is noticeably originating somewhere under the center console. I'm not much of a mechanic so didn't really understand what he said, and being 80 he can be a little difficult to talk to sometimes!

Does anyone have any clue as to what this could be?

I'm looking to get rid of the car anyway but if the problem is an easy fix, i'd like to get it done first. Also, I have to drive the car back to my parents house soon as the tax is running out and I want it off the road, would anyone advise driving it at all? I'd need to drive around 70 miles...

Thanks very much for reading!

Jap Box
Got exact same problem as you, replaced all 4 bearings and the front right wheel is making a hell of a whistle/squeak noise like a bearing would. As turning left it stops too though, plus I only get the noise from 10-40mph. Mines a 1998 1.2 on 137,000 miles so roughly the same as yours.

I do 100 miles a day on it like this and have had no problems so far, bet ive cursed myslf now though :p