ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

wheel bearings

Dannyeff

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 trophy
my rear wheel bearing has went but i noticed a reciept from a garage that supplied and fitted the rear disks with wheel bearings.
these were done about 10k ago. am i right saying they will replace due to warranty?

Thanks in advance

mgd

Clio 182
how old are they?

I managed to get 2 rear 7 mth old bearings replaced under warranty, tho only about 1000 miles on them, i only use the car as a track car tho.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
They probably haven't fitted the spacer behind the disc (deflector i think it's called) or torqued the hub nut up properly.

Should get more than 10k out of them.

mk1 Octavia VRS
my rear wheel bearing has went but i noticed a reciept from a garage that supplied and fitted the rear disks with wheel bearings.
these were done about 10k ago. am i right saying they will replace due to warranty?

Thanks in advance
Did you have the discs/bearings replaced or a previous owner? You probably won't have any rights against the garage if a previous owner fitted them but I would still contact them if they are local. If you don't ask you don't get! As has been said they could have missed fitting the spacer or under/over tightened the hub nut. For the cost of the spacers and piece of mind I would recommend you buy 2 new ones from Renault Wolverhampton (Adam) or G 172 and make sure the hub nuts are correctly torqued when the new discs/bearings are fitted. There is a thread somewhere with the torque setting but I think it's around 175Nm.

Have you got wheel spacers fitted? This can put extra load through the bearings and wouldn't be covered by a warranty on parts or labour. Might still be worth a go though.

SQ5

Thanks in advance

That's usually about what they last to be honest, especially if a cheaper non-oem set.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
That's usually about what they last to be honest, especially if a cheaper non-oem set.
I got about 23 miles out of a pair of SNR rears. That's what you'd get from Renault for anyone that doesn't know. Spacer in place and torqued up to 175nm. There's a potential that the originals could've nipped up and spun on the stub axles, but there's certainly no tell tale signs that's happened though.
Not anymore though!! Larger bearing being used now. Just means machining the discs and stub axles to accommodate. f**k you small s**t bearing! Lol

FF Clio 182
The stub axle is tapered at the end so without the washer when it is tightened the bearing is forced apart. This usually results in premature failure and the inner race seizing on the stub

Dannyeff

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 trophy
Did you have the discs/bearings replaced or a previous owner? You probably won't have any rights against the garage if a previous owner fitted them but I would still contact them if they are local. If you don't ask you don't get! As has been said they could have missed fitting the spacer or under/over tightened the hub nut. For the cost of the spacers and piece of mind I would recommend you buy 2 new ones from Renault Wolverhampton (Adam) or G 172 and make sure the hub nuts are correctly torqued when the new discs/bearings are fitted. There is a thread somewhere with the torque setting but I think it's around 175Nm.

Have you got wheel spacers fitted? This can put extra load through the bearings and wouldn't be covered by a warranty on parts or labour. Might still be worth a go though.
I already got some spacers rings from g172 but I checked the paper work and just so happens they have been replaced. The garage isn't local but not too fussed to travel to sort for free. I'm going to phone then tomorrow and work out the distance to get it sorted. Defo should get more than 10k out them. The rear disks are still perfect. No spacers Ether